Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meteor shower in Chelyabinsk, Central Russia

AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Seriously incredible stuff, i would love to experience something like this, and yesterday i was reading about the 2012 da14 asteroid which is meant to miss earth by 17,000 miles today, you'd think that the meteor shower is related to the asteroid.

well the experts are saying no because this one came from a different orbit

Posted

Well I don't think I'd want to caught up in it.

A meteor crashing in Russia's Ural mountains has injured at least 950 people, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings.

Most of those hurt, in the Chelyabinsk region where the meteor fell, suffered cuts and bruises but at least 46 remain in hospital.

A fireball streaked through the clear morning sky, followed by loud bangs.

President Vladimir Putin said he thanked God no big fragments had fallen in populated areas.

A large meteor fragment landed in a lake near Chebarkul, a town in Chelyabinsk region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes, it would be brown underpants for me.. Pretty amazing thing to see all the same.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Yes, it would be brown underpants for me.. Pretty amazing thing to see all the same.

I saw one last year, a bright yellow/green fireball that lasted for a few seconds, not as big as the one in Russia though enough to light everything up, but I did think for a fraction of a second it might be armageddon lol. There does seem to be a lot of these lately, I wonder if they're linked.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I saw one last year, a bright yellow/green fireball that lasted for a few seconds, not as big as the one in Russia but enough to light everything up, but I thought for a fraction of a second it might be armageddon lol. There does seem to be a lot of these lately, I wonder if they're linked.

not sure if that was the same one i saw in sept time i think a lot of the country saw it, it was amazing to see and if i didnt have my 1 fag a day i would of missed it lol

Posted

Yes I saw that one to,it was amazing to see ! And i thought the very same, in the same space of time ! We could be passing through a dirty space in space..?

I'll be watching tonight's like a Hark.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

From NASA (SDO)..

Current estimates are that the meteor shattered 18-32 miles up in the air, traveling at approx. 33,000 mph.

According to NASA scientists, the trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north.

There are two reported types of sounds generated by very bright fireballs, both of which are quite rare. These are sonic booms, and electrophonic sounds.

If a very bright fireball, usually greater than magnitude -8, penetrates to the stratosphere, below an altitude of about 50 km (30 miles), and explodes as a bolide, there is a chance that sonic booms may be heard on the ground below. This is more likely if the bolide occurs at an altitude angle of about 45 degrees or so for the observer, and is less likely if the bolide occurs overhead (although still possible) or near the horizon. Because sound travels quite slowly, at only about 20 km per minute, it will generally be 1.5 to 4 minutes after the visual explosion before any sonic boom can be heard. Observers who witness such spectacular events are encouraged to listen for a full 5 minutes after the fireball for potential sonic booms.

Another form of sound frequently reported with bright fireballs is “electrophonic†sound, which occurs coincidentally with the visible fireball. The reported sounds range from hissing static, to sizzling, to popping sounds. Often, the witness of such sounds is located near some metal object when the fireball occurs. Additionally, those with a large amount of hair seem to have a better chance of hearing these sounds. Electrophonic sounds have never been validated scientifically, and their origin is unknown. Currently, the most popular theory is the potential emission of VLF radio waves by the fireball, although this has yet to be verified.

• Like 1

Posted

Reported numbers of injured are going up:

At least 700 injured as meteor blasts across Russian sky, causing explosions and smashing windows

Many of those wounded, 67 of whom are children, were hurt by broken glass, with three people reported to be seriously injured

While the consensus is that the explosion was caused by a meteorite, the Russian Army has been put on high alert and nationalist politicians are already suggesting a shadowy foreign plot could be behind the incident. Vladimir Zhirinkovsky, the leader of the ultranationalist Liberal Democratic Party, lost no time in accusing the Americans of “testing a new weapon†against Russia.

The Chelyabinsk region is home to key parts of Russia's civilian and military nuclear industry including Mayak, a waste processing facility that saw one of the world's worst ever nuclear accidents in 1957. Rosatom, the national nuclear energy monopoly, said that its facilities in the region were unaffected by the blast and “working normally.â€

Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry said radiation was at 'normal levels†after the incident.While no debris from the blast has yet been found, the governor of the Chelyabinsk region was quoted as saying that fragments of the meteor crashed into a lake near the city of Cherbakul, a garrison town west of Chelyabinsk.

Scientists said the explosion was likely caused by an iron-nickel meteorite “meters across†and weighing “several tons.†Valery Shuvalov, a scientist at Russia's Institute of Geosphere dynamics, said: “It was destroyed in the atmosphere and the cloud of fragments flew off, creating a shock wave...Much of the material has evaporated, the remaining pieces fell to earth.â€

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/at-least-700-injured-as-meteor-blasts-across-russian-sky-causing-explosions-and-smashing-windows-8496426.html

Posted

Incredible - first Russia now reports of a huge explosion in Cuba!!! Heads up!

Perhaps this is the real date of TEOTW when December 21, 2012 passed?!!!! Posted Image

Posted

Huge explosion in the sky in Cuba

Meanwhile, also from Cuba has been reported in an explosion sky. In the central region of the island has seen an object that fell from the sky and exploded with a great noise, which shook the houses in the place, reports on local television. In a report released this morning by Rodas, town in the province of Cienfuegos, witnesses described a very bright light that has come to have large size, comparable to that of a bus, before exploding in the sky

Marcos Rodriguez, a resident in region, as defined by the issuer an expert, reported that "everything seems to indicate that it was a fireball, which is a of stone and metal that enters the Earth's atmosphere at high speed" Experts are now examining the area for possible remains. Rodas minerals falling from the sky, the TV station added. translated-

http://www.repubblica.it

Edited by Coast

Posted

Has that incident in Cuba been confirmed? It's not on any news sites yet.

The following image from the BBC News website shows a six metre-wide hole left by a meteor fragment in the ice on Lake Cherbakul, 50 miles west of Chelyabinsk:

Posted Image

Posted

Has that incident in Cuba been confirmed? It's not on any news sites yet.

The following image from the BBC News website shows a six metre-wide hole left by a meteor fragment in the ice on Lake Cherbakul, 50 miles west of Chelyabinsk:

Posted Image

i no ive been doing the rounds on different news websites trying to find something out but nothing yet

Posted

No nothing yet, the Cuba one could well be a hoax !

• Like 1

Posted

A couple more clips featuring that extraordinary sonic boom:

"Clips of the Chelyabinsk, Russia meteor's multiple shockwaves. Wait for them and crank up your speakers. The first two have sound but the last few really have none. The last few show some of the damage caused by the meteor's shockwaves including a severly damaged brick building with bricks laying in the street. This meteor that exploded over Chelyabinsk on February 15, 2013 injured over 500 people and caused widespread damage."

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL36xQu2A4

Bish

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I've been reading and watching the different encounters and clips of this, fascinating stuff and well worth the time for newbies to NEO Project to learn about magnitudes, LD, etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well, NEO site saying this:

http://www.jpl.nasa....elease=2013-061

interesting to note the size and that they say it was ment to graze the atmosphere (so possible that gravity forced it to strike). Still though, Russia will have a better idea of what the circumstances are regarding this at the moment.

I say "ment" like they knew about it, but they actually said looks like it was going to graze, or something to that effect.

Edited by The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

“Current information, which is not yet complete nor confirmed, points to a small asteroid,â€

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Russian_asteroid_strike

Incredible stuff this, very interesting. Watched the news on BBC/ITV amazing footage. Heard on radio afternoon about something going on while i was travelling, only caught bits of it so at that point i didn't know it was a meteor although they mentioned the Asteroid and said there not connected, i gathered some big incident/event had happened, i heard the words "sonic boom" "coincidence" and "not connected" . When i saw the news my first thoughts were "wow incredible" "hope everyone is ok" then i imagined the near earth pass of the Asteroid and thought maybe it pulled in the Meteor.

Check out this Asteroid named 2004FU 162 - this predicted to near miss Earth 17/3/13 (8m size)

I found this out while searching on a space agency site, was in the list of "a risk" !!

I can't find 2004FU 162 in the list, it was there!!

Click link below, when on the site click Full Risk list. Then look at object name.

Link here:http://neo.ssa.esa.i...guest/risk-page (let me know if anyone finds info on it thanks)

It's predicted to be a near miss.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just went through the list i can't find it! that's where i got the date from under Next Earth Close Approach.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm