Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Well the thaw continues.. cray.gif

3/4 inches of slush and ice on yard and drive which is quite hard to drive on still and around 6 inches on grass.

melting as I write this so not sure I shall get another official snow day sunday we shall have to see. cray.gif

8.1c

its ok you and your hill.. needs a winter break.. serous note.. end of feb march is best time for snow.. as get wet but very sticky stuff then...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

its ok you and your hill.. needs a winter break.. serous note.. end of feb march is best time for snow.. as get wet but very sticky stuff then...

Yes still time although tends to stay on ground less after february, crumb of comfort is my snow days march are higher than somerset levels in dec/jan good.gif

Tend to get a good convective element to northerlys more in march.

Mullie can lord it up on his hill as flotsam and jetsam float around the Islands of Glastonbury

"mullie" rofl.gif that was my nickname back at school rofl.gif

I'll take a picture in morning of what I have left snow wise, still 100% cover away from concrete which has holes starting.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Yes still time although tends to stay on ground less after february, crumb of comfort is my snow days march are higher than somerset levels in dec/jan good.gif

Tend to get a good convective element to northerlys more in march.

"mullie" rofl.gif that was my nickname back at school rofl.gif

I'll take a picture in morning of what I have left snow wise, still 100% cover away from concrete which has holes starting.

100 percent cover... And down beet... Damn.. If only you know how lucky you was... P.s Lets invade his castle on the hill ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Oh my f-ing God - my partner and I have just missed being hit by a bolt of lightning at our side door whilst having a fag. It hit the wall in front of us 2 feet away - it's burnt the wall - it was like someone switched all the lights in the world out for a nano second except for one single blindingly bright thin line. I usually stand on that stop - I have escaped death by 2 feet! Never seen anything like it - can't believe it - in shock (no pun intended). Anyone else experienced anything like it?

One of the best experiences I've had was at the top Glastonbury Tor on a hot summers evening with 2 thunderstorms out at sea suddenly rolling in towards the the Tor. Myself and a handful of other people I didn't know stayed as it got nearer, and what seemed like suddenly the hill was enveloped in cloud and very heavy rain, and forked lightening was happening all round the hill below and next to where we were stood, some hit the ground, some were going sideways through the air. Must have seen dozens of flashes and sheet lightening, the closest of them just feet away. One was so strong it felt like the air disappeared for a few seconds and it was hard to breathe (the thunder was very loud and instant too, I think that's how it's formed, when the air and moisture gets super heated and disperses? Correct me if I'm wrong). A few people were starting to panic at one point, but to be honest I was loving it! They got re-assured by the rest of us, hopefully the conductor on the church tower would help... I'll never forget that night, it was 1999 but feels like yesterday. I think it lasted about 45 mins.

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Blustery showers for Somerset in particular throughout daylight hours today. Come dusk and later this evening, expect some thundery showers and a possible isolated thunderstorm along channel coastal counties such as Dorset, Hampshire and into the Brighton area.

Can't post charts as this is based on the NMM and GFS extra data which is part of Netweather extra, but there is a reasonable signal for a band of heavy and possibly thundery showers later this evening to cross southern most parts of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Also, remember the 09th Feb being trundled about as the rough date for a return to colder weather. Well, coincidence or what, but the GFS 0z run shows this at that date;

post-12721-0-55754400-1359274568_thumb.j

Clearly a cool down is evident in the ensemble suite too, with the Mean (red line) reaching the magic -5hpa level in FI;

post-12721-0-96912900-1359274625_thumb.j

All seems to be ticking along just fine currently. Still a long way to go though, so nothing more than a trend currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Windy night rain and Thunder about 3.30 this morning,,,,,,,,,,,Flooded fields

Posted

The fields close to Dorchester looked flooded yesterday, so can imagine what its like today after the overnight rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Its 2.4c up on dartmoor, all snow gone apart from the big mounds made by ploughs and JCB's, muddy snow, yuck!!

On another note, I have a very rookie weather station at the moment, thinking of upgrading for next winter but not sure which manufacturers are any good. Can anyone help??

Posted

The Thunder was very loud last night, Home Alarm went off and telephone land line still down, yet got internet connection,,Not sure what causing no telephone

Edited by cerneman

Posted

Much more wind to come:

42_21.gif

42_45.gif

gfs_stp_eur42.png

gfs_srh_eur42.png

gfs_gusts_eur42.png

Posted

The Thunder was very loud last night, Home Alarm went off and telephone land line still down, yet got internet connection,,Not sure what causing no telephone

Plug the phone straight into the wall socket, to see if the ADSL filter is U/S.

Edited by jtay

Posted

Contacted landline provider there web page saying issues with landline due to weather, Phone went off early hours morning about time of thunder, Sunny here now but river very high and standing water on fields,,,,,,,,,,,,,More to come

post-18298-0-45503800-1359279977_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Cerneman...any idea what's caused the A352 to be closed just before Minterne Magna? OH was trying to go that way about an hour ago and had to turn back.

Posted

Cerneman...any idea what's caused the A352 to be closed just before Minterne Magna? OH was trying to go that way about an hour ago and had to turn back.

Been no emergency services going through,,,,,,Traffic moving between Yeovil road along A352 but don't know if diversion further along towards Mintern, Was very wet windy night and that thunder was really loud but think just one rumble,,,,,, Edited by cerneman

Posted

Next few days looking set fair not only to be windy, but throw copious amounts of the clear liquid down on us.After yesterdays 16mm and 10mm the previous day, we are already seeing run-off around here, looking to get worse.

Posted

Thanks, cerneman. He said that it was just after the road that goes down to Leigh coming from Sherborne way. He may have got through a different way and will know more when he gets back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Fantastic thunder storm last night, probably the best I've seen for a few years. plenty of lightning and loud deep rumbles of thunder.

Totally un-expected but very pleasing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Sun is shining, blustery day with wind gusting temp 7.2c humidity 72%.

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Mostly sunshine and blue skies wafted around by hefty gusts of wind (opened the neighbours bin and deposited some recycling goods along the road!) - currently 7oC. Off to top up on Vitamin D and check river levels now, being a mere 250m from the flood plains...

Happy Sunday from Henley on Thames!

Posted

ts really warmed up here after a wet and windier night

Temperature: 8.9 °C

Wind: W - SW 8mph

Barometer: 999.0 hPa

Humidity: 81 %

Todays rain: 7 mm

Monthly rain: 78 mm

Maximum temperature: 11.3 °C at time: 5:40 AM

Minimum temperature: 8.0 °C at time: 9:04 AM