Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I could not drop my daughter at breakfast club this morning as their door was frozen!

Posted

Mill Lane... Closer too me than I expected Andy, my old school and college was on that street also, never even noticed there was a cam there, may have a closer look when I'm next down there!

Victoria Road actually haha, Didn't know you went to Josies, I was there from 2004-2011 smile.png Yeah i was trying to work out where the camera is lmao, don't know if its on top of a signpost or something.

It's looking a bit melty out there today.

Edited by Andy.

Posted

44 cms of snow here now and no prospect of getting anywhere before the weekend thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Dry and cloudy here with the thaw continuing overnight was cloudy so it prevented an ice over the overnight low was 1.4°C

Its currently between 2.0°C & 3.0°C (both the towns stations have different temperatures

The cold weather alert have been updated for what I expect will be the final time of this cold spell

There is a 100% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/snow between 0800 on Wednesday and 1800 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

This is an extension to the Level 3 Alert issued on Sunday 20th January. Generally milder conditions are expected to spread east across England later on Friday 25th January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I am happy that this winter has been far better than last from a cold persepctive. I know I moaned the other night but all in all a nice little cold spell which seen snow falling on a fair number of days IMBY and across the region..

Posted

Finally rescued from snowy prison thanks to local farmer with a snow plough. Off to shops and to take pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Heavy snow showers for a time this morning, but a thaw has set in once more this afternoon. This winter (so far) won't be remembered by me as being as severe as either 09/10 or 10/11, but has certainly been one of the snowier ones in the last 20 years, and a far cry from last year!

Of course that might change if we get a severe spell in February...

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Heavy snow showers for a time this morning, but a thaw has set in once more this afternoon. This winter (so far) won't be remembered by me as being as severe as either 09/10 or 10/11, but has certainly been one of the snowier ones in the last 20 years, and a far cry from last year!

Of course that might change if we get a severe spell in February...

Up to now , I agree- but Feb will be v interesting looking at my composites

Posted

Looking at the models for next week I think the attack from the west won't last too long by mid to late next week I think high pressure will edge up into southern Britain thus send the low pressure systems north affecting northern Scotland worst.

As we enter the final week of January we will see the Atlantic sending low pressure systems over bringing some heavy rain and with snow melt also occurring river flooding seems likely those areas with the highest falls of snow may also see some temporary surface flooding.

Next week is likely to feel cold at times especially when exposed to the rain and or wind but as we move into February things should settle down with brighter weather making it feel more pleasant

For the first 2 weeks of February I expect temperatures to average between 6c and 10c by day with frosts at night when the skies are at there clearest

As we enter the final week of January we will see the Atlantic sending low pressure systems over bringing some heavy rain and with snow melt also occurring river flooding seems likely those areas with the highest falls of snow may also see some temporary surface flooding

The route back to cold weather could be a hard one I don't want to write off the remaining 5 weeks of winter but don't be surprised if this is our longest cold spell for winter

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Hey what do you know there's a webcam at the top of my street ;o, useful if you want to confirm any of my wildly inaccurate weather reports lmfao

https://online.gates...e=2604_cam1.jpg

is that the college?

EDIT - Just read through the thread and saw what you and geordie snow said....my hubby and all his siblings went to josies. I was a proper Jarra lass and went to springa.......;D

Edited by lizmartin1981

Posted

Finally rescued from snowy prison thanks to local farmer with a snow plough. Off to shops and to take pics.

onions me, how's the cabin fever going then? Most importantly you got enough beer to last until Friday.

Posted

Heavy snow is likely at some point on Friday 5 to 10cm possible on lower ground with upto 15cm possible on higher ground drifting is also likely

Then during the weekend we then see wind, rain and milder temperatures sweeping in

Saturday high of around 2c and mostly sunny (the last real cold day)

Sunday high of around 4c with rain and stronger winds

Monday highs of around 6c with rain possible and gusty winds

Tuesday highs of around 9c with rain possible and gusty winds

Posted

Light snow here.biggrin.png

Temperatures seem a little lower across the region tonight so maybe a further dusting

of snow to come from light showers coming in off the sea.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Moderate snofall on and off here since 630

Edited by tynevalleysnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The thawing seems to have stooped now thanks to some cold temperatures finally! Friday is looking interesting for one more round of heavy snow before the milder air moves in for a while.

Posted

View from home today and a reference to the snow depth showing my 25cm high boot

post-9655-0-44080300-1358970445_thumb.jp

post-9655-0-15864500-1358970558_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snowing heavily again on the coast and all surfaces are white..Sleet by day snow by night..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Heavy snow on Friday? Really?

Where is this coming from? If it's from the South East again doesn't that rule out Teesside?

Posted

Where is this coming from? If it's from the South East again doesn't that rule out Teesside?

It's from the front coming in from the West.

Posted

West to East its moving in from so Teesside shouldn't miss out this time though you would need to make the most of any snow it will all be washed by Sunday once milder wetter weather moves in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Not the south west like last weekend, as it never reached us. Is this supposed to be the front that brings the milder air with it or the last hurrah before the milder air

Posted

Not the south west like last weekend, as it never reached us. Is this supposed to be the front that brings the milder air with it or the last hurrah before the milder air

The milder air will follow the front the snow may turn to rain on its back edge