Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheeky_monkey

Tenuous Connections to Famous People

Let's hear all about your feeble links to famous people, e.g. was at school with X's sister.... my cousin babysat for X... my mum used to go out with X's brother when they were teenagers... played football in the same team as X but not at the same time...

The more tenuous the connection and the crappier the famous person the better, but must be true.

Starter for ten:

i played in the same football team as Paul Ince for 2 years...bit more tenious my friend's uncle is Jasper Carrot or his cousin or something like that.

i once shared a breakfast with Adam Faith at fleet services on the M3 before he died obviously.. i dont think the breakfast and his death were connected either?

i built a hotel for Greg Dyke when he was the director general of the BBC and went to dinner with his wife (minus Mr. Dyke) she was much younger than him blonde and not half badgood.gif

My Uncle is Sting's head gardener

My friend went to school with George Michael

A friend of a friend was in a Peter Gabriel video

I was in a Chinese restaurant 17 years ago at the same time as Steve Mcfadden AKA Phil Mitchell from Eastenders

I'm sure theres more, I'll have a think ....

I hear that 2.5 million peeps are related to the Royal Family. Could that explain why they are all on the 'alternative' Civil List?

My class mate had a cousin who used to give him freebee album records (cd's or mp3 files in new money) and some class mates used to buy them from him. Cousin's name is Chris Squire from the 70's prog rock group Yes with Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

Long , long time ago. sleep.png

George Young MP house of commons cycles by occasionally on a Sunday when it's not snowing.biggrin.png

Edit :

Ha ha just remembered a dark haired girl of 15 used to be part of our village gang when I was growing up

Here name was Sheree something or other and when she turned 17 or so became a regular page 3 Sun model.

She never got them out when I was around though smiliz19.gif

Edit :

Here's another. Can't say I'm into football but also in our village gang was my nearby neighbour Nigel Spakeman who I went to school with although he was a year or so younger than me.

He got a trial for Bournemouth FC then played for Chelsea and Liverpool (I think) and Rangers. Think he might still be kicking around as a manager these days although not sure.

Many moons ago when I was a runner our team of 4 gave Steve Ovett and team from Brighton and Hove a good hiding in the 4 x 3 mile relay road race. Still got the medal. Never raced against Lord Coe though.biggrin.png

Ha ha Sally Taylor of BBC South let the door go in my face once when working at the Southampton studios.

Led Zep's manager's son pushed me down a flight of stairs at school. I can't remember exactly what it was I said that annoyed him...

The previous life partner used to bang on about her ex boyfriend Pete's creativity and exuberance as if it were a good thing. As a Yorkshire lad, I can't say I understood what she was talking about and let it pass me by.

One night in the early noughties, we settled down on the settee and Top of the Pops was on.

Oh Christ she said 'It's Pete... ...and Carl'.

Turned out it was Pete Doherty and Carl Barat and they were The Libertines.

She'd gone from the future Rock'n'roll icon of our time, to a bloke who kept a record of the most times he'd ever sneezed in a row.

Isn't it funny how things turn out.

Edit - It's 6. In my 206, on the M27 by Rownhams services.

The previous life partner used to bang on about her ex boyfriend Pete's creativity and exuberance as if it were a good thing. As a Yorkshire lad, I can't say I understood what she was talking about and let it pass me by.

One night in the early noughties, we settled down on the settee and Top of the Pops was on.

Oh Christ she said 'It's Pete... ...and Carl'.

Turned out it was Pete Doherty and Carl Barat and they were The Libertines.

She'd gone from the future Rock'n'roll icon of our time, to a bloke who kept a record of the most times he'd ever sneezed in a row.

Isn't it funny how things turn out.

Edit - It's 6. In my 206, on the M27 by Rownhams services.

Mine, as counted by the hysterically laughing blokes in the office I worked in at the time, was 47.

When I was about 10 I once got to stroke Shep (the famous Blue Peter dog) - now THAT'S a claim to fame :). Lived in the same village as John Noakes at the time.

Mine, as counted by the hysterically laughing blokes in the office I worked in at the time, was 47.

47 sneezes? Crikey.

Played a league darts match against Eric Bristow once (I lost). Used to work part time in a petrol station & had Ray Reardon as a regular on a Sunday morning also served England wicketkeeper Bob Taylor on a couple of occasions. This has to top the lot though....I once amended Jean-alain Boumsongs (sp) electricity account when he played for Newcastle!

Mine are I have met Tom Baker shopping in Marks and Spencer in town.

Talked to Barbara Windsor shopping in Harrods

Saw Victoria Wood in the ladies toilet of the London IMAX cinema and told her how much i loved her in dinner ladies lol that's all i could think of saying to her.

My father in law was manager of the national Film Theater and got to meet the Queen every year at the national film festival. She knew him by his first name he worked there for 25 years.

His boss was Sir David Attenborough.

And last but not least my daughter went on a date with a boy band called V and both daughters knew the boys from Busted.

i sat next to Nick Berry out of that there Eastenders and Heartbeat at a West Ham home game back in the late 80s he was with some tidy sort...judging by her i guess every loser does win lol.

I went to school with Posh Spice and was in a lot of the same classes..she was very quite at school and a nice polite girl from memory...

I served Gazza in his spurs days at my uncles shop in Cheshunt (Turnford) when he popped into buy a Mars bar (I kid you not) and bumped into him in the fishing shop by turnford college a year later

Is that tenuous enough :-)

47 sneezes? Crikey.

I can make myself sneeze so long as a light is on or it's sunny, it's probably quite a common "gift".

I saw Heather (dead character from Eastenders) in Primark at Lakeside just before Christmas. Does that count?

Failing that, years ago, the BBC did a morning programme called 'City Hospital' that was filmed at the hospital Trust that I work at. I got in a lift with Nick Knowles (DIY SOS fame) crammed against his arm-pit as the lift was packed - and didn't know until my colleague told me once he had left the lift rolleyes.gif (and his arm pit didn't offend!) laugh.png

I've got an old U2 record "Under A Blood Red Sky". It's signed by both Bono and the Edge and has a wee message that reads "Mmm maybe one day I'll grow up to be a cowboy". I got it by pure chance by calling into a local auction house that was being renovated by old work friends. They were about to throw a stack of about 30 records in to the skip so being a big music fan I said I'd take them and later found the U2 record. It's estimated to be worth at least EUR700!rofl.gif

I was reliably informed that I was not born but found behind a gooseberry bush.

Haven't really had a lot to do with personages, though met a couple of landed gentry in my time but can't recall who they were - I have met a few murderers but we are better off without them, so forget that - a girl I knew had a friend who was at a party with Princess Margaret and HRH helped with the washing up.

After I retired from the 'old bill' I went into freelance investigations for insurance companies and I am almost certain that one of those I interviewed once was Damian Lewis - he was making a claim in respect of a stolen motorcycle and said that at the time of the theft he was studying at RADA.

Oh nearly forgot - in the days of Z Cars, they were filming around Hemel Hempstead and one night after late turn I went up to the station bar to find Stratford Johns, Frank Windsor and their writer there drinking in the atmosphere so to speak trying to find out what us bobbies were really like - had a very enjoyable chat with them and Stratford Johns was exactly the same in real life as Inspector Barlow but Frank Windsor, though he played hard man was really a big softie but more credit to him for playing a hard man so convincingly.

On the other hand when I have gone to sleep at night I have dreamed about some pretty influencial people :)

Saw two members of A Flock Of Seagulls in a pub a few years ago.

I think I was the only person sad enough to recognise them!

I'm distant cousins to Roger Moore. Pretty fab but I've never met him!

Remembered another. Years ago I took my then 16 year brother for an interview at the local Little Chef for a summer job. While he had his interview I waited in my little mini in the car park.

Been sat there 10 minutes when out of the Little Chef walks alleged TV funny men Cannon and Ball (anyone remember them?). They got into a van, reversed, hit a car and drove off!

As child I had Emlyn Hughes chew chewing gum in my ear whilst we had a photo taken.

Also met Clarissa Dickson Wright and she signed a cookery book for me.

Iv'e got a Jim Fix'd it for me badge.

Bet that's lost a bit of it's shine now. I'd imagine it's moved from the mantelpiece to a dusty draw.

I used to drink in the same pub as Fred the weatherman. Could always tell what the weather was going to be like on leaving the pub going off Fred's clothes and whether he had a brolly with him.