Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Yet again another post having a tantrum over a snow to rain event.

It's going to get mild, whether we all like it or not, so what a better way to go out with one more snow event.

So what if its going to be washed away, that's what happens when a mild spell follows a cold spell.

I would much rather watch a few hours of snowfall followed by rain, than a boring ALL rain event!

I would bank any snow even if it only exists for a short time but am not as excited as I was for last Fridays event for example as I knew that would stick around but I will definitely be curtain twitching overnight tomorrow night yes

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I will be staying up tomorrow night to savour every flake until the last one turns to rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

It was a bit of fun for the few of us online around 2.00am, it did pep up quite nicely for a while, even had some moderate snow for a time with temps falling back to zero, but as soon as it began to fade, up went the temp and sadly started to melt again, just a slight dusting in places left now..

Yeah once the leading edge of the snake started dying I knew it was game over but even John Pike was ramping and he really knows his stuff so we were just unlucky with the snake and the dew points I guess

Posted

I would bank any snow even if it only exists for a short time but am not as excited as I was for last Fridays event for example as I knew that would stick around but I will definitely be curtain twitching overnight tomorrow night yes

Of course it's not going to be anything as good as lasts Fridays.

But that fact it may snow once more before the mild dross surely has to be a bonus!

I welcome any kind of snow in my area, for all I know tomorrow's possible snow could be the last I see all winter.

Be careful what you wish for

Guest bjaykent

I feel some sympathy for the BBC & Metoffice they will be damned if they do forecast snow and damned if they don't. It seems prudent to me to put up warnings at this stage as it does after all cover a working day and a rush hour and we are still currently in the cold air, which always has a habit of holding on longer than predicted. Also we still have another run of models this afternoon/this evening and small adjustments can turn out to be significant. I'm sure at that point they will downgrade the warnings if necessary.

Posted

I'm down the pub tomorrow evening! Hopefully a snowy walk home tomorrow night :-)

More likely you than me :good:

Posted

I will be staying up tomorrow night to savour every flake until the last one turns to rain!

Me too mate! Just because we still have February to get through doesn't mean winter will return.

Tomorrow could be my last pop at snow, so I welcome every flake!

Posted

Just across the way from you?

the only problem with the castle is that some ghosts may hitch a ride!

especially if your a bit to 'jolly!'

ghost.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

little snowballs (graupel) currently falling here

Posted

Well it's Chris Fawkes turn on the BBC

Guess what: he too is going for extensive snow tomorrow!

"Heavy snow and watch out" we're his words

When do members expect the graphics to change to rain?

BBC will have egg on their face

Posted

light snow/snow grains here at Silverhill, near Salehurst East Sussex. Temp +0.7C, down from +1.0C at 09.30. 6cm cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

well I didn't expect to wake up to a light dusting, but that's what I woke up to earlier this morning, we still have a few little patches of snow here and there, the hills are still white, so I'm guessing there's not been much melt up there since my wonder on Monday and Tuesday afternoon.

Can't remember the past time we had snow on the ground here for a whole 7 days.

After the Met Office taking a step back from the cold prospects in Mid Feb, I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a one week Winter ..but even if it does...at least it was a week that delivered ..and delivered more than I expected.

Posted

I will phone up my boss and say Im not coming in as the Government has ordered me to build a snowman sure that will go down well, I wonder if the teachers could use that excuse as well??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well it's Chris Fawkes turn on the BBC

Guess what: he too is going for extensive snow tomorrow!

"Heavy snow and watch out" we're his words

When do members expect the graphics to change to rain?

BBC will have egg on their face

Can't blame the BBC for their forecast, at least everyone is prepared. This will be such a marginal event for the SE given current synoptics, it will be hard for them to change their stance until the morning. We might even see the NAE & NMM go more towards the snow solution.

Just don't throw toys out the pram if it doesn't snow, because its always been a marginal event for us.

Edited by jimbo36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I have next to no hope personally of seeing any snow tomorrow night but good luck for those in the north of the region.

Even if February/March deliver nothing IMBY this will still go down as a just about average winter given the snowfall we've had over the last week.

Posted

Can't blame the BBC for their forecast, at least everyone is prepared. This will be such a marginal event for the SE given current synoptics, it will be hard for them to change their stance until the morning. We might even see the NAE & NMM go more towards the snow solution.

Just don't throw toys out the pram if it doesn't snow, because its always been a marginal event for us.

Absolutely, if it snows before the mild dross then it's a bonus.

If not, cest la vie.

My location without being bias does stand a much better chance than areas south of London I have to say, Meto warning confirms that too.

But as always things can change for good or better!

Guest bjaykent

well I didn't expect to wake up to a light dusting, but that's what I woke up to earlier this morning, we still have a few little patches of snow here and there, the hills are still white, so I'm guessing there's not been much melt up there since my wonder on Monday and Tuesday afternoon.

Can't remember the past time we had snow on the ground here for a whole 7 days.

After the Met Office taking a step back from the cold prospects in Mid Feb, I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a one week Winter ..but even if it does...at least it was a week that delivered ..and delivered more than I expected.

Been a fairly average winter so far but certainly better than the painful memories of some in the 1990s. I guess it is difficult for the BBC to be bullish about cold in their monthly forecast, not really a lot showing in the models at the moment,

OMG I have stuck up twice for the BBC on one page! Before anyone asks I don't work for them. Would imagine most BBC forecasters steer clear of weather forums, wouldn't exactly boost their confidence or ego reading on here. LOL!

Edited by bjaykent

Posted

Peter Cockcroft will put us all right lol

He'll have sun-tan lotion on when he gives us the forecast laster on dirol.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I'm with Paul S. and some of the guys on this one, I think any settling snow only likely north of London and probably only .temporary.

South of the M4 corridor perhaps a short period of wet snow, then v.much rain I'm afraid.

The only caveat being what Steve M.allured to, if that SW struggles to move east, then perhaps a longer period of snow for all but with the Atlantic, pushing through eventually.

Just a quick point on the Feb.2009 Th/Str. (Would highly recommend Paul. S's analysis, top read), how anybody could suggest that was a period of mod. snow, is beyond me!

Snowfall distribution was v.unusual and out of character with normal Thames streamer events. Just from IMBY perspective, you would normally expect Bromley to have the greater depth than Croydon, it was the reverse on this occassion.

Croydon town centre around 8" ( Not Yamkins, my assessment!), Bromley 6/7".

My experience locally is that snowfall normally becomes lighter Bromley westwards.

Finally, just a clip of that event in all its glory. Remember being up and posting with the likes of Steve M. and Paul S., etc.

It definitely was heavy snow at tmes, with some intense cells over our area. At Lee S.E.12 4 cracks of thunder during the early hours!

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Just a further thought.

There seems a bit of despondancy on the main thread over the Model outlook but I'm sure the Models were even worse over Christmas/New Year and we've been in with a shout of snow since 11th Jan. On that basis things "could" quickly turn again and give us a Feb to remember.

A glass half full comment I know.