Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Morning all, Dull Damp morning with drizzle in the air

Sunday morning mystery story from February 1855

On the night of Feb 8 1855 a severe snow storm hit West Country, The next morning people observed hoof like prints in snow, Stretching between 40 to 100 miles through Devon and Dorset,

Reports from Exmouth up to Topsham across Exe esturary to Dawlish,Teigmouth and Torquay, Prints reported as far east as Weymouth, The prints went through farm land,gardens and even over roof tops, Each print approx four inches long seperated by between 8 to 12 inches in single file, Many people convinced prints made by the Devil,

The London Illustrated News reported phenomenon on 3 March 1855 and came up with following theories,

1 Experimental balloon released from Devonport, dragged shackles over snow leaving prints

2 Hopping mice

3 Kangaroos escaped from private menagerie in Sidmouth

You can google this story, or look it up on Wikipedia,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Would think case of mistaken identity of prints and mass hysteria,

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

With a particularly cold wedge coming across a relatively warm sea area could produce some heavy falls,interesting..............or will this all be modified at the 11th hour?

Edited by Mark Parsons

Posted

With a particularly cold wedge coming across a relatively warm sea area could produce some heavy falls,interesting..............

Yes I have been thinking that , Although depends , Bristol Channel is only a few miles across so won't have much effect, Any Showers that come in from the Irish Sea though could have some clout with them. The Feed should get cut off by Wednesday as low pressure moves away ... Tuesday currently is our only day with any chance of anything note worthy

Posted

Just to add , the Gfs try's to bring something in Thursday night and Friday Morning that would be all Snow , but I doubt it will be there by this afternoon , But something to keep an eye on .

Posted

Yes I have been thinking that , Although depends , Bristol Channel is only a few miles across so won't have much effect, Any Showers that come in from the Irish Sea though could have some clout with them. The Feed should get cut off by Wednesday as low pressure moves away ... Tuesday currently is our only day with any chance of anything note worthy

2 days would be good, as we may get more than last time but that wont be hard as we got nothing last time lol

Edited by BARRY

Posted

2 days would be good, as we may get more than last time but that wont be hard as we got nothing last time lol

Last time was an organised system from the Channel , this time it looks more like a shower machine , and it's From the North this time , hence the lower Due point's . I'm pretty sure if there is any Heavy Precipitation about early next week it will fall as Snow. I have to say though currently accumalation charts are not showing any settled snow for our area,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

goodness me, is it that time?......yes folks, it's time for a fresh shiny new thread, so please finish off any posts and I'll post the linky to the new one on a mo

Posted

Last time was an organised system from the Channel , this time it looks more like a shower machine , and it's From the North this time , hence the lower Due point's . I'm pretty sure if there is any Heavy Precipitation about early next week it will fall as Snow. I have to say though currently accumalation charts are not showing any settled snow for our area,

Just to see a snow fall would be good as for sticking well my take on the models is that this time i have a hunch that we may be getting more cold than they are yet showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

ok, new thread thingy here ------------>

locking this in a mo