Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Virtual Chase thread - 2013

Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Why do all the decent storms here always go just to the north of me?! ARGH.

Posted

Well Nick, surely they're hardly going to have the national tornado place somewhere that's going to be blown away in a tornado are they?! lol

Posted

Car Maybe ?? Just an idea good.gifblum.gif

Well Nick, surely they're hardly going to have the national tornado place somewhere that's going to be blown away in a tornado are they?! lol

SPC Building has been hit at least twice in the last 5 years, last notable one was a glancing blow from an EF3 Careering down Highway 9

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted

I gave it a go, having no internet connection though meant I may as well just driven up there blindfolded.

If anything goes bang today though I shall have internet. Weirdly enough I'm currently revising MCS and supercells for a mesoscale exam on Thursday...

Edited by Nick L

Posted

SPC Building has been hit at least twice in the last 5 years, last notable one was a glancing blow from an EF3 Careering down Highway 9

Spoilsport!

Posted

Went after a split cell down Lawton and caught another one on the way back up the I-44. Nothing overly spectacular, but saw the first hail since being here. Marble-sized, not bonnet denting by any stretch but it's something! The noise it makes on the roof is crazy.

Posted

As the cold front went through, Norman bore the brunt of the line. Got 1 inch hail after an amazing light show and quite a sudden gust front. Absolutely chuffed. More of the same but more over the next 8 weeks please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

well looks like we are off, maybe a day early, stuck chaserTV on tonight and the cars look like ants around a jampot!!

Whoopee, straight from my winter interest, into my Spring interest, storm chasing!!

Posted

Watching the bee's swarm last night was interesting.

And yet....the only reported Tornado touch down was at a place called.....

PARADISE in Kansas, what a great name for a chasing team to catch a "T", not that I think anyone did, most folks were a long way away to the SW & SSE of here.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Photo of the cell east of Great Bend, KS. Quiet day but this was amazing to see...

533362_10151462001452648_480160087_n.jpg

Posted

That radar in Goodland , Kansas is going to be the one to watch today. Probably worth watching from around 4pm our time.

10% Tornado risk is very high.

Edited by matty40s

Posted

Indeed - Colby to Attwood in far NW KS for me today. Long looping hodos would suggest a medium risk of sig tors and don't be surprised to see an upgrade to medium for this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Yep, there are a few cells in that exact area to night but, so far, nothing to get too excited about.

A few developing further South but looks a bit sporadic and not explosive enough.

Posted

here we go, large cell just given first severe thunderstorm warning, ben macmillan is on it

Posted

Cells were pretty decent last night but the steering flow prevented them from getting across the CO/KS line and into the richer juice.

Today is a different proposition and a lively I44 event looks likely with a decent 0-1km shear arriving mid-afternoon along the I44 - the blend of vertical shear profiles would put me in Leo and Kens Truck Stop (greasy!) in Lawton, OK for 1pm.

Posted

oh, yes, may have to prepare the matchsticks to keep the eyes open tonight. The outlook looks very promising, Large Tornado possible and 10% probability, the WDT offce is slap bang in the middle so we might have a comsistent stream, although Bens' was excellent last night.

Posted

oh, yes, may have to prepare the matchsticks to keep the eyes open tonight. The outlook looks very promising, Large Tornado possible and 10% probability, the WDT offce is slap bang in the middle so we might have a comsistent stream, although Bens' was excellent last night.

Yes it was and I like the way these guys are streaming audio with some explanation of structure and features. Nice development IMO.

The potential this evening IMO hinges on teh interaction between the LLJ and whether it can sweep up any discrete cell moving oft the DL. Interestingly the latest NAM maxes the SRH around 02Z and into the Red River area, but the RUC holds it into SW OK.

This may be a late starter but could be interesting once it gets going.

Posted

Current obs complicate things a bit for today. AMA shows +5C AT and -2C dp in a stiff NW wind so the cold front has gone through here. However, if RUC is to be believed it should slow down quite a bit now and most of WC OK is touching 22C with decent moisture getting in on a SSE flow. Even Childress is still on the warm side. The risk is a big messy line-out before discrete cells can play the warm sector but I'm still hopeful of a few decent storms moving towards OKC after 22Z.

Virtually I'm heading towards Lawton for my greasy fry-up.

Posted

The temperature difference ove a couple of hundred miles is massive, 12deg towards denver and snowing heavily and in the 70's towards Oklahoma. I imaging ben and team were wearing thick jackets before setting off this morning and will soon be down to t-shirts

52 degrees difference between Garden City KS and Wichita KS - around 200 miles!!.

Anyone would think somethings going on.............

stormchaser_zpsc04e21d4.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Posted

Nice looking storm SW of Wichita Falls but no-one appears to be on it at the mo. The one that Ben's on isn't looking too clever now.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I like that parts of OK are under a SVR Tstorm watch despite already being below freezing! Could be some severe warned storms dropping freezing rain out west! Gage had a near severe level storm pass by and is at -1 celsius with a wind chill of -9!

Edit: Hays, KS is -2c with a windchill of -10c and has a severe warned cell over head with 1" hail!

Edited by Gorky

Posted

And we keep saying it is cold here! Brrrrrrrrr....

Posted

Major bust last night as the CF raced quickly SE and strangled the juice before anything had time to get going.

Pretty poor performance from the models IMO although SPC were quick to drop the risk once things started to develop.

A lot of chasers possibly out for the first run and dissapointed I would think - still, it happens LOL.

Edit: If you have access to Stormtrack have a look at Jeff Snyders post in the '4/9/13 NOW' thread. Fantastic explanation of the effects of the CF and the dreaded S shaped hodograph.

Edited by nsrobins