Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

Please use this thread to continue your regional weather discussions :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A week to 10 days or so coming up where the best we can hope for is some cold zonal weather or a northerly toppler until the remaining vortex energy crosses the Atlantic.

After that anything could happen, though by the end of February the chances of any prolonged cold and snowy spells starts to grow quite thin.

Posted

Lets hope we see a lot more of this in the next few days. ..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130124/18/384/npsh500.png

Shades of December 2010 if that comes off.

Posted

This probably won't go down well, but I am glad to see the end of this cold snap. Ive been making hospital visits and its been hairy driving in the ice and snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

well folks batten down the hatches if the weather pans out the way met eireann predicts for the next seven days.

heavy rain here and a good bit milder.

Posted

Yes I'm glad that we are getting a break from the snow as well. Travel in and out of Belfast has been a complete nightmare the last seven days. Not saying I don't want more snow but I'm just glad for the break at the mo! Least it's not boring with rain and storms forecast.

Posted

It was fun in the run-up to the snow event and while the snow was fresh, but then it iced over and became dangerous. The rain is welcome. However, despite the downpour there is still a considerable amount of lying snow. Next week could be interesting for different reasons.

Posted

Some serious flooding on the mountain road between Cookstown and Claudy! Some parts of the road had a foot of water on it and rivers coming from the fields! Now if this was snow falling from the sky then I'd say this would have been something special! Hopefully see the cold back in February!

Posted

To be honest,what some of us had in the east the last week was special! Never known it to snow heavy continuously for approx 10 hrs on two separate days within the space of three days. I had at least 6-8 inches on the ground since last fri until last night! Not bad for a cold spell in this country! More than we could ask to be honest. But as u say here's hoping everybody sees some before winter is done. As time is now marching on.

Posted

To be honest,what some of us had in the east the last week was special! Never known it to snow heavy continuously for approx 10 hrs on two separate days within the space of three days. I had at least 6-8 inches on the ground since last fri until last night! Not bad for a cold spell in this country! More than we could ask to be honest. But as u say here's hoping everybody sees some before winter is done. As time is now marching on.

I assume you mean the north east??

I live in the most easterly county there is and we got nowt but sleet and snizzle and a small amount of graupel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I'm glad of the milder weather for now too. Can't top my heating up for a couple weeks and just about to run dry, so good.

Anyone know what time it is?

It's whiskey time.

Had offers to play snooker for money tonight but had a night out planned, so making them wait.

Anyone any more ideas for the Ireland meetup? I'd like it to be a single night, at a time when nothing much is happening (ie holidays, etc), somewhere in the middle so an equal distance for those on each side of the border. Enniskillen could be a good shout.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Sorry to hear about your father pomeroysnow,condolences to you and your family.

Posted

Sorry for your loss Pomeroysnow.

Ar Dheis de go raibh a hAnaim Dilis.

Posted

Thnks folks, life goes on, I will really miss him he was a big charcter as was evident at the amount of mourners at the wake and funeral.

Anyway looks like it is going to be mild for a while later then a chance of wintry showers as the front passes on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Well I buried my Dad today, thanks for your thoughts folks, of course the weather added to sadness of the occasion. I f you are fortunate enough to still have your Parents love them and cherise them.

Good Luck

Sori to hear of your loss pomeroy. Thoughts with you at this difficult time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

The day started sunny with a slight frost overnight low 1.7c. It soon clouded up,heavy rain atm current temp 8.3c.

Posted

There's been little or no mention of the lows heading our way this coming week except in relation to wheher they do (or do not) have bearing on a future cold spell, yet-they look nasty, the GFS in particular looking quite dramatic. We're in the firing line.

Posted

It's very wild here in Celbridge this evening, and also at Casement, whereas at Dublin Airport things are much calmer.

DUBLIN AIRPORT SSE 16 kts

CASEMENT SSE 29 gust 41 kts

Most likely a Föhn effect from the mountains.

Meanwhile that storm has brought 64 knot sustained speeds, gust 78 knots, to Vestmannayjaer, southern Iceland at 1800Z.

http://www.ogimet.co...6hora=18&vwi=Wi

Edited by Su Campu