Cold?
IGNORED

Spring Weather Chat

Barry12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Spring is only 5 weeks away!

Will it be hot, or will it be cold?

Personally I'm hoping March will be cold and snowy, April and May hot and sunny.

Posted

The winter thread was created in September! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well I hope spring is much better than last years dreadful attempt there was just one hot spell at the end of May

Hopefully this spring will see a lot more in the way of sunshine and a reduction in Rainfall on last Spring

A summary of 2012

March

Most of the month was influenced by high pressure and after a dry winter drought was becoming a big concern in the east

The UK mean temperature was 2.3°C above the 1981-2010 average.

A maximum temperature of 23.6°C was recorded at Aboyne (Aberdeenshire) on the 27th.

A minimum temperature of -8.5°C was recorded at Braemar (Aberdeenshire) early on the 18th.

April

There was some snow in northern areas early in the month

With low pressure over or near the UK for most of the month, the weather was generally unsettled with numerous rainy days

The UK mean temperature was 0.6°C below the 1971-2000 average, and it was the coldest April since 1989. Unusually April was colder than March (the last time that occurred was in 1998)

The temperature failed to reach 20°C anywhere this is the first time this happened since April 1989

A maximum temperature of 19.7°C was recorded at Kew Gardens (Greater London) on the 30th.

A minimum temperature of -8.2°C was recorded at Braemar (Aberdeenshire) early on the 5th.

On the 16th the area officially in drought was extended to counties across the West Midlands and South-west England.

May

The first three weeks were dominated by cool and, at times, unsettled conditions continuing the wet theme of much of April.

A big improvement occurred from 21st with a much warmer and more settled spell. Temperatures rose above 27°C at least somewhere in the UK each day from the 23rd to the 28th a new May temperature record for Scotland was set on 25th.

The UK mean temperature was 0.°C above the 1981–2010 average, the very warm spell towards the end of the month offsetting the earlier cool conditions

A maximum temperature of 30.9°C was recorded at Inverailort (Highland) on the 25th, a new May record for Scotland.

A minimum temperature of −6.2 °C was recorded at Saughall (East Ayrshire) early on the 5th

England's hottest temperature was 28.5°C at Hurn (Dorset) on 25th

So hopefully this year we will see a huge improvement in April compared to 2012 both temperature and rain wise with March following on from last year and it would be nice to see some more hot spells in May just like last year but not bringing us an early taste of Summer and then vanishing for most of the official summer

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think that certainly March and April will be dependent on the stratosphere with a slightly cooling MEI and a slight +QBO. As for May whilst i do expect the +QBO to move the warm west Pacific waters east i don't think there will be all that much happening and so will go for the classic NW/SE split.

Headed into summer i think this summer stands the best chance of a warm July/August than for several years.

Posted

Hopefully we get a repeat of April 2011, hot and sunny. Got to 27C here :)

Posted

Hopefully we get a repeat of April 2011, hot and sunny. Got to 27C here smile.png

Spring 2011 as a whole was a cracker

March 2011 saw a high of 20.0°C In Devon

April 2011 saw a high of 27.8°C In Surrey

May 2011 saw a high of 25.4 °C In Norfolk

It was one of the sunniest and driest I can personally remember

Posted

Ideally i think i would go for March 2012, April 2011 and May 2008 all in one.

Posted

Spring 2011 as a whole was a cracker

March 2011 saw a high of 20.0°C In Devon

April 2011 saw a high of 27.8°C In Surrey

May 2011 saw a high of 25.4 °C In Norfolk

It was one of the sunniest and driest I can personally remember

yeah it was, April is my favourite month due to the diversity, sometimes you get snow, other times it feels like summer.

Posted

yeah it was, April is my favourite month due to the diversity, sometimes you get snow, other times it feels like summer.

February can be like that as well it can go go from winter to spring in a matter of days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'd like March 2006, April 2011 and May 2012. Ideally, I'd prefer the temperatures and rainfall of April 2012 with the sunshine of April 2011, but that won't happen.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

By the time we have got through the next 5 weeks I will be happy to see warmth, blue skies and sunshine with light evenings - the only redeeming of feature of winter for me is the exitement of a good fall of powdery snow followed by clear blue skies and sunshine otherwise you can keep the cold damp grey short days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Cold, snowy northerlies and north-easterlies.

Showery, cool north-westerlies and westerlies.

And the odd warm southerly, before May provides us with a heat-fest.

Something spring-like. Big sunshine and variability :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I can't see April being as wet as last year's April!

Easter is at the end of March this year, a possible white Easter? Easter colder than the Christmas period of 2012?

Get the feeling we might see a notable wintry spell during the spring.

Easter very often is colder than Christmas and we very often get 'daffy snow' in the spring - it might be interesting to make a comparison table

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We really could do with a dry Spring to reduce the groundwater levels before the Autumn. An April like last years would just compound the misery. I get the feeling that March in recent years has made us think that Spring like conditions start earlier than they probably should do so i expect a more average March this year with less in the way of warm weather unfortunately.

Once this cold spell is out of the way i am looking forward to monitoring the signs of Spring appearing starting with the snowdrops, if they arent already out. Then the Daffodill shoots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Spring really doesn't start here until about the 3rd week in April and last about 6 weeks..i dislike Spring here as they tend to be cold and wet.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

We almost always have a notable wintry outburst at some point in spring.

Last year was an absolute stinker though with a monster blizzard in the first week which pulled down so many electric wires and poles we had no power for a week.

This neatly co-incided with the start of lambing so a thoroughly depressing and expensive month.

By the last week feed stocks were running low and there was no spring growth plus fields were impossibly wet for cattle to go out.

This situation continued into May and it was the latest turn-out date since 1979.

April 2012 mean 5.7C, rainfall 163mm

April 2011 mean 10.4C rainfall 12.2mm

med_gallery_6987_735_46701.jpg

Edited by 4wd

Posted

I'd like a pleasant spring with a bit of all sorts, and one of those days in mid March where it gets up to about 18 degrees, is sunny and makes you smile. What I don't want to do is use up all the good weather then as I'd like a belting warm summer please!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

We really could do with a dry Spring to reduce the groundwater levels before the Autumn. An April like last years would just compound the misery. I get the feeling that March in recent years has made us think that Spring like conditions start earlier than they probably should do so i expect a more average March this year with less in the way of warm weather unfortunately.

Once this cold spell is out of the way i am looking forward to monitoring the signs of Spring appearing starting with the snowdrops, if they arent already out. Then the Daffodill shoots.

Daffodill shoots already up here, somewhere under 30cm of snow and ice....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ah I was just dreaming about spring myself... does feel like the gloom has been here forever now. It's about now the annoying chores that winter brings start to grate and you begin to look forward to better times.

Well last years spring was very mixed with some lovely albeit short spells (late March and late May) with some vile spells (all of April- except the snow & rest of May).

Personally I'm hoping we can have a cold start - with cold coming from northerlies (i.e. sunny - not dull easterlies) with hefty wintry showers at times. Then lets have a warm end again with lots of sunshine which then kicks off the great summer of 2013...

The main thing this April-August I need is dry & sunshine which have been very lacking in recent years. Trying to grow things last year was terrible with a vast slug population and the constant dullness.

Posted

WSI have issued the first look at spring this week

March and April - temperatures above normal except Ireland in April

Posted

The jamstec model has now updated for January for the period of March 1st to May 31st (spring) and it has precipitation below normal for the period and temperatures above normal

Rainfall

tprep.glob.MAM2013.1jan2013.gif

Temperature

temp2.glob.MAM2013.1jan2013.gif

An early look into Summer and we continue to above average temperatures and below average rainfall..........

Rainfall

tprep.glob.JJA2013.1jan2013.gif

Temperature

temp2.glob.JJA2013.1jan2013.gif

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I always view it as a milestone when a southerly starts to bring up warmth from the south rather than cold. As 2008 showed that can happen as early as mid February. But by March even a southeasterly can bring spells of warm sunshine, providing that the high pressure originates from the Azores and so brings with it a warm airmass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The jamstec model has now updated for January for the period of March to May and it has precipitation below normal for the period and temperatures above normal

tprep.glob.MAM2013.1jan2013.gif

temp2.glob.MAM2013.1jan2013.gif

Looks like another cold wet spring here...think i might have to emigrate.