Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How will the Winter of 2012/2013 be remembered?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Dec 09 was a snowy month in many locations, we had 10 inches lying on the morning of 21st. Admittedly the West midlands saw little snow during the month, but for the country as à whole it has to tank as snowy. Overall it was a snowy winter, the most snowy since 95/96 and coldest since 78/79.

Dec 09 was a much better event here in EA than Dec 10. Huge falls of pristine powder followed by crystal blue sky ice days. This winter has been fine for me. As long as I get one decent snowfall which lingers for a couple of days, I'm happy.

Posted

We did miss all of the heavy stuff that winter, but even for the UK it's a strange classification. It was only the period 5-15 Jan where most of the UK was snow covered, not whole months like 47, 63 etc. Dec and Feb had very little lying snow over large areas of the Midlands and south- only Scotland could have been called "very snowy".

That is the greatest weakness of the Bonacina catalogue. You are going to get local variations whatever. 1929-1930 is down as average but the London area hardly had any snow.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

In my locality one oddity is that February was the coldest of the three months, but also the least snowy. That must be quite unusual.

All three months were colder than average, but December only slightly so.

The other interesting point is that despite some cold and snowy spells, there were no very (let alone exceptional)low temperatures, the lowest being -6.5 C on 22 January. That's no doubt due to the extensive cloud cover. One disappointment in what has generally been a good winter for a coldie here has been the lack of cold crisp clear mornings (like this one!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

i guess you cant have it all,we have had 3 winters recentlyall let down from being exceptional,2010very little wind and lacking severity for long enough,10/11little happened after the new year,lacking snow and wind and this winter mostly cold yet no severe periods but what an incredible end all of them were very different yet overall similar in total severity,i guess we are all wanting 1979,1963 or 1947 but even these 3 were all severe in very different ways

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Here's my punt. Wind, rain and floods into early Feb, followed by a northerly and more snow. Then very mild for early March!

Do you want to have another guess ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Do you want to have another guess ?

Looking at the March CET competition I don't think anyone had much of an idea as to how the month would pan out, cannot remember when nobody got remotely close to what the final figure is likely to be in any previous month rofl.gif

Posted

Looking at the March CET competition I don't think anyone had much of an idea as to how the month would pan out, cannot remember when nobody got remotely close to what the final figure is likely to be in any previous month rofl.gif

I agree. I think few people expected "winter" to drag on to the beginning of April!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It will be remembered for the extraordinary month that was March 2013.

Edited by 22nov10blast