Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 21st 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

No. It's destined for economic and social collapse. I'd get out while you can.

Lmaooo good one, and the rest of the North East isn't destined for such a disaster, not but seriously, is there any proper snow on the horizon?

Posted

What are your thoughts on the feature highlighted by IF for tomorrow?

Not sure Nick, have not look at the models or watched any forecasts today but upper air temps should get mariginally colder this afternoon and they should be colder for certain tomorrow - not by much but could be the difference between wet snow and proper snow.

As hard as it is trying to lie here, you do feel once this heavy burst passes over, any slushy dusting on roofs(especially non east facing roofs) will quickly melt, at least visually its interesting now and dare I say, its verging on Blizzards around here.

Posted

Just driving rain with occasional sleet for good measure in Whitley Bay / Tynemouth. Met O forecast says more of the same through tomorrow and Wednesday, local BBC suggest possible snow. Is the temperature likely to drop enough for snow right down to the coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Lmaooo good one, and the rest of the North East isn't destined for such a disaster, not but seriously, is there any proper snow on the horizon?

It will get colder again as I have suggested as the system tracks north, some back edge snow is probable right down to sea level, whether the system is active enough to give a decent covering though is another matter.

Posted

Not sure Nick, have not look at the models or watched any forecasts today but upper air temps should get mariginally colder this afternoon and they should be colder for certain tomorrow - not by much but could be the difference between wet snow and proper snow.

As hard as it is trying to lie here, you do feel once this heavy burst passes over, any slushy dusting on roofs(especially non east facing roofs) will quickly melt, at least visually its interesting now and dare I say, its verging on Blizzards around here.

Yes, it looks raw and bleak out there... I love it!... My daughter wasn't too impressed walking to school: "I like snow, but not when it's hard [it was grains] and with the wind".

A disgraceful comment , clearly, and I shall be making sure I teach her proper cold and snow appreciation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Despite the showers being of snow its a bit of a waste as the snow cover is melting with huge puddles everywhere, just a raw unpleasant day here.

I thought this would be the case. I remember the snow event of the 3rd-5th February 2001 when in Cleadon I had 36 hours of heavy wet snow but the temperature oscillated between 0.9 and 1.5C (depending on how heavy the snow was) and none of it accumulated, and it was very raw and unpleasant outside, but just 5 miles further inland, about 2-3 inches lay. This event looked similar.

Same here.. My little girl has however said -

"Mammy why don't you dry the garden with a towel"

She is desperate for snow.

Had to chuckle

There's a common perception that wet ground is one of the main factors that prevents snow from lying- but this is only generally true if the snow is light and temperatures are marginal. If the air temperature is around or above 1C and the dew point is near or above freezing, chances are the snowflakes will be starting to melt as they approach the ground and so will just melt on contact, no matter how dry the ground is.

When I was her age I probably believed in the same misconception- years of taking weather records and studying temperature behaviour were what cured me of it as I soon found that temperatures of 0.6C and below usually supported accumulations if the snow was moderate or heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

1.1c 0c here snowing but no chance of laying need temps to drop that extra half a degree it is going down tho

Posted

Temps looking a bit dicey : 0.6°C / -0.1°C

Anyone else?

Just a quick response. yesterday down here the temps rose to 1.c dew -0.3 but it still came down.

Posted

Temps looking a bit dicey : 0.6°C / -0.1°C

Anyone else?

-0.5/-0.6C Medomsley station. Been steady all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

Guys a bit of hope wind has dropped and we are now getting a covering of hail and light snow, covering the slush, just need a good half hour of this now:)

Posted

Still heavy drifting snow in Consett area. Looks like cold weather may hang around longer than the weekend if model forum is anything to go off. Models picking up a signal that atlantic may not have an easy ride into uk. Altitude may have more snow over weekend!?

Posted

Still heavy drifting snow in Consett area. Looks like cold weather may hang around longer than the weekend if model forum is anything to go off. Models picking up a signal that atlantic may not have an easy ride into uk. Altitude may have more snow over weekend!?

Cold looks like staying in-situ until the middle of Friday now....which, is quite a long way in forecasting terms.....

Posted

A good 5 inches of snow has fallen here since midnight and still coming down moderate and

drifting.

Couple of pics of front and back garden.

Maybe some hope for those nearer the coast if the wind dies down later on,as it would

lessen the warming influence of the North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I feel violated........