Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

please carry on here

old thread here ------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Going by tonight's GFS the snow in the region will be getting washed away this weekend leading to possible flooding problems for some

gfs-0-96.png?12

gfs-1-96.png?12

gfs-2-96.png?12

gfs-0-102.png?12

gfs-1-102.png?12

gfs-2-102.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Posting this again as the other thread was closed after this...

My girlfriend has a lot to answer for, if I had never met her, I would have most likely still been living in Stanley and working in Consett!

Would people in those areas say there is more snow than 2010? I fear I have missed out on what would have been the biggest snow even in my lifetime sad.png

Also just had a thought, what happened to Persian Paladin from Durham? Haven't seen him on here for what feels like years.

Posted

Very sleety now in Durham City.. I'm hoping Gilesgate Moor will just have enough extra height to mean home still has snow!

Scrap that - it's now rain in Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Light rain here, was fun while it lasted.

Posted

Just had a couple of pulses of moderate wet snow pushing through, not really leaving much extra lying though.

Posted

Posting this again as the other thread was closed after this...

Hi MCT,i would say the snow depth is about equal with 2010 while being slightly less cold.Yesterday was truly an epic

day of snowfall and strong winds on high ground,a really memorable event,although would have been nice to

see areas with lower altitude getting the snow as was the case in 2010.

Not sure where PP is these days,haven't seen him post for ages.

ps.hope you are still taking weather pics,you posted some great ones of thunderstorms etc.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

just had drive through to chilton heavy snow there and 6-8 inchs, infact we stopped off and built a snowman lol the kids wanted too honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm going to have to express similar sentiments to what NL expressed earlier.

I've found this cold spell fairly enjoyable, and here in Sandhutton in N Yorkshire have had less issues with sleet, slush and ice than those nearer the coast (although marginality has restricted me to a maximum snow depth of about 4-5cm). However, I just can't summon up as much enthusiasm for these sort of grey south-easterly types as with bright and showery north-easterlies- to my mind snow just doesn't look as picturesque when it's persistently cloudy. I'm certainly not going to remember this cold spell in the way that I remember those of Dec 2009/Jan 2010 and Nov/Dec 2010.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I'm going to have to express similar sentiments to what NL expressed earlier.

I've found this cold spell fairly enjoyable, and here in Sandhutton in N Yorkshire have had less issues with sleet, slush and ice than those nearer the coast (although marginality has restricted me to a maximum snow depth of about 4-5cm). However, I just can't summon up as much enthusiasm for these sort of grey south-easterly types as with bright and showery north-easterlies- to my mind snow just doesn't look as picturesque when it's persistently cloudy. I'm certainly not going to remember this cold spell in the way that I remember those of Dec 2009/Jan 2010 and Nov/Dec 2010.

I agree. Max snow depth here was today at just over 7" in the garden, so under half what I got from the Nov/Dec event.

The main differences for me are:

1) No way near the same depth of cold: in both 2010 events (Jan and Nov/Dec) we had icicles that were feet long from all along the gutters and down the fronts of the houses and shops. Absolutely NOTHING like that this time.

2) A very particular thing: in the Nov/Dec event, the main Gilesgate road, off which my cul-de-sac is located, was closed for street repairs. As a result, no cars were allowed down it, and the entire main road was like a sidestreet: covered in deep snow for a month - it gave the whole event a special, "snowed-in" feeling.

Posted

Hey what do you know there's a webcam at the top of my street ;o, useful if you want to confirm any of my wildly inaccurate weather reports lmfao

https://online.gates...e=2604_cam1.jpg

Mill Lane... Closer too me than I expected Andy, my old school and college was on that street also, never even noticed there was a cam there, may have a closer look when I'm next down there!

Sadly the easterly flow has downgraded for tonight which makes a difference between convective showers and probably just isolated showers hitting us I would of thought.

Posted

Mill Lane... Closer too me than I expected Andy, my old school and college was on that street also, never even noticed there was a cam there, may have a closer look when I'm next down there!

Sadly the easterly flow has downgraded for tonight which makes a difference between convective showers and probably just isolated showers hitting us I would of thought.

Hasn't that just been the story for this entire spell at 24 hrs out from each "event"?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-68505900-1358877456_thumb.p

Cold night for NCL, temps struggling to pass 2c in cities tomorrow as cloud at higher levels develop from dawn. Clear signal develops come Thursday, potential for an ice day.

Posted

Just took an official measurement of 13cms although took another one about a foot away of 11cm. So a pretty good cold spell here.

Also it seemed to be raining in Newcastle around four o clock, how badly is this affecting your snow cover. (I was in the city centre so it was all unsnowy)

If it wasn't for the sleet and thaws over the last few days we could be upwards of 20cm.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Just took an official measurement of 13cms although took another one about a foot away of 11cm. So a pretty good cold spell here.

Also it seemed to be raining in Newcastle around four o clock, how badly is this affecting your snow cover. (I was in the city centre so it was all unsnowy)

Not much really, but the trees are no longer pasted. Overall this year has been about average for snow, but this particular spell has been very good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hi MCT,i would say the snow depth is about equal with 2010 while being slightly less cold.Yesterday was truly an epic

day of snowfall and strong winds on high ground,a really memorable event,although would have been nice to

see areas with lower altitude getting the snow as was the case in 2010.

Not sure where PP is these days,haven't seen him post for ages.

ps.hope you are still taking weather pics,you posted some great ones of thunderstorms etc.smile.png

Thanks for that, at least it's not clearly the best snow event, but I would still love to have been up there to enjoy it!

Coming up on Friday afternoon so I'm hoping there will be plenty left and I'm also hoping to drive up to Waskerley so should see a lot up there at least.

Thanks for the compliment about the photos, I'm not doing much photography at the moment, but can't wait for summer again. There isn't much to take photos of around here, it's a pretty boring place and I miss the north east! Going to Iceland next month though so should get some good pics there, hopefully of the northern lights.

PP was a character, maybe he will pop up again some day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Just measured 13cm (5") here. Good spell.

Now 0.4c and in for a cold night, next 72 hours should be bitter on top of the snow... 2c high tomorrow, -1c high Thursday and a very sharp frost Friday.

Posted

I measured 18cm in the middle of the lawn, but its more like 15cm on the grass generally, and less on pavements obviously.

Posted

Hasn't that just been the story for this entire spell at 24 hrs out from each "event"?

To some extent it seems, we were so close to getting much more snowfall but hey, its just been one of those things but regardless, I'm happy with what I got.

The easterly has been downgraded in respect where the flow is coming from, its more ESE'ly where some models had more Easterly and even briefly ENE'ly.

Despite this and Dec 2010 cold spells, I'm still waiting for that synotopic set up which delivers uppers of -15 or below across the UK, we still have not experienced that and who knows this may happen in February.

Posted

Despite this and Dec 2010 cold spells, I'm still waiting for that synotopic set up which delivers uppers of -15 or below across the UK, we still have not experienced that and who knows this may happen in February.

More chance of a fly pig morphing into a unicorn in my cereal than that happening in February. As good as it would be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

More chance of a fly pig morphing into a unicorn in my cereal than that happening in February. As good as it would be.

depends what if any the effects are from the ssw Edited by Boro Snow