Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snowing a little more now, but not effective in lousy town centre, too wet and only 80m asl

mr benn, if you dont want it matey, I'll have it!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We had really heavy snow for a while here earlier, settled everywhere very quickly. All gone again now though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had a light dusting this morning, slight thaw & were back to where we were 24 hours ago, would like some cold now before the rain sets in next week........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

We've had snow on and off all morning, currently -0.6oC, no sign of any thaw.

Posted

Plenty of snow - difficult getting around TBH but I had more in 2010 and lower temps but what is remarkable is that temps haven't been above freezing since 16th Jan.

Posted

It's not snowing as much as it has all last week, yet there's bigger flakes blowing around today.

This demonstrates that conditions have become slightly more marginal in the West. Larger snowflakes are the sign of higher dewpoints and temperates as flakes partially melt and merge together as one. In true cold, snowflake size will remain small throughout.

Posted
So whats peoples overall depths today considering this is really the last lot albeit a little Friday maybe?

Have most finished near 20cm, some near 30cm Has intermittent thaws and regular snow kept the snow level at a similar figure?

It's really difficult to say, because of the internittent thaws you mentioned.

I would estimate that here in Knowle we have had, since last Thursday afternoon, around ten inches of snowfall, but never with more than about six or seven inches on the ground at any one time.

It'll be interesting to hear what my nearest NW neighbours - Diagonal Red Line and Fizz - think about my estimate. I might be guilty of measuring via man-inches!!!

smile.png

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

And we have light snow again, temperature is already beginning to fall, after reaching the dizzying heights of -0.5oC, it's down to -0.7oC. The tree branches are completely smothered with snow, the slightest waft of breeze causes flakes to come adrift.

Edit: As for overall depth, around 27 cms, had barely any thaw at all, so this last lot has piled straight on top of the lot on the ground.

Edited by Barbmac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

And we have light snow again, temperature is already beginning to fall, after reaching the dizzying heights of -0.5oC, it's down to -0.7oC. The tree branches are completely smothered with snow, the slightest waft of breeze causes flakes to come adrift.

Edit: As for overall depth, around 27 cms, had barely any thaw at all, so this last lot has piled straight on top of the lot on the ground.

your elevation decent mine's crap, not had any ice days yet, unless my 0.0C max on 18th counts

Posted

It has been snowing on and off for most of the day, fairly steady in the last hour, but nothing really to account for it on the radar return! Trees and bushes still holding snow perfectly; a very slow thaw at +0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

It's really difficult to say, because of the internittent thaws you mentioned.

I would estimate that here in Knowle we have had, since last Thursday afternoon, around ten inches of snowfall, but never with more than about six or seven inches on the ground at any one time.

It'll be interesting to hear what my nearest NW neighbours - Diagonal Red Line and Fizz - think about my estimate. I might be guilty of measuring via man-inches!!!

smile.png

Bish

Lol - no think you may be underestimating if anything.....! :D

Still 9" of snow on the back lawn, despite any thaw.

Huge big flakes fluttering down at the moment - anyone have a clue how long these flurries might gone on for today?

Edited by fizz511

Posted
Lol - no think you may be underestimating if anything.....! biggrin.png

Still 9" of snow on the back lawn, despite any thaw.

Huge big flakes fluttering down at the moment - anyone have a clue how long these flurries might gone on for today?

lol my brother just told me I've completely underestimated the depth as well....

The PPN to our south east seems to be pepping up slightly, so there might be some more on the way :)

Bish

Posted

Radar seems to be showing the snow heading our way intensifying a bit, will have to wait for the next radar update to see if it's a blip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What do we think of potential for leading edge snow Friday now? That looks the next and last period of interest.

Posted

Jesus look at that ppn in the SW is it falling as snow?

It sure is, especially for us Welsh denizens. About 4 inches here today (started about 8:30 am). biggrin.png

Edited by Buzz

Posted

Hasn't snowed for an hour .. Just started snowing moderately again ! It doesn't want to leave region :)

Posted

What do we think of potential for leading edge snow Friday now? That looks the next and last period of interest.

After looking at the recently updated ukmo 12z it looks likely that the band if snow on friday into saturday could stay as snow!!so its looking increasingly likely that we might get something more memorable again!!temperatures are only predicted to get up to 1 degrees on saturday at the moment!!could change of course!!