Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Moderate snow here, temp at 2C with dew at -0.5! Starting to stick to roads! I wonder if the main front starts off as snow?Or anymore showers intensify as they pass over us?

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Temp still rising rapidly here, 2.2c now and a fierce wind. The only positive is that the dewpoint is still down at -2.3c as the air is pretty dry. No reports of snow in the Ireland thread so the end of this cold spell is approaching fast. Been good while it lasted though!

Posted

oh yes - what's this pantomime? oh no he isn't - oh yes he is - yep - i've been saying to them i know certain things etc etc - and with my experience etc etc - they are seriously considering hiring me - we shall see! - don't want a main capacity job there - cause i have my own businesses to run in music - but i could help them out in an advisery role on the tel and e-mail

edit:- it's blizzardy type weather here right now - just as I forecast! lol

well done you,I support you 100percent,just plz stay on here,I look forward to reading your posts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

seems to be turning to rain here now

Posted

we have had moderate snow for the last hour, not sticking though but nice to see.

oh yeah for those using mobile location is Barry

Posted

Just got back from bridgend and sleety rain down there with a few flakes mixed in,ogmore sleet and wet snow,nantymoel wet snow half way up hill to me and the snow get dry and then in cwm and guess what its sticking on cars and roads,doing my head in now but looking at radar should stop soon thanks god, as spoke last night height makes such a huge difference, temp in car down bridgend was 3.5 down ogmore 2 up here 0.5. come on snow go away for a week or so ha ha.

just got up and looked and its the very very fine stuff now coming down and blowing off the roof of house in front but I think and hope this is the last for now.

Edited by welshwizard

Posted

Moderate to heavy snow in west Newport at the moment, not expecting it to settle before the rain moves in. No one can deny though it's been a great cold spell. Falling snow most days in the last week, and for us in Newport, the eighth day of lying snow- it's already beaten last winter hands down. Who knows what February will bring. :)

Posted

Temp has actually dropped to 1.5C since last posting on this thread! More showers now starting to intensify as they come across the B.Channel.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Andy,

As it happens, the Met Office were looking for Trainee forecasters anyway so they probably said HR will have you apply etc - as is normal. Here is some of the criteria for these roles as per Met Office website....

Required Standard of Mathematics and Physics for Trainee Forecasters

In order to be able to fully benefit from the intensive training programme provided, Trainee Forecasters will need to have ability in Mathematics and Physics to at least AS Level or equivalent and as a guideline should have some understanding of the following areas: Mathematics: Linear algebra and vector calculus Differential and integral calculus Ordinary and partial differential equations Probability theory and statistics Information and communication technology Numerical methods Physics: Fundamentals of mechanics Basic thermodynamics Wave theory/Fluid Motion/Turbulence Basics of electromagnetic radiation/electromagnetism Competence in these areas will be tested during the technical assessment.

JK

Posted

the forecast I saw this morn said rain for wales but today we seem to have had everything from rain to sleet to snow. anyway looking at radar it should stop soon but is that over Ireland rain or snow? anyone know what it will bring to us?

Posted

Showers in B.Channel have intensified, with yellows and reds, seems to be heading right for my area but will it be snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Believe it or not temperatures are falling here. It was 2.7C at 10am. 2:10pm now and the temp is 1.3C with occasional bursts of sleet and snow

Posted

Odd that the tempreature is falling ? must be a lot of mixed cold air in this front? Bearing in mind the atlantic is heardly mild atm, if anything it's rather cool, could this keep snow in higher elevations? and bring us into a cooler more zonal period which will allow snow to continue to lay above 300m? Possibility, unlikely but this is not a raging atlantic front that will change temperatures overnight as is evidently shown.

Posted

it better bloody melt it up here with me ha ha we need a break for a week or 2 then come back with a huge 82 blizzard for a week then go away until next December and give us a 76 summer, pretty please.

Posted

Raining here now, goodbye old friend see you in February!

Posted

Well i walked through pontypridd and it was raining and i've just arrived home to ynysysbwl and it's snowing, well what a lovely way for this cold spell to end.

Edited by snowy36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Strong gusty winds, and sleet here. No idea on temps. but it is bitter out there in the wind! sleet @ 45 degrees!!

Any ideas on how this is going for us on the West coast here, as I have given up watching Derek & Co - you lot out there are FAR more reliable.

Many thanks for all your ideasgood.gif

(My daughter is on leave from the Army and driving home as we speak, goes back to Thorney Island on Sunday. What time she leaves us, is down to the weather conditions.)

Posted

Snowing again quite a bit and sticking who'd have believed this in December, 4times in one week. We

post-11218-0-20545400-1359131741_thumb.j

post-11218-0-06588200-1359131790_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Hi Andy,

As it happens, the Met Office were looking for Trainee forecasters anyway so they probably said HR will have you apply etc - as is normal. Here is some of the criteria for these roles as per Met Office website....

Required Standard of Mathematics and Physics for Trainee Forecasters

In order to be able to fully benefit from the intensive training programme provided, Trainee Forecasters will need to have ability in Mathematics and Physics to at least AS Level or equivalent and as a guideline should have some understanding of the following areas: Mathematics: Linear algebra and vector calculus Differential and integral calculus Ordinary and partial differential equations Probability theory and statistics Information and communication technology Numerical methods Physics: Fundamentals of mechanics Basic thermodynamics Wave theory/Fluid Motion/Turbulence Basics of electromagnetic radiation/electromagnetism Competence in these areas will be tested during the technical assessment.

JK

Thanks for posting, that is beyond me then! I did start an Applied Meteorology and Climatology MSc at Brum back in the 1990's but had to drop out, as too thick with the Maths and Physics, I do wish Andy all the best with his application.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Odd that the tempreature is falling ? must be a lot of mixed cold air in this front? Bearing in mind the atlantic is heardly mild atm, if anything it's rather cool, could this keep snow in higher elevations? and bring us into a cooler more zonal period which will allow snow to continue to lay above 300m? Possibility, unlikely but this is not a raging atlantic front that will change temperatures overnight as is evidently shown.

Doubt it 10-12c mid week will melt it all!

Raining here now, goodbye old friend see you in February!

Hopefully this February!