Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Well this cold spells ending last nite started as snow settled pretty nice then turned to rain the ground went wet then turned back to snow ended up with 1 or 2 cms finally got to see sun been rubbish cold spell here if we get another one hope its better lol

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Actual new snow was 7cm total at 8.45am. Total depth 16cm now considerably less. Been up to Graves park this morning pretty nice. The 4cm early on was on the car and on the road Farmans and you've got to remember it was already melting and the road had been gritted so it would be less.

I know some like to exaggerate depths and if it had been 12cm to 15cm of fresh snow I would have had second thoughts about doing the early shop. If it was deeper than that my driving skills are a lot better than I think lol.

Posted

10cm of fresh snow last night here in Sheff. Measured 24 cm on grass and wall top

How high are you pretty sure you're higher than me.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Just had a shock, looked at the weather station and the temps showing 8.7C, my body told me this is incorrect so i looked at the temp sensor and it was hanging in

the direct sunlight with a pile of snow on the floor beneath it, looks like a shed avalanche ripped the shield from it and mangled it so time to get the tools out and

improvise. Difficult to gauge what fell last night with drifting, getting wildly fluctuating measurements but 4.5" to 5.5" looks about correct which is very good considering

we only had very heavy snow for 2hours.

Beautiful sunny day, the suns not making much of a dent in the lying snow cover, its going to take some shifting when the rain hits and its going to get messy.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Big thaw here now, around 40cm level snow, at this rate and with the weather system blasting in from the Atlantic it should all be gone here by tomorrow evening at the latest !

Posted

Big thaw here now, around 40cm level snow, at this rate and with the weather system blasting in from the Atlantic it should all be gone here by tomorrow evening at the latest !

It's better quickly going than just slush that lingers with no chance of a top up :p

Posted

How high are you pretty sure you're higher than me.

10cm here as well fresh last night - Crookes, Sheffield.

I went driving up Ringinglow Road and then to Hathersage around 8am this morning on winter tyres - some roads ploughed, but others have roughly 8 to 10 inch depth with drifts on side above my waist - obviously quite high elevation there though!

Posted

Davis showing a rain rate of 2mm an hour at the moment. Temp still rising as well.

Posted

Wow was well worth getting up at 8:30am. Fresh covering of 15cm level snow which would of been 20cm as the snow was higher than the kerb line last night!

Been snowboarding over the little hills back of my house called Cusworth.

Will post photos soon :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wow was well worth getting up at 8:30am. Fresh covering of 15cm level snow which would of been 20cm as the snow was higher than the kerb line last night!

Been snowboarding over the little hills back of my house called Cusworth.

Will post photos soon :)

Our snow turning to mush fast now .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm in two minds about preferred types of thaw. On general grounds I prefer a quick thaw to a slow slushy icy one with no hope of top-ups, but on the other hand, I would rather have a bright spell with gentle afternoon thaws in the sun than a wet and windy breakdown with a rapid thaw and widespread flooding.

However we have to take what we're given and a wet and windy breakdown scenario looks imminent tonight.

I agree that it was well worth getting up at 8:30am (as I also did, to take some photos).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy rain last night for couple of hours put a stop to any great levels around here

Still snowing here at Midnight , but slush and muck now.x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Thaw underway obviously, but I'm glad I got to experience that great snowfall last night, and that's the second time in 5 years that I've experienced 10 inches of level snow or more. Can Leeds rightfully claim its place as England's snowiest city now? blum.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Photos of the event and walk this morning and snowboarding

774997_10151232520366592_399568764_o.jpg774659_10151232520381592_1505987252_o.jpg

740087_10151232520511592_989574520_o.jpgpost-1104-0-06136200-1359206971_thumb.jp

792151_10151232520636592_642766612_o.jpg774448_10151232520921592_2068847784_o.jpg

775198_10151232521551592_1959910716_o.jpg773748_10151232521656592_869997783_o.jpg

555184_10151232521706592_581207776_n.jpg

Edited by Craigers

Posted

The neighbours didn't make it in yesterday evening, so I have dug down to them and it's gone now.

small_0610.jpg

Drifts didn't quite block this road to the sheep.

small_0614.jpg

Posted

A decent fall over night, 4inches looking at it, we have about 1ft of laying snow now as previous snow fall accumulation hadn't melted at all.

I measured in the garden and we had 10inches, in our field and the lane there is a lot more though, blowing snow?

Posted

What a fantastic day. Went out for a 5 mile circuit of the village, up the hill, along the Wolds tops and back down another hill. Took 3 hours!!!! Mainly because I took a couple of hundred photos but also it was really hard work struggling through snow a foot deep in places.

The farmers on the top had done a great job with snow clearance, but that didn't stop a guy in a Range Rover from ending up in the ditch. He was there with a mate in another 4wd (no not you from the NYM!!!) and I got some photos of them digging it out, but had to be a bit careful as he wasn't happy!!!!

Great wildlife about and loads of tracks, but the best was watching a stoat playing in the snow, he as having a great time. I couldn't get anywhere near enough to take a decent shot without alerting him sadly.

Have been back to clear the snow off the drive and depths are hard to work out. It's a minimum of 6 inches but a lot of it is 8 and even 10 inches deep of fresh snow, but there was a fair bit of drifting, on the grass is back to 25cm again.. On the tops it's deeper and drifts are up to 3 feet deep.

Max last night was 0.1 before falling back to below freezing again. Not a huge thaw here yet either, max 2.5 so far. Has been lovely and sunny but clouding over now. Today reminds me very much of the morning after the 95 event when I lived in Penistone, though not as deep.

Posted

Looks like everywhere had a good dump of snow last night except for here. Started off as snow but quickly turned to ice pellets before turning to rain. Work up this morning to a very icy slush mess with little if any covering. I would love to know what went wrong as conditions seemed fine for snow. Went to Louth this morning and they had at least 3 inch, even in the town centre. Shouldn't complain though, to have 14 days snow cover at near enough sea level is not to be sniffed at.

Posted

The event was actually a bit of a disappointment here. Despite snowing for most of the night we managed around 5cm of new level snow. It was very poor quality stuff though, extremely slushy and wet. I have a feeling that the two hours of freezing rain, sleet and hail around midnight had a huge impact of depths as 8.8mm has melted in the rain gauge already. If it had been all snow I imagine we'd be not far off 9cm new snow and thats not including whats left to melt in the gauge.

We've had a max temp of 5.2C here today, but despite the lower amounts theres still a 100% cover on the grass. This is the 13th day with snow on the ground at 0900 so it will be pretty cold underneath.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Thaw underway obviously, but I'm glad I got to experience that great snowfall last night, and that's the second time in 5 years that I've experienced 10 inches of level snow or more. Can Leeds rightfully claim its place as England's snowiest city now? blum.gif

Sadly i think Newcastle probably beat us due to the showers early in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Here comes the Atlantic to wash the rest away. Not a bad cold spell, didn't get as much here as others but it was enjoyable nevertheless. Lets see what the models turn out in the next few days in regards to the next cold snap (if there is one). good.gif