Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

Looks like another frustrating night in Durham as the streamer heads for Newc! It does seem to me that in recent years at least, Newc has done a LOT better than Durham from these sorts of streamers.. is there something in the topography that means they go there rather than here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

How much cover are you losing?

Moderate fine snow here.

Not been out and checked yet...but the drippin from the roof is a steady flow the trees are no longer weighed down and the 15+" on the fence tops has gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Light snow here, covering the roofs again with a thin coating after the thaw.

Posted

Well this is unexpected, everything is white again. Just been up the A1 from Team Valley to Washington Services and all lanes were white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snowing here but its pretty wet.

Posted

Not been out and checked yet...but the drippin from the roof is a steady flow the trees are no longer weighed down and the 15+" on the fence tops has gone.

Not looking too good then, although that depends on whether you class deep snow as good or no snow as good.

Posted

Just Got a feeling the second half of feb is going to be cold possibly very cold, but to get the next cold spell We will have to endure à couple of mild wet windy weeks nothing too mild though, a pity because late jan early feb us normally the coldest wintriest period of the winter, the period i call high winter.

Posted

Never really been looking outside but it seems I missed most of the showers as there is only a very thin covering on the roofs, hardly worth menturning really. Bit of a surprise how much shower activity there is but yet again, its just cloudy instead of clear skies and showers, something which has disappoint me during this cold shot.

Posted

So much for GFS's forecast temps of -7 to -13°C....-0.1°C here, which is the overnight low!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Still dripping/thawing very slightly here, so it can't be much below 0 if at all. About 1-2cm fell overnight making it feel rather wintry again. Friday is looking pretty interesting for some heavy snow, but I must admit I'm looking forward to a milder spell next week!

Posted

Still dripping/thawing very slightly here, so it can't be much below 0 if at all. About 1-2cm fell overnight making it feel rather wintry again. Friday is looking pretty interesting for some heavy snow, but I must admit I'm looking forward to a milder spell next week!

Same here 1-2cm at least makes the covering look a bit fresher, I'll be sad to see it to completely but am looking forward too to a bit milder weather for now at least

Posted

The Disappointing thing about this cold spell is the temps. -9.6 the low here but this week has been nothing out of the ordinary really with -2.3 the low. Compare to dec 2010 when it got to -21.8 here.

Posted

The Disappointing thing about this cold spell is the temps. -9.6 the low here but this week has been nothing out of the ordinary really with -2.3 the low. Compare to dec 2010 when it got to -21.8 here.

Agreed.

The problem has been the persistent cloud.

Posted

I know its hard to forecast a long way out but dose anyone want to have a go at telling me what the weather might be like around the 12th to the 17th me Feb my little girl is away at Preston with the school .its going to be all out door activates .

Edited by jennyifer

Posted

I'm not really complaining cause snowfall totals have been amazing really just would of liked afew more -double figure nights.

Posted

Same here. The snow isn't that bad here, but I get out and about quite a lot and there's tonnes of snow in some places, which means tonnes of opportunities to get stuck and held up. A thaw would now be welcomed. Let's go out with a bang on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I know its hard to forecast a long way out but dose anyone want to have a go at telling me what the weather might be like around the 12th to the 17th me Feb my little girl is away at Preston with the school .its going to be all out door activates .

Unfortunately that is impossible to forecast there are forecasts which go to 25 days out but they are very unreliable - http://www.accuweath...?monyr=2/1/2013

Back to the shorter term and the cold spell is going to go out with a bang

13012600_2400.gif

Saturday is then going to be a cold, dry and cloudy day with limited brightness its during the early hours of Sunday when heavy rain arrives which was washes away any remaining snow and the risk of flooding increases. Sunday its self during day light hours is likely to be a dry and bright with sunny spells with fairly light winds

1.6°C and rising as the thaw continues theirs not much snow left around my area now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

In far a pasting tomorrow I think good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

john hammond has said he expects the warning in place for friday for the north east to be upgraded later on today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Tomorrow looks pretty interesting although I have a feeling that low ground may end up with a lot of wet snow that struggles to lie, like I had on Sunday night and into Monday. For the higher ground another dumping looks probable, especially around the Pennines- to the east of the Pennines the intensity of the front may drop.

I was hoping that the SW'lys next week would bring a mix of weather, with rain belts interspersed with sunshine and blustery showers and some strong winds, but the current GFS outputs are pointing towards mainly dull wet weather with a comparable shortage of sunshine to what we've had over the past week.

Posted

Latest from the met office for the snow

Further snowfall is likely to spread from the west, as another weather front moves across the UK from the Atlantic. Snow will reach parts of Scotland during Friday morning, and eastern parts of England during the late evening, likely to clear these eastern areas by the early hours of Saturday. 2-5 cm is likely in the south of the yellow warning area, with 5 cm or more further north. Strong winds will also lead to drifting, particularly over higher level roads in the north.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=NE&tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1359028860&zoom=7&lon=-1.44&lat=54.63

Posted

Not too cold here today

Air temp is 3.3°C and rising

The dew point is 0.5°C and also rising

Some of the pavements are clear now round my area

The only thing missing now is the sun

Edited by Gavin.