Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

thats a cracker . Is that to arrive tomorrow ? Not had time to check yet

Nah, will go between us and Iceland.

I noticed it deepened further - down to 930mb - so it could yet knock on the door of the 920's clapping.gif

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2013026131000-2013026131500.1km.jpg

(takes time to load) ^^

post-18389-0-44730500-1359229928_thumb.j

Posted

Off to Glenshee tomorrow - I vow to build a snowman in remembrance to all those who have fallen (or are currently falling) in the Central belt. Wha's like us, gie few an their awe deid!

I'll keep a look-out for snowmen. Think even the GS ones are going to get rained on tonight though. I'm heading up there later tonight, blow-up mattress, sleeping bag in sleeping bag, single malt to help me sleep. dirol.gif

Had a great few hours on Hart Fell above Moffat today. Snow was so nice that it made for some of the best skiing I've ever had in Scotland away from good days in the Back Corries etc. Absolutely stunning weather for most of today too which was good because you could see the avalanche prone areas of wind slab to avoid. Some safe, steepish lines could be had above the gully drifts though. Spot the ski tracks wink.png ...

16lydjk.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

I'll keep a look-out for snowmen. Think even the GS ones are going to get rained on tonight though. I'm heading up there later tonight, blow-up mattress, sleeping bag in sleeping bag, single malt to help me sleep. dirol.gif

Had a great few hours on Hart Fell above Moffat today. Snow was so nice that it made for some of the best skiing I've ever had in Scotland away from good days in the Back Corries etc. Absolutely stunning weather for most of today too which was good because you could see the avalanche prone areas of wind slab to avoid. Some safe, steepish lines could be had above the gully drifts though. Spot the ski tracks wink.png ...

16lydjk.jpg

Lovely...currently 0 degrees and snow at Glenshee, hopefully they'll hang on to their 'dry winter snow' of today for my first lesson on the sticks - I'm a boarder but have embraced the skis for the sake of the kids. Enjoy your airbed avec dram!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

skiing next Friday worried about the wind next week snow will be fine above 2500ft.Rain here 5.4 c

Posted

Snaw now taking a pasting.

Cracking pic of the moonrise.

sÊžloÉŸ ÊŽÉp ÉılÉɹʇsn∀ ÊŽddÉH

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Raining here too. 3.4C. Ski slopes should be fine I think. At worst a bit wet lower down. Snow showers forecast tomorrow []for the hills] though don't know if many will get across to the East. Doesn't look now as if the mild spell will cause much damage to the mountain snow cover.

Edit. Live eyes show what looks like snow currently at Glenogle and Drummochter.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

appears to be snowing on the Eaglesham moor or am I seeing things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

appears to be snowing on the Eaglesham moor or am I seeing things.

Maybe not. Looks wintry at Soutra A68 too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Last post from me on that low which bombed out at 930mb, potentially 6th lowest on record for an Atlantic depression.

post-18389-0-81844800-1359236838_thumb.j

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow fields of fife holding up remarkably well so far given the rain and general thaw today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Snow cover intact here. Steady thaw during the day and the rain is now belting down. Not making a huge impact yet - still pretty chilly oot.

Currently 1.2ºC/1ºC

Max 3.1ºC

Min -0.7ºC

So, not exactly tropical today...

Going by the latest ECM and GFS, we could be looking at chillier weather again as early as next weekend and the longer term signals still point to a return to the freezer later on in the first week in Feb. GP's just posted this in the strat thread, too, which gives grounds for optimism (for coldies): http://forum.netweat...80#entry2575197

Hopefully, this time, the snaw will return for all kilters. good.gif

Edited by Polar Gael 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

On the Royal Yacht Brittania drinking free whusky ha !

Missing pub run fun

Mon the greeny high

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

The view across the Forth to Fife today made parts of it look like some arctic peninsula.

Snow fields of fife holding up remarkably well so far given the rain and general thaw today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The view across the Forth to Fife today made parts of it look like some arctic peninsula.

It is notably snow covered, certainly northwards and eastwards of Kirkcaldy, some real snowfields the likes of which I haven't seen since December 2010. Ironic after it struggled so much to lie in the first place! I'm curious as to whether Scotster is still seeing this stuff falling as snow up his way, 3.6/2.4C which is far from mild but still not all that close to being snow. If 300+m can weather the coming 12 hours with snow cover not seeing major degradation then I don't think we're likely to see much more net loss of snow cover and in fact for the NW highlands there will probably be substantial gains:

13012818_2618.gif

And I don't see the freezing level getting much higher than it will be overnight in the next few weeks:

PPVM89.png

fax120s.gif?27-12

This last chart would be something else for Inverness northwards snow-wise.

Posted

The latest charts seem to back up what was thought.After 5TH we could be in for 7 days of real cold.Although it appears to be a Scandinavian high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Pub run is trying for the Greenie High & a northerly in FI. Long way out yet but hopeful signs. Just need to shunt it a wee bit west and OOFT!

All together now...BLAW!

post-736-0-81943500-1359243225_thumb.png

Posted

Also, I'll have exclusive 'right way round snow man' pictures tomorrow once I get round to uploading them, a work of art he was, but then I've been saving all that snow sculpting talent for the last two winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Most definitely raining up here and has been from the start. Still, today was a day to be savoured if you were able. It stayed sunny in the Lomonds through til about 2pm and then there was a brief burst of brightness just before sunset. Bonkers deep snow across the hills today which made the going quite difficult even in snow shoes. Got progressively wetter and stickier as the day went on.......but none of that appeared to deter the lunatic fell runners heading up from Scotlandwell.

Not my cup of tea whatsoever but fair play to them! Shorts 'n' all, in this weather!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Home from the Royal Yacht, hideous furniture, smart toilets, weird tour with most eccentric old school tour guide ever, asked him when boat last used got a lecture aboot hong kong. Very pretty, apparently £12 quid a pop for a tour no danger would i ever pay that even to see whre charile and Di had honey moon!

Thanks work for the free bar which sadly ended all of a sudden... then 7.20 for a Talisker which I gave up on and had a house red.

Weird nicht !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Home from the Royal Yacht, hideous furniture, smart toilets, weird tour with most eccentric old school tour guide ever, asked him when boat last used got a lecture aboot hong kong. Very pretty, apparently £12 quid a pop for a tour no danger would i ever pay that even to see whre charile and Di had honey moon!

Thanks work for the free bar which sadly ended all of a sudden... then 7.20 for a Talisker which I gave up on and had a house red.

Weird nicht !!!

despite the hideous royal crapness, would have gladly gone to escape what is taking my weekend - a last minute soddin taax return!! alleviated slightly by d*u*s but not enough.

Er waether, qwell there must be some out there somewhere as the faxes are v[fuxes and lots of dark reds bitses on the gusty ones. Hey ho.