Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

mild & windy this morning....some torrential overnight rain, but for now the sun is out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

The temp in the sunshine here is a balmy 16.6c according to our temp gauge!!! rofl.gif Could this be wrong ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Its 8c here. Wind 21mph SW, Gusting 32mph. Had Heavy Rain overnight, now got some lovely sunshine, shame the wind is strong really..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The temp in the sunshine here is a balmy 16.6c according to our temp gauge!!! rofl.gif Could this be wrong ??

Yes, even for Costa del Dorset, that would be a bit unusual for a winter's day. help.gif

7.6c AT here and my gosh it was a bit blustery last night, coming back from a night out. blum.gif The snow will return, I can feel it in my bones.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Torro - the UK's Tornado and Storm Research Organisation

Interesting cell just moving into S Wales, between Port Talbot and Porthcawl - heaviest precip on SW'ern edge - possible low-topped supercell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

9.3°C here currently. It did break the 10°C barrier at 4am-ish.

The rain was crazy again last night, roads like rivers etc .. 2013 is so far turning out to be like 2012, very wet!

84.6mm falling here from last Tuesday until today. January and 2013 stand at 137.4mm. The fields are back under water, like they were leading up to Christmas. Crazy weather but i wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm looking forward to a good gale this week too. smile.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Lovely here with lots of sunshine, but windy.

Looks like a thundery shower could be heading towards gloucestershire, oxfordshire from SE wales if it keeps its intensity.

Posted

Does "feel" like that out there, T's and shorts are the name of the game today

Posted

Oh my f-ing God - my partner and I have just missed being hit by a bolt of lightning at our side door whilst having a fag. It hit the wall in front of us 2 feet away - it's burnt the wall - it was like someone switched all the lights in the world out for a nano second except for one single blindingly bright thin line. I usually stand on that stop - I have escaped death by 2 feet! Never seen anything like it - can't believe it - in shock (no pun intended). Anyone else experienced anything like it?

I was hiking on Exmoor a few years ago, we had just climbed up from a deep valley so we were on top of a rage of hills called the chains, it was a hot sunny day (shows you how long ago it was) when out of the blue this massive black angry cloud grew heading in our direction. We were very exposed even the trees up there were smaller than we were. the lightning was so intense that it took your breath away and the sound of thunder was overwhelming. The fear just rooted you to the spot until commonsense set in and I realized we were the tallest thing up there. The rain/hails, wind thunder and lightning had total transformed the landscape within minutes. To my left I noticed a small gully so I grabbed my hubby and threw us both into it. We lay face first in mud and stale water. While the storm seemed to be circulating around us I took a sneaky peek and saw lightning hitting the ground and bouncing. Then all of a sudden there was just a blinding white flash and the smell of burning, 2 feet away stood a small tree and it was where we had been stood moments before it was just a chard black smoldering stump.

It seemed to take forever for the storm to pass. By the time we got back to the car I was still shaking.

Still has not stopped me standing in back garden during a storm or chasing them. But I take great care.

kaz

Posted

I'm looking for to a good gale this week too. smile.png

Sorry cant help all the people I know called called Gale aren't goodrofl.gif

Moving on, small cell just flew through, washings got wet, damn

Posted

Torro - the UK's Tornado and Storm Research Organisation

Interesting cell just moving into S Wales, between Port Talbot and Porthcawl - heaviest precip on SW'ern edge - possible low-topped supercell.

Looks like it may hit Bristol/has hit it by now? Any Bristolians here? :)

I was hiking on Exmoor a few years ago, we had just climbed up from a deep valley so we were on top of a rage of hills called the chains, it was a hot sunny day (shows you how long ago it was) when out of the blue this massive black angry cloud grew heading in our direction. We were very exposed even the trees up there were smaller than we were. the lightning was so intense that it took your breath away and the sound of thunder was overwhelming. The fear just rooted you to the spot until commonsense set in and I realized we were the tallest thing up there. The rain/hails, wind thunder and lightning had total transformed the landscape within minutes. To my left I noticed a small gully so I grabbed my hubby and threw us both into it. We lay face first in mud and stale water. While the storm seemed to be circulating around us I took a sneaky peek and saw lightning hitting the ground and bouncing. Then all of a sudden there was just a blinding white flash and the smell of burning, 2 feet away stood a small tree and it was where we had been stood moments before it was just a chard black smoldering stump.

It seemed to take forever for the storm to pass. By the time we got back to the car I was still shaking.

Still has not stopped me standing in back garden during a storm or chasing them. But I take great care.

kaz

Wow, sounds epic! Good that you were both okay! I can imagine... You probably would just stand there in shock at first (especially if the lightning and thunder were bad!). Just shows how things can crop up out of nowhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Plug the phone straight into the wall socket, to see if the ADSL filter is U/S.

Thank you very much, changed the ADSL and got things working again,,,,,,,Was Ok last night but went off early morning[ Know that because have alarm connected landline] Just coincidence suppose went off same time had Thunder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyway thanks for helpgood.gif Edited by cerneman

Posted

Looks like it may hit Bristol/has hit it by now? Any Bristolians here? smile.png

Wow, sounds epic! Good that you were both okay! I can imagine... You probably would just stand there in shock at first (especially if the lightning and thunder were bad!). Just shows how things can crop up out of nowhere!

Sun still out here but very dark to my WNW, i expect north bristol to be hit, no thunder heard yet.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but incase anyone hasn't seen this, I would take a look at it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21220996 This forecast sums up the week quite well, and even mentions that it may get colder into next weekend? :D

Around 7C here, and the ground is very saturated from the rain last night. Fields in the area look like duck ponds again.

Posted

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but incase anyone hasn't seen this, I would take a look at it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21220996 This forecast sums up the week quite well, and even mentions that it may get colder into next weekend? :D

Around 7C here, and the ground is very saturated from the rain last night. Fields in the area look like duck ponds again.

Interesting... Just a sign, but at least it is there :D very dark clouds moving across to the north of me at the moment...

Looks like the shower has made an effort to actually try to avoid me looking at the radar!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This may seem strange but heavy shower just came through and its snowing! air_kiss.gif

temperature was 7c and dropped to 2c in shower

Edited by mullender83

Just had a freak hail storm here. Hailstones only the size of peas, but there were a few bigger ones dotted in there! Ground turned completely white again for a few minutes! 14.2mm of rain today alone.

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Showers should become increasingly thundery throughout the afternoon and evening now as upper air vorticity creates embedded waves centres (PVA), thus increasing helicity enough to create weak lapse/sheer in any decent formed cells.

Interesting afternoon convective wise. Expect anything and everything.

Posted

This may seem strange but heavy shower just came through and its snowing! air_kiss.gif

Wow! Very strange indeed. Not quite sure which one it was, can't tell looking at the radar!

Showers should become increasingly thundery throughout the afternoon and evening now as upper air vorticity creates embedded waves centres (PVA), thus increasing helicity enough to create weak lapse/sheer in any decent formed cells.

Interesting afternoon convective wise. Expect anything and everything.

Thanks AWD! :D here's hoping for a good old thunderstorm... Haven't actually had one in ages here!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

Wow! Very strange indeed. Not quite sure which one it was, can't tell looking at the radar!

Thanks AWD! biggrin.png here's hoping for a good old thunderstorm... Haven't actually had one in ages here!

It was large linear shower that just passed through somerset area I was playing a game and really wasnt paying attention then thought wow its dark then looked out window and it was coming down thick with wet snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

had that here but it was sleet more than snow, temps dropped really rapidly.

some interesting charts been thrown up, something to keep an eye for the coming week.

fromey

It was large linear shower that just passed through somerset area I was playing a game and really wasnt paying attention then thought wow its dark then looked out window and it was coming down thick with wet snow.

call of duty by any chance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Yes the same here. Temperature dropped from 8.8C to 3.9C in the space of minutes with hail and wet snow flakes all combining with an incredible gust front, and it passed almost as quick as it came.

That is stange.. I've just noticed that happened here. 8C before the hail shower, now only 4.5C! Too bad it wasn't snow..

Posted

Oh okay, I know which one you mean. That one was heading for me nicely, but the back end made an active effort to completely avoid me, and curled round slightly, leaving me with just a sight of dark clouds to my NW, and some strong gusts!

Posted

had that here but it was sleet more than snow, temps dropped really rapidly.

some interesting charts been thrown up, something to keep an eye for the coming week.

fromey

call of duty by any chance?

No I'm into a pc game called dota 2 at moment on steam good.gif Have many free copies of game to give away if anyone has steam...

Yes I wonder if we can get another shower like that one it was really quite something to see such a massive rapid drop and never expected anything that wintry!