Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The phenomenally wet Autumn of 2000

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I remember 30th October 2000 as clear as anything.

I had booked a day off work to to drop off and collect my daughter from school as her usual transport was unavailable and also to take someone to catch a coach.

Did the transport to the coach early and drove through Bacup centre to find it quite badly flooded, the worst I had seen it, incidently until

22nd June 2012.

Got back home and then noticed that heavy rain had turned to heavy snow.

2 hours later and 4 inches of snow deeper my daughters school was closed for the day so having the day off turned out to be a lucky move.

However the thing which sticks in my mind most about it was that the step father of a good mate of mine was killed in a motorbike accident on the M1 during the height of that storm.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I recall being in year 7 or 8 at the time with a Bring and Buy Sale that evening however in the day or so leading upto it i'd been watching the satellite pictures and forecasts on the Sky News red button, i recall it being extremely wet and i honestly don't believe i've ever felt such strong winds. Even better, it turned to snow the following morning as the hook clipped us.

I'd wager that mainland England has not had a stronger storm since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I don't recall this event for any particular reason, the stats suggest it was very wet, but for here at least, I see no very strong winds, certainly nothing unusual. Now, if you want to see a proper wind storm, just look at February 1990 with wind gusts of 98 mph at Leeds Weather Centre (surely the highest of any English city?)

Edited by Aaron

Guest pjl20101

Think the reason why we had such a wet autumn of 2000 was down to a very negative arctic oscillation, a neutral PDO, a weak la Nina and a westerly or neutral QBO trending negative. It astounded me how strong the Greenland high was that autumn yet it didn't give anything particularly cold, but it was a disturbed pattern, lasted well into the winter 2000-01, march and april.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

6th November 2000: hefty 24hr rainfall totals

7th November 2000

The worst! first time (and only time) indoor sport/game rained off, as bad as cricket and tennis

• 7 years later...