Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whats the difference between the GEFS Operational run and the Control run?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Just a quick question that has had me lost since joining the site.

Posted

The operational run is the mean GFS run, the control run is the GFS ensemble run which is started without any adjustments made to it's initial data. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi

I am also trying to understand the difference between the operational and control run.

Paul - you say above that the operational run is the mean GFS run. However, if I look at the graphs there is separate line for the GFS mean and it is different to the operational. Confused!nea.gif

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...
Posted

Operational run = high resolution model, no change to initial conditions

Control run = as operational model but a lower resolution model (i.e. less horizontal and vertical grid points)

Ensemble runs = the lower resolution model (same as control run) but with small changes to initial condtions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Is the control not a bit pointless then?

I wonder if anyone really knows as I have heard so many conflicting reports of what each is etc.

So long as it shows cold that is the main thing in winter and warmth in summer! blum.gif

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

No the control is a "control" when it differs from the op then you know the resolution is having an effect on the outcome.

Helps identify when the Ensemble spread is due to initial condition variations as opposed to resolution issues.

Eg given the below graph

t850London.png

We get a similar result until the 8th of April. Then something quite different. Doesn't invalidate the rest of the ensembles, but does make you aware that the differences could be due increasingly just to resolution issues.

Also I note that a point difference (T850 at one location) may only represent a small difference to the overall evolution just magnified at that one point, you would need to look at the overall synoptics.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot