Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January 2013 Cold Spell - How's it been for you ?

ScottSnow

Posted

8/10 for here-

Snowfall: 18-30cm, one substitutional fall with blizzard like conditions, other falls were light to moderate in intensity and depth.

Temperatures: Night time temperatures very disappointing usually -2/-3. However maximum temperatures have made up for that. Nine consecutive ice days with a further three likely, two weeks of well below average temperatures in total with a couple more till the cold spell is done.

Sunshine: Large amounts of cloud and a complete lack of sunshine has made the weather rather gloomy despite the snow cover.

With the models projecting one last hurrah on Friday it's safe to say that at least for here it's been a great cold spell.

Posted

The notable thing has been lack of sunshine here for the two week duration of this cold spell. The persistent cloud has prevented the temps from plummeting overnight though, staying around the freezing mark but not much below, The snow has been far less impressive than dec2010 here, a much tamer spell than dec2010 all round, Looking forward to the Atlantic type weather now,

Posted

Not very cold considering the upper air temperature and any snow we have had has melted soon after it fell.I think there was about 1 inch here if you tot up all the snow fall over a week.All in all pretty rubbish,3/10.

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Very poor here although in saying that Ireland was always on the edge of the cold. Scandi blocks often dont bring the cold air westwards enough to properly affect Ireland and for that reason from an IMBY perspective im not a huge fan of them. I had 2 slight dustings of wet snow and only one frost. The precip was often a wintry mix it was just too marginal for my location. Everyday its just been cloudy and miserable ,the cloud did break on monday night and gave a harsh frost but the cloud rolled in again yesterday. The cold spell in Ireland was more of a high ground event but there where some good falls of snow in the northeast and southwest of the country. Overall for my location i would give the spell 1/10. If there is one thing i like about colder weather it is that it usually brings bright weather however not so this time and hence the lack of frosts. I really hope this spell is not my winter.

Posted

A decent but not outstanding cold spell, I'd say 7/10. We had minimal snow until last Friday morning, which brought us a respectable 11cm, the most we've seen since the truly exceptional fall of January 2010 (23cm), and the snow has remained at more than 75% coverage (albeit thawing slowly most days) until today. What we haven't had compared with, say, last February is exceptional cold - the sky has remained overcast almost throughout the past two weeks and only cleared for a time overnight on Monday to give us an overall minimum for the period of -4.3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

13cm of snowfall on Friday, along with frequent falling snow since, although little after Friday settled.

Can't complain at that though. Not many times within the last 20 years has there been 13cm+ if snowfall in Bristol.

Posted

A litte too early to reserve judgement, since we are still very firmly lodged in this cold spell. I'll give my views on Saturday - I think this Friday will easily produce our heaviest snowfall of this cold spell, depending on what happens on Friday, I will probably be rating it around the 3-4 out of 10 mark, SE Cumbria has been very poorly positioned for snowfall and we've barely seen temps dropping below 0 degrees, with no visible frost or ice for the best part of a week - its been far too cloudy.

Posted

Well, here in N Oxfordshire, it's been the most persistently snowy if not necessarily the coldest spell since I moved S of the border in '96. we currently have about 15cm of level snow, which as said elsewhere would have been deeper if the ground beneath wasn't so darned wet . Temperatures for 8 days haven't exceeded 0.7 C, with subzero' s every night, and with snow falling on 4 days . we were lucky to be hot from the west on Sunday and from the East on Tuesday's event. I' d offer a good 7.5 out of 10, which would only have been bettered if it had cleared at night to sustain some harder frosts.

Posted

As with any weather, this spell has been fascinating and full of interest. Here in lowland East London, the current near-fortnight of cold temperatures has followed a month-long period of mild and initially very wet conditions.

In terms of low temperatures, it's been unremarkable though we had a very cold night Monday-Tuesday and suspect we have another cold night or two to come in the last spasm of the cold spell as is often the case. As others have commented, it's been a very cloudy spell with little or no sunshine an therefore no fog though plenty of low cloud.

In terms of snow, this spell has brought three separate falls - an initial dusting on the night Of January 13/14 followed by a more significant fall on Friday 18th which left about an inch and which shifted to a considerable extent on Saturday 19th and a substantial fall on Sunday 20th which topped out at five and a half inches of level snow. This exceeds (and this will surprise some) the fall of December 18th 2010 though that fall was more remarkable in other ways and is surpassed only by the six and a quarter inches recorded on February 1st 2009, a possibly highly-marginal fall but which accumulated wet snow.

Sunday's snow has, like the fall of February 2009, not endured and it's a fact of life in the urban heat island that getting snow to endure requires a set of highly-unusual synoptics such as we had in December 2010 when the pool of very vold air displaced from the polar vortex sat over us after the snowfall and meant that on Sunday December 19th 2010, we had an ice day and maintained our snowcover almost intact.

This time, a cold and dry E'ly wind has evaporated most of the lying snow and with the return of milder air, this may conceivably be the last snow of the winter though, as recent years have shown, snow can fall and settle as late as the end of March.

Overall, a solid 6 out of 10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Mostly had heavy rain this year so far. Seen snowfall this morning giving a slight dusting, all gone within an hour. 1/10 for snow (Probably being generous). Though last winter was even worse, didn't even see a flake.

Still keeping positive and hoping for another cold spell which is in my favour.

Edited by George

Posted

so far 5 days of snow falling, 4th day of snow lying with a max depth of 11cm, now down to 6cm, slight drifting of snow in places, so for here 6/10 for snow

lowest temp has been -2c with it regularly being 1c by day -1c by night, so very poor here for cold, where -7c/-8c is easily achieved in valley bottoms in the blink of an eye. At least its been cold enough to maintain snow cover so i guess 3/10 for cold

4.5/10 overall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

The January cold spell here was pretty tame. Snowed all day Friday with a couple of inches of lying snow. All gone by Saturday morning. Ano9ther couple of inches Saturday evening but gone by Sunday. A further skiff on Monday/Tusday,. but nothing at all lying. No lying snow at all here now and light rain showers today. Not even any frost over the last few days.

It's been quite strange because there have been some really heavy falls only a few miles away and I drove through some quie horrendous conditions on Sunday.

Much of Belfast has been also snow free.

This is very similar to February 2009 when the same thing happaned.

So, in a word, nothing special.

Still, at least we saw snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
Still keeping positive and hoping for another cold spell which is in my favour.

I'm afraid you're going to be out of luck.

The predicted cold spell mid February has now been dowengraded and no mention of it at all on any of the further outlook models.

I think winter is all but over if the current models are to be believed.

That was the SSW that was.

Roll on 2013/14.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Posted this in my regional yesterday:

Sleet or snow falling: 10 out the past 11 days

Snow lying (at least 50% of the surrounding ground surface covered at 0900, excluding shaded areas): past 6 days

Greatest snow depth: 9cm: 18th

Warmest day 16th - 23rd January: 3.2c 21st

Coldest day 16th - 23rd January: +0.6c 18th

Coldest night: -2.2c 20th

Ice days (maxima below 0c): 0

Summary: A fine cold spell, even though not especially cold, no hard frosts, little visible frost, very overcast, plenty of falling snow which has only slowly thawed.

Only change being today is sunny!

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Well the cold spell is going out with a bang here. Currently snowing heavily here and earlier in Newton Aycliffe the 1st band left around an inch of snow. The snow is blowing around making for some interesting driving conditions out there.

Is anybody revising there cold spell rating after tonight/todays snow ? For me personally I don't usually enjoy snowfalls preceding milder conditions but it seems like that this cold spell is going out with a bang. I expected the Atlantic to steamroller through but it seems like the cold is putting up a fight.

Since Jan 12th

Days with falling snow - 13

Days with lying snow - 12

Deepest snow - 21cm ( Jan 21st )

I would still rate this cold spell at 7.5/10, would of been higher if we had have seen some colder temps especially overnight and the spells of rain/sleet with pretty constant cloudcover have been disappointing. This could have been a pretty epic spell for snow if the temps had been a little lower.

Posted

It's not been particularly noteworthy here, maximum snow depth of only about 2 inches (if that) and temperatures nothing to shout about. The odd light snow flurry now and then throughout the last week or so.

I see the amount of snow a lot of other places have got during this spell but there was nothing like that here, might as well be a different country. Just seems like the type of cold spell you get in any typical winter to me, only longer lasting.

3/10, can't hold a candle to Jan 2010.

Posted

It's not been particularly noteworthy here, maximum snow depth of only about 2 inches (if that) and temperatures nothing to shout about. The odd light snow flurry now and then throughout the last week or so.

I see the amount of snow a lot of other places have got during this spell but there was nothing like that here, might as well be a different country. Just seems like the type of cold spell you get in any typical winter to me, only longer lasting.

3/10, can't hold a candle to Jan 2010.

Interesting. Although Jan 2010 was a lot colder here this spell has been as snowy. I certainly think many people would of rated this cold spell higher if we hadn't been 'spoilt' by the winter of 09/10 and the weather of Nov/Dec 2010. Where I was living in Co. Durham the snow lasted from mid Dec 09 to mid Jan 10 and in many parts of Scotland the snow lasted from the middle of December 2009 until early March 2010.

Posted

I'll make a full judgement once it's fully over (i.e. in about 18 hours) but has anyone acknowledged just how much the cold spell has been lengthened? I recall that the first hints of it suggested a few days of cold and before the cold had even arrived, we were looking at when it would warm up again. Not only did the cold's arrival date get moved forward, but its end was also delayed.

Posted

I'll make a full judgement once it's fully over (i.e. in about 18 hours) but has anyone acknowledged just how much the cold spell has been lengthened? I recall that the first hints of it suggested a few days of cold and before the cold had even arrived, we were looking at when it would warm up again. Not only did the cold's arrival date get moved forward, but its end was also delayed.

Yes the breakdown has been constantly pushed back. Even todays snowy breakdown wasn't really anticipated and tomorrow hardly looks mild especially in eastern areas.

Posted

Yes ,i have noticed this...Peirs Corbyn has a fair bit to say on the matter. Edited by greybing

Posted

Snow white, January 2010 was far snowier, or rather had much higher lying depths, was far sunnier and temperatures were far lower. It was the best winter weather in a long time here in Stockport and nothing since has beat it, and that includes Dec 2010.

I work outside, 3 years ago I was pushing through a foot of snow in midday temperatures of about -14C whereas 3 days ago I was struggling to stay upright on a cm of slushy snow and ice in temperatures of about 2C. No comparison.

Posted

Snow white, January 2010 was far snowier, or rather had much higher lying depths, was far sunnier and temperatures were far lower. It was the best winter weather in a long time here in Stockport and nothing since has beat it, and that includes Dec 2010.

I work outside, 3 years ago I was pushing through a foot of snow in midday temperatures of about -14C whereas 3 days ago I was struggling to stay upright on a cm of slushy snow and ice in temperatures of about 2C. No comparison.

Yes in your location it may have been far snowier in Jan 2010 but you live where ? Stockport ! Although it hasn't been that cold here it has certainly been snowy here in the north east.

In the north east there was also more sunshine and colder temps in Jan 2010, however Nov/Dec 2010 was both colder and snowier in this part of the world.

Like I say it depends on your location how you rate a spell of cold weather. For example parts of this region like Stanley and Consett have been even snowier than my location in this current spell.

Parts of this region wouldn't even class it as just the 'Jan 2010' March Blizzard as there was snowcover from Dec 16th until Jan 15th so it would be classed as the Dec 09/Jan 10 cold spell. As I have previously stated parts of Scotland had snowcover from mid December 09 until early March 10.

Edited by Snow White

Posted

Yes in your location it may have been far snowier in Jan 2010 but you live where ? Stockport ! Although it hasn't been that cold here it has certainly been snowy here in the north east.

In the north east there was also more sunshine and colder temps in Jan 2010, however Nov/Dec 2010 was both colder and snowier in this part of the world.

Like I say it depends on your location how you rate a spell of cold weather. For example parts of this region like Stanley and Consett have been even snowier than my location in this current spell.

Parts of this region wouldn't even class it as just the 'Jan 2010' March Blizzard as there was snowcover from Dec 16th until Jan 15th so it would be classed as the Dec 09/Jan 10 cold spell. As I have previously stated parts of Scotland had snowcover from mid December 09 until early March 10.

Fair enough, January 2010 (or Dec09/Jan10) was pretty much the best i can hope for my area so anything else and it just feels like chasing the dragon, so to speak. Nov/Dec 2010 was probably consistently colder here than Dec09/Jan10 but both extreme minima and maxima didn't get as low and snow depths were also lower. My main memory of Jan 2010 was wading through deep snow, my main memory of Dec 2010 was slipping on ice. Regardless both periods were far better than this cold spell in my neck of the woods. Feb 2012 was pretty much a non event here.

I've no doubt that this spell has been great for a lot of people, but not here. I saw the snow on BBC news in the North East and i was amazed, some parts have really taken a pasting. Like you say, it depends where you live.

Posted

I certainly think many people would of rated this cold spell higher if we hadn't been 'spoilt' by the winter of 09/10 and the weather of Nov/Dec 2010.

Agreed - I've thoroughly enjoyed the cold spell and think if it had occurred in 2008 or earlier it would have been rated very highly indeed. Having said that, although I have done well here, it has been fairly marginal in locations close by, especially those near to the coast.

We had some decent snowfall last Friday, the first snow since December '10 here, and some brief flurries on Tuesday, but for me the unexpected persistent snow which fell nearly all day on Wednesday was the best part. We've now had a week of lying snow, and depths of nearly 5 inches in total, although as others have mentioned the temperatures haven't been that remarkable.

For my location I'd rate this spell the third best since 1996, behind Dec '09 - Jan '10 (2nd) and Nov - Dec '10 (1st). On both of those occasions we ended up with 6 inches of snow or more, and in Dec '10 overnight temperatures fell below -13C which is very unusual for this area. For snow, the current spell may actually have matched or surpassed what we experienced here in 1995-6 and 1991, but I wasn't so interested in the weather then so can't be too certain. It's certainly been better than any cold snap between 1997 and 2008, almost all of which were one or two day events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

From a snow perspective it's been pretty good, given that we've had lying snow for 9 consecutive days which is nothing to be sniffed at for a low lying area. What has been a let down has been the almost total lack of frosty nights. Too many cloudy nights with the odd snow flurry which resulted in the temperature being kept at just below freezing.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham