Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Very breezy here today, broken cloud and currently 3c with wintry showers to the west. Cattle now showing signs of all the attention being lavished on them in terms of feeding, clean straw bedding and shelter with shiny coats and weight gain. Last years wet/cold summer did hold them back and lots of farmers are saying cattle performance is about a month behind usual this winter. The effects of last summer will last a long time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I intentionally refrained from using such terminology - this is a family forum after all.

However, 'there's always one' as they say.whistling.gif

SS there must be some misunderstanding ....... blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A fine wee army of convective cells oot West today...

post-7292-0-28556100-1359284580_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Very sleety at times this morning, turning brighter now. Looking forward to a building high pressure towards the weekend, maybe thats the start of a cold reload?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

SS do you ever think of anything else other than videos of pussies! Shocking, quite shocking. blush.png

Where I work we all all accuse each other of strangling pine martens while favouring the wild pussies. Funny place it is...

As for another easterly... just fark right off. Gonna starting hacking a few people's NW account if they don't get on message with the northerly... blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think we should come to a lowlander-highlander compromise here - northeasterly blast followed by December 2009 style low heights and snow from

all directions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

great vid SS..... will be hiding that from the family who are keen to press me into getting a pet.... no i say except a tortoise or a bearded dragon which i became fond of in Canada a year and a half ago when lily had an encounter with a friendly little chap!!

post-15765-0-09427300-1359289170_thumb.j

Posted

Where I work we all all accuse each other of strangling pine martens while favouring the wild pussies. Funny place it is...

As for another easterly... just fark right off. Gonna starting hacking a few people's NW account if they don't get on message with the northerly... blum.gif

Aye its got to be a northerly /north easterly next time to redress the balance for northern members.

On the subject of pine martins the local woods are overun with them.Spoke to a member of the local shooting syndicate last week and he was telling me out of 200 pheasants they put in a pen in a wood next to the farm nearly all disappeared eaten or killed by pine martins(nearest takeaway and fast food outlet as they are so tame with no idea of self preservation having been hand reared and whistled in to get fed!!!!!!) .

I myself have witnessd 3 pine martin playing in the trees near the pen.Numerous pine martin are killed on the roads at night locally which backs up my statement that there are large numbers of them in this area.

Add to that black mink( mink farmescapees) at the burn running through the wood and our local woods are sterile of widlife when 40 years ago they were teeming with wildlife.

Also we are inundated with badgers who spend the summer walking up and down the tramlines in the barley and prior to that in the spring stealing all the ground nesting birds eggs. Not totally farmers fault farmland birds are disappearing.Everything in moderation is my motto including predators.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Gone very dark here, just heard a rumble of thunder and now it's pouring down.

Posted

Gone very dark here, just heard a rumble of thunder and now it's pouring down.

That's what happened this morning here. Got dark, started raining, had a flash and rumble then the hail hit was pretty short but intense

Posted

Aye its got to be a northerly /north easterly next time to redress the balance for northern members.

On the subject of pine martins the local woods are overun with them.Spoke to a member of the local shooting syndicate last week and he was telling me out of 200 pheasants they put in a pen in a wood next to the farm nearly all disappeared eaten or killed by pine martins(nearest takeaway and fast food outlet as they are so tame with no idea of self preservation having been hand reared and whistled in to get fed!!!!!!) .

I myself have witnessd 3 pine martin playing in the trees near the pen.Numerous pine martin are killed on the roads at night locally which backs up my statement that there are large numbers of them in this area.

Add to that black mink( mink farmescapees) at the burn running through the wood and our local woods are sterile of widlife when 40 years ago they were teeming with wildlife.

Also we are inundated with badgers who spend the summer walking up and down the tramlines in the barley and prior to that in the spring stealing all the ground nesting birds eggs. Not totally farmers fault farmland birds are disappearing.Everything in moderation is my motto including predators.

Mmmmmmm..... Endless debates everywhere about these beasties. I'm obliged to spend a fair bit of time dealing with them because they have legal protection but I do wonder sometimes whether we're doing the right things. Pine Marten are voracious hunters but were hunted almost to nothing; now they're protected and food is plentiful so, guess what, there are zillions of them. Try suggesting that their status could be changed though (ie not protected) to anyone in conservation - either amateur or pro - and then start running. Badgers are in a somewhat similar position but their current treatment in SW England and S Wales is based on political expediency not science.

I think I agree with your sentiment, certainly for northish Scotland - there's space for all, and if you have stock, hens or some crops or whatever, accept that there will be losses due to our wild animals - it would be a sad place with no small mammals.

Wolves anyone?wacko.pngwub.pngohmy.pngblink.pngshok.gif

Posted

great vid SS..... will be hiding that from the family who are keen to press me into getting a pet.... no i say except a tortoise or a bearded dragon which i became fond of in Canada a year and a half ago when lily had an encounter with a friendly little chap!!

Cue Mrs Slocombe type endless humour. God I used to get so embarrassed when my Dad started cackling away at that nonsense...

Posted

All thanks to that storm oot west ohmy.png

8418233178_ee6806744c_c.jpg

Very waves high.

What about low ? Talk about giving someone an inferiority complex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Squally showers, a bit of wintriness mixed in for good measure and some snow for the hills by the looks of it. Cover remains full down to about 100-150m on the north side of East Lomond, aside from some patches on the very tops, and actually even the lower hills around the Howe are maintaining over 50% cover still. Just patchy stuff here and the snowman's head has blown off which is unfortunate but his body remains in reasonable shape.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just back from taking my mum out for lunch in Perthshire. Snow levels increase North and West of Bankfoot with the deepest I saw around Dunkeld and Aberfeldy. 3C and windy there with heavy sleet so didn't risk the high road with my slidy car. I suspect the hills of the Western Highlands must be getting a good dumping this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Weather fact of the day for Perthians - between 02.30 - 03.30 the temperature rose from +2.6C to +6.3C ie. 3.7C.

Posted

Aye, wee girl ok, usual respiratory infection, regular as clockwork, and pishy weather no helping. Also been oot for lunch to Kincardane, and some serious showers barreled through, and to think warnings for wind and rain only out for tomorrow.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

I read it and though 'wtf'. Shouldn't that read very High waves? Lol

Not necessarily Snowlover2 - this is RTE or Radio Telefis Eireann ie. Irish TV. rofl.gif I am an Ulsterman by the way (without prejudice). good.gif

Posted

Driven inside by a very blustery sleet shower currently 2c and almost black as night, very stormy looking actually.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain reached here. Cool at 3.7c.

Shoulders stiffening up after clearing my mums path and drive of about 9 inches heavy wet snow this morning. A massage would be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: variety

Met office warning only out for wind for Wednesday despite tomorrow's forecast giving winds gusting to 60mph during the day. Flooding could be a problem with spring tides, heavy rain and snow melt allied to the potential for a bit of a storm surge in coastal areas, with a repeat on Wednesday.