Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 21/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Morning, just walked half the distance to work ~4miles and it changes a lot across the N/NE/E of the city.

NW where I live had about 8"inches of snow, so dug the missus out to make sure she got to work ok, then walked from her work. Main roads are ok, but slushy, side roads covered and being compacted so temperature drop will make it hard work when it freezes.

Snow falling now is a mixture of chunkier stuff in NW and E and finer drizzle / snow across the N/NE. Noticable change in temperature as well, fast melt across the N/NE and nothing in NW/E.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

About 4cm snow here- same as yesterday. It's proved to be a very marginal event at low levels, the temperature fell no lower than 0.8C and is now up at 1.1C so I am doubtful of further accumulations. The snow thawed a bit early in the night but started to settle after 5am but has thawed a little again after 9am.

Posted

I am really surprised that there wasn't a wide-spread amber warning, these snow depths are identical, if not greater, than most of the snow that fell in the SW and the Midlands on Friday.

Was thinking this myself

Posted

Some decent snow coming down in Skipton at present but don't understand how it will last all day though - from looking at radar?

Posted

Fat succulent flakes again, 16 level cms. Im well impressed. Looking at radar, we should hit 20cms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well 9.5cm has fallen here since last night bringing the total to 14cm. Anything else on the horizon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I've gotta say, I'm really impressed with the leaders/companies here managing to keep the city running.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

Some decent snow coming down in Skipton at present but don't understand how it will last all day though - from looking at radar?

There certainly is, Dunc. I'm in my office in town and just looked out of the window. Wasn't expecting it to be so full on snow down here.

Up at my house (towards Burnsall) it is pretty mental, very glad of the 4x4. Kids school in Ilkley closed so poor wife having to look after both while I enjoy the peace and quiet of the office!

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Just been for a walk over the road to the river, once you get down there and in the fields you can tell how much snow really fell. Cow field is at least a foot deep allover

apart from the dips and rises where snow has backed up and its up to my knees. Fridays knee high drifts are now top of the thigh deep, it was hard work walking.

The snows not as good as Fridays powder but its not wet either, it clumps up very little but is more sticky than Fridays. I've lived here 9yrs and i would put this in a

fight for 2nd place with 2009. Just started snowing harder too, -0.8C but feels much colder.

Posted

Snowing much heavier in Dodworth for past hour. Sheffield Hallam Uni is open but I don't feel safe driving there whilst OH is in Norfolk and my mini is crap in the snow. Having a hot chocolate, watching the snow and doing a but of reading for uni! When I went to bed at 1 am there was barely 1 cm of snow so I'm surprised so much has fallen!

Edited by Siobhan Andrewartha

Posted

The snow has cleared away for now, but i'm looking forward to some bitterly cold nights this week in the snow fields,starting from tonight.

Posted

morning all. Well we have snow here but not much, only a small covering. Not suprising really given the wet nature of the snow that fell and also the marginal conditions that prevailed. Radar showing somewhat of a clearance approaching from the SE.

Posted

Morning, bitterly cold in Cleethopes, sleety stuff blowing in off the sea and a temp of 1c. Just returned from Bnbrook approx 9 miles inland and there is about 2-4 ft of snow, drifting in the strong breeze, roads very treacherous,impassable in places in the Thorganby area. Ah well, at least I saw some proper stuff! Rgds.

Posted

Very fine, moderate snow at Linton, the Met office here say it will persist all day, maybe 2cm accumulation.

Still like to have the snow levels of some of you guys though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Out in work van in strensall to the north if York. Snowing moderately but very wet. Only a few cm's of fresh snow maybe bit more. Was hoping this would be the best snow event so far nowhere close!

Posted

Over 2 1/2 hrs to get the 10 miles into Leeds. Motorways were completely clear, just the side roads jammed. No Arriva buses at all and many others cancelled or running short. Most schools shut and lots of people taking the day off. We got just about 10cam last night and its still coming down. Leeds centre not as much but still 4 or 5 cm which isn't bad for a built up area.

Posted

Anyone who is saying we have only had 3-4cm of Snow must be blind we have had 15-20cm herr i Dronfield on the Border with Sheffield.

LOL yup and some people said at 2am this morning couple more hours and its moving away can't see anymore! lol welllllllll look outside! its still going!! hows that egg on your face

Posted

Over 2 1/2 hrs to get the 10 miles into Leeds. Motorways were completely clear, just the side roads jammed. No Arriva buses at all and many others cancelled or running short. Most schools shut and lots of people taking the day off. We got just about 10cam last night and its still coming down. Leeds centre not as much but still 4 or 5 cm which isn't bad for a built up area.

I work in Roberttown (live in Huddersfield). I've not even attempted to make the commute.

Posted

Anyone heard from AdamLUFC or has he been snowed in help.gif not that he will admit it.

I think he has decided to stay in for the rest of the day, due to the amount of people throwing snowballs at him earlierrofl.gif