Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Station Pressure

Mark Smith

Hi,

I recently got a Weather station called the WS-2350. I have a question which might be a stupid one.

There are 2 types of pressure settings, Relative & Absolute pressure. When using relative pressure it lets you set it. The problem is, i don't know what to set it to, the default is 1013mb.

Does anyone know how to find out what to set the relative pressure to?

Thanks in Advance

Posted

Hi,

I recently got a Weather station called the WS-2350. I have a question which might be a stupid one.

There are 2 types of pressure settings, Relative & Absolute pressure. When using relative pressure it lets you set it. The problem is, i don't know what to set it to, the default is 1013mb.

Does anyone know how to find out what to set the relative pressure to?

Thanks in Advance

Check local stations around you on www.wunderground.com, and look for nearby airports as they have most reliable data.

Posted

I have one of these, great for wind when installed properly. I had mine modded to get wind readings every 0.35 seconds instead of the factory default 8 seconds. You wont miss barely any large gusts with the 8 seconds mind. The one I have has been working 2 1/4 years. In this time I've had to replace the transmitter unit and rain gauge.

Here's a tip for ya, if you are using the station cabled, you don't need batteries in the transmitter, this will prolong the operational life of the transmitter.

Ric

Hi,

Thanks Tom for the link, i'm guessing that i just take the pressure from the nearest weather station and program it as the 'relative pressure' on my station..?

Richie, good tip about saving transmitter, can i ask how you modded it to send a signal every 0.35 secs? Mine only seems to send a signal every 128secs...

Thanks

Posted

In answer to your question:

Absolute air pressure provides the display of the true measured air pressure of the current time and location.

Relative air pressure is the one value that is calculated back to sea level from the local absolute air pressure and can thus be taken as a reference for weather condition and weather development for the entire country.

The way I set mine was to look on an ordnance survey map for my location and then determine it's height from from the contour lines.. Once you have that info you can then adjust the absolute settings on the unit to match your location.

Another way to identify your height above sea level is to enter your location, town or co-ordinates into http://www.heavens-above.com this gives you an approx height above sea level for your location

Edited by Dorsetbred