Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 00z------------->

A.J

Posted

Well nearly all schools closed in forest of dean exept newent! For their sake they better hope my daughter doesnt get stranded out there! Have had no updates on travel from buses. So hope they dong stop running till after she gets home! Anyway. Looks like in gloucester city only had few flakes last night. Stroud birdlip cotswolds and fod think had quite a bit judging by school closures.

Edited by Phelpsy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Points West on BBC breakfast, even reporter started with going by latest output etc etc.......

Interesting then. See what Ian has to say later about it.

Can't see myself getting much work done today. :p

Posted

Woke up this morning peered out the window hopeing to see enough snow for the buses to be called off but it wasn't to be traffic flowing fine and there are buses,(sigh)another day of staring at pc's it is then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

The spectre of mild is at the door.much milder on the iow today.bad times.its been fun though :-/ the weekend looks like being beach weather....

Edited by iowpompeylee

Posted

Another disappointment in the most disappointing "snowy" spell of the last 20 years. Rain overnight, little sign of anything else. Once the mild air breaks through at the end of the week I will be binning this week from my memory as fast as possible. Absolutely dreadful if snow is what you want.

Whereas in the far east of our region (north east Hampshire) it has been a fantastic spell of weather. 13cm on Friday, another 1-2cm on Sunday and very little melt. The temperature has only occasionally got above freezing in the last week and there won't be any significant thaw until Saturday. Last night's minimum was -7.5C. Today there is the prospect of another 3-6cm here followed by more freezing temperatures. Obviously I won't believe it until it happens, but if it does this will end up being one of the best spells of weather that I can remember in this part of the world.

Posted

A tale of two front today really.

The first front effecting us last night and this morning, is north south and drags winds in from a southerly source, see first picture, rapid warm up and rain is the result. This has more of a southerly draw than the models thought yesterday and is further east as well.

However from 4pm onwards maybe we have the second front east west in nature with the isobars east west and winds from a slightly north of east direction. This will drag the cold air back in v quickly with the colder air undercutting at 20-25 mph.

The effect of othe change in the first front is that the second front goes further north and is heavier as it interacts with the stronger milder air. Precip totals could be 10-20cm in the second front but the biggest uncertainty is how quickly it moves north and how quickly the colder air digs in, this could still swing to either a big rain sleet event for those south of the cots or a big snow event.

post-6326-0-80486200-1358842245_thumb.jp

post-6326-0-57305300-1358842255_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Heavy rain all night and expected to continue throughout today for me. Temperature hitting a whopping 6C at midday. Still not seen a flake this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well i'm quite surprised to see a fresh inch of snow this morning drinks.gif

Still all game on I see for decent falls this evening... clapping.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

We get it already, it didn't snow for you. Doesn't mean it was the same for loads of others, I'm 15 miles from you and had 4 inches Friday much of which is still clinging on so change the record, it's getting really boring. It's the weather, no ones fault!

I wasnt aware I had blamed anybody. Neither was I aware that this is a thread only for those who can jump up and down for joy at their 4 inches of snow. I hope you enjoyed it - I'm pleased for all that have had fun... but there are plenty who have not and this is not a thread simply for those who are making snowmen. I wont be changing the record - if I get snow I will jump up and down like everyone else, and if it continues to rain I will continue to be grumpy. That's how it is and that is what this thread is for. If you dont like it then go make a thread with the title: Snow Reports for those with Snow only.

Heavy rain all night and expected to continue throughout today for me. Temperature hitting a whopping 6C at midday. Still not seen a flake this winter.

Yep - so far it has been a shocker down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Whereas in the far east of our region (north east Hampshire) it has been a fantastic spell of weather. 13cm on Friday, another 1-2cm on Sunday and very little melt. The temperature has only occasionally got above freezing in the last week and there won't be any significant thaw until Saturday. Last night's minimum was -7.5C. Today there is the prospect of another 3-6cm here followed by more freezing temperatures. Obviously I won't believe it until it happens, but if it does this will end up being one of the best spells of weather that I can remember in this part of the world.

Just proves how small distances even in our very small part of the world can make a huge difference. Due north of here, only spitting distance really, it is snowing heavily again this morning. Did the same on Sunday and especially on Friday. Feb 2012 also the same - nothing here, but snow only 30 miles due east. Luck of the draw I guess. Before I get slandered again for posting in a grumpy way can I emphasise I am delighted for all those who have snow because I know personally how happy it would make me if it fell here. Go enjoy it because maybe next year local variations wont be so kind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

A bit of fresh snow here this morning, but only a dusting really. I see the heavy stuff just skimmed to the east!!

Although it looks like theres another chunk of ppn moving out of northern France! Should be an interesting day watching things develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning peeps, keep it friendly eh. There will always be winners and losers when it comes to snow, but it's not worth getting grumpy about it. Anyone who really can't resist having a moan about it all should post their grump in here:

Posted

Looking at Raintoday radar there's a huge mass of precipitation building up over N France, Brittany area - looks to be heading north to most of the SW/Central South region.

Will it be snow or a wintry mix? - guess it depends if there's a milder sector mixed in.

Radar watch today, folks!

Posted

Just proves how small distances even in our very small part of the world can make a huge difference. Due north of here, only spitting distance really, it is snowing heavily again this morning. Did the same on Sunday and especially on Friday. Feb 2012 also the same - nothing here, but snow only 30 miles due east. Luck of the draw I guess. Before I get slandered again for posting in a grumpy way can I emphasise I am delighted for all those who have snow because I know personally how happy it would make me if it fell here. Go enjoy it because maybe next year local variations wont be so kind!

Graphics do indicate it could turn to snow in your nexk of the woods later tonight so try remain positive many of us understand it can be frustrating when you seem to miss every event around you. Still time so hold in. good.gif Does look like most of us could see some rain before it turns to snow first though so don't throw towel in too early if it does rain.

Posted

BBC news are in Princetown waiting for the snow, its sleeting now.

Be interesting to hear how quickly it does turn to snow for you today.. Would you be able to track the snow line down the hill for us.. cheers good.gif

Posted · Hidden by jethro, January 22, 2013 - Enough already.
Hidden by jethro, January 22, 2013 - Enough already.

I wasnt aware I had blamed anybody. Neither was I aware that this is a thread only for those who can jump up and down for joy at their 4 inches of snow. I hope you enjoyed it - I'm pleased for all that have had fun... but there are plenty who have not and this is not a thread simply for those who are making snowmen. I wont be changing the record - if I get snow I will jump up and down like everyone else, and if it continues to rain I will continue to be grumpy. That's how it is and that is what this thread is for. If you dont like it then go make a thread with the title: Snow Reports for those with Snow only.

Yep - so far it has been a shocker down here.

Haha, over reaction. My point was over two threads this last few days you've posted countless times moaning that you didn't get snow, not informing, moaning. It gets tedious, it would be the same if the same person continually told a thread how many inches they'd had in their back garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

WOW!!! What a night. Got woken by the wife who was wondering what was going on last night, Opened the curtains and good god blocks of ice were seemingly falling from the sky. Accompanied by the soundtrack for thunder and lightening. That was midnight and then woken again at 6. Woolwell again is a winter wonderland with up to an inch deep of hail / ice. Again got 2 miles down the road and its just rain. Its getting darker down here in work so hopefully lots more thunder.

To end off a surreal 12 hours put the telly on this morning and there is Princetown in all its snowtastic glory....no sign of the beast though blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

We definitely cannot complain in this part of the region! The past week has been great for snow and cold lovers. Looking at the radar, the possibility for this evening looks good too. Provided that band of precipitation continues north! At the moment, the met office have me down for light snow from 3pm today until 9am tomorrow, with heavy snow at 6pm tonight. A radar-watching day, methinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Be interesting to hear how quickly it does turn to snow for you today.. Would you be able to track the snow line down the hill for us.. cheers good.gif

No problem Mullender.... First update, snowing now!!