Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted

Thanks for that, at least it's not clearly the best snow event, but I would still love to have been up there to enjoy it!

Coming up on Friday afternoon so I'm hoping there will be plenty left and I'm also hoping to drive up to Waskerley so should see a lot up there at least.

Thanks for the compliment about the photos, I'm not doing much photography at the moment, but can't wait for summer again. There isn't much to take photos of around here, it's a pretty boring place and I miss the north east! Going to Iceland next month though so should get some good pics there, hopefully of the northern lights.

PP was a character, maybe he will pop up again some day.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of snow around the Stanley/Consett area.biggrin.png

Met office already have a yellow warning out for snow on Friday as well.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

mmmmmm the breakdown has been delayed on the ecm by another 24 hrs, are the models underestimating the cold block, we have had a few lows from the atlantic try and it hasnt happened and on thurs we have -8 uppers some very cold air above so why do we expect this low on friday just to fly through and easily push the cold air aside, im still learning so i might be talking absolute rubbish, apologies if i am

Posted

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of snow around the Stanley/Consett area.biggrin.png

Met office already have a yellow warning out for snow on Friday as well.

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Yep another 30 odd cm for Consett on Friday then lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the Durham ensemble we can see from that there will be a warm up next week as we know with temperatures likely to peak around the 30th after that they gradually start to drop again as we move into February with around average values likely by day the average for the NE is 6.6c by day

t2mDurham.png

Precipitation values are likely to ease off into February as well this ties in with the met offices longer range text forecast.

The periods of the 26th to 28th and 30th to 31st are likely to see the highest values of rain as we move into February the rainfall amounts are likely to drop at this stage a fairly dry start to February seems likely after an unsettled end to January

prcpDurham.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Do you know how much they ended up with. Cheers.

..I ended up with 39cms in my back garden. Im in consett.

Posted

Quiet tonight ...

Makes a change,lol!

A little bit of activity on the radar but i think frost and ice will be the main hazard

as we head through the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Don't see where the minus 4s and minus 5s are coming from tonight, very misty out there with temps hovering just above freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

More chance of a fly pig morphing into a unicorn in my cereal than that happening in February. As good as it would be.

You don't remember Feb 1991? The easterly was from such a cold feed that even the coast got powder snow and drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Despite this and Dec 2010 cold spells, I'm still waiting for that synotopic set up which delivers uppers of -15 or below across the UK, we still have not experienced that and who knows this may happen in February.

I agree with that. Its been a long time since we had sustained -10 uppers never mind -15. Even in the 2010 spell I was surprised at times that the snow was not restricted to more inland areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well I can't see us going too far below zero tonight its cloudy out there at the moment 1.6°C

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

In reply to some earlier comments ...

I've been really happy with this cold spell although as some have already mentioned, the lack of low minima has been both strange and slightly disappointing. Here in newcastle we've had a lot of snow and snow showers and have maintained a very respectable cover for well over a week now. Harking back to the winters in the 90's, this would have been unthought of back then, almost two weeks of wintry activity.

In a way I'm not disappointed it's ending at the weekend, roll on a bit of milder weather before hopefully a reload mid-feb to see winter go out with a bang?

Edited by JP1972

Posted

You don't remember Feb 1991? The easterly was from such a cold feed that even the coast got powder snow and drifting.

Sorry, I don't. I wasn't born til 5 years later. Though it's good to know it isn't totally impossible.

Posted

I measured 18cm in the middle of the lawn, but its more like 15cm on the grass generally, and less on pavements obviously.

No need for me to go outside I can tell how much snow we have - nothing! We had a cm cover last night which quickly dissapeared this morning. It really has been a very poor show snow wise for much of Cumbria - all this footage on the television saying the whole country is affected by deep blanket of snow, they should show pictures of Cumbria or the western half of Scotland to give a proper picture of the situation, I think the media just presumes these parts of heavy snow as well.

So overall for Cumbria in terms of snowfall this cold spell of weather will rank as very low, I've seen more snow from a northerly in May!

Posted

Just been looking through some charts,

you'll have to forgive me but still learning.

Is this the front that could lead to further snow fall for some on Friday,

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2013/01/22/basis12/ukuk/prty/13012518_2212.gif

checking against DP and upper temps if the front manages to get any where near me its more likely to be rain

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2013/01/22/basis12/ukuk/taup/13012600_2212.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2013/01/22/basis18/ukuk/t850/13012518_2218.gif

Or am I totally wrong.

Posted

I've just had a drive up to Consett and I can confirm they have lots of snow, intact I've never actually witnessed so much snow in my life!

582363_10151373922192472_607894880_n.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Tonight, temperatures should be stable, with an air frost away from the coast, before rising as low cloud moves in tomorrow morning.

I'm looking at a very cloudy day tomorrow with a ESE/SE breeze dominating- low and medium cloud dominating with temperatures reaching 2-3c on the coast, and 0-1c further inland on top of snowcover.

Tomorrow night, low cloud begins to disappear as the surface wind direction turns to a light W/SW'ly. Temperatures will fall below freezing for all on Thursday morning, with temperatures of -8c and below possible further inland, in valleys on top of deep snowcover (Consett fcast low temp, -7c).

Thursday, very cold and clear with some superb landscapes to be seen. Highs of 1-2c on the coast, and an ice day for most of the region, with temps struggling past -3c/-4c inland. It has the potential to be a stunner. Complete sunshine, sharp, long-lasting frost on top of snowcover (deep in parts).

Thursday night then looks extremely cold, -7c/-8c by 2200 Thursday on the HR EC- which leads you to believe that we could see -10s and even -12s on Friday morning when the HR EC incorporate it into its 48hr fcast.

In summary, a low cloud, dull and cold day tomorrow, with temperatures just above freezing, and some wintry drizzle at times on the coast.

Thursday on the other hand looks calm, cold and very sunny. The coldest day of the winter looks likely, after a very sharp frost.

Posted

up and down last 5 days for me, imby -

friday night was great with heavy falls over 6"

saturday/sunday - bit disappointed with the lack of convective snow

sunday night - interesting will it won't it, it did for a while

monday - mainly heavy very wet snow, not adding to what i,ve got, feeling so jealous of those in consett etc-

also so sorry for those who lived down the coast with rain, sleet slush

monday night - unexpectectly turned colder with my 5 to 6" of what was left lying covered by another 1" or so

of fresh snow.

tuesday - at work seen snow falling lightly for a few hours then a short but very heavy spell of snow,

all in all I think I,ve had a very interesting up and down weekend of weather, with a few nights of cold to come, a possiblity of some more snow on friday before the atlantic attack suceeds over the weekend.

but whats this, some of the models are starting to falter a bit with the breakdown according to the main site?

wow, is this not why we love the weather in this country so much, coz we never know what we might get.

Gary

Edited by gazzac69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

My fiance measured 21" in his garden. Pretty epic!

...Ooooo...errr.

Posted

I've just had a drive up to Consett and I can confirm they have lots of snow, intact I've never actually witnessed so much snow in my life!

582363_10151373922192472_607894880_n.jpg

Pop into the new Morrison's sometime,they do some nice fish&chips.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Snowing well on A1 around Bowburn. All three lanes now covered.