Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 21/01/13 6z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Further to my last post, there isn't much on the radars right now so I guess the MetO were referring to the stuff in the English Channel which the French appear to have knicked. Nevertheless, this goes to show the difficulties of attempting snowfall predictions.

I remain confident that something may well pop up again during the next few days at short-term notice.

Now where was I? Ah yes.....................................................

g010.gif a070.gif a080.gif h025.gif h030.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Just seen your location, You may get more than us here in somerset today, further south and east today has higher chance, so maybe 1-2 cm for you there.

Posted

Just a dusting overnight near Truro but several cm on the way to work, all the way from Penryn and on the Lizard peninsula.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

From Ian;

W COUNTRY Tues has potential to bring 5-10cm over uncertain area *broadly* encompassing E Devon; Som; N Dorset; Bristol/B&NES; Glos; W Wilts

W COUNTRY Still uncertainty re potential snow threat Tuesday. Some AM falls likely for some, but later PM/eve could prove more significant..

W COUNTRY CONT'D At this juncture & given varied forecast model outcomes, we cater for 30% chance of over 10cm in those areas. Updates later

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Tuesdays potential snow is a difficult one, some in our region look at risk of something significant, but where???? A copmlex stalling/pivoting front coming up against some cold air. Likely to have a mild sector wrapped within.

So we have many uncertainties,

Exact track

How far east it makes it into the region

Where the snow line is

And where the milder sectors are

All in all a complex forecast.

Ian has just tweeted this,

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

W COUNTRY Still uncertainty re potential snow threat Tuesday. Some AM falls likely for some, but later PM/eve could prove more significant..

That says to me the "pivot" will be important as the cold potentially wraps back around the feature as it pivots.

To be honest we have had loads of snow here, but you still can't help wanting more, especially when the potential is there for something significant. Frustrating stuff,lol.

Edited by chris55

Posted

Just a dusting overnight near Truro but several cm on the way to work, all the way from Penryn and on the Lizard peninsula.

Glad you got some of the white stuff now send it to twister girl, then we can end this on a high :)

Posted

6z GFS also keeps it South coast only ... We need a Northwards correction from the GFS and UKMO this afternoon , or it could be a damp squid for most ..........

Posted

From Ian

W COUNTRY CONT'D At this juncture & given varied forecast model outcomes, we cater for 30% chance of over 10cm in those areas. Updates later

Posted

6z GFS also keeps it South coast only ... We need a Northwards correction from the GFS and UKMO this afternoon , or it could be a damp squid for most ..........

Agree looking at 6z GFS charts, but reading the tweets from Ian F (posted earlier) there does seem to be "potential"??

Guessing METO (Ian F) has access to other data that shows the low pushing further northwards??

Edited by theprophecyman

Posted

Take the raw 06z output with caution as it has been heavily modified for the TV forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

From Ian;

W COUNTRY Tues has potential to bring 5-10cm over uncertain area *broadly* encompassing E Devon; Som; N Dorset; Bristol/B&NES; Glos; W Wilts

I'm guessing Oxfordshire would be just a bit to far east for this potential, who knows, yesterday evening NAE had it stalling over us..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

One day away and we have no clue as to roughly who will see or not see this snow, so frustrating.

May have to just wait for the 12z and hope it firms up on a good fall for as many of us as possible. tease.gif

Posted

One day away and we have no clue as to roughly who will see or not see this snow, so frustrating.

May have to just wait for the 12z and hope it firms up on a good fall for as many of us as possible. tease.gif

And If it doesn't, we nowcast! :p :p

Posted

Agree looking at 6z GFS charts, but reading the tweets from Ian F (posted earlier) there does seem to be "potential"??

Guessing METO (Ian F) has access to other data that shows the low pushing further northwards??

I get the feeling this feature is for the high res models only. UKV NAE etc. Perhaps the UKMO/GFS lower res means they are not picking up the risk.

Anyone know if we can get access to the UKV model?

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Further to my last post, there isn't much on the radars right now so I guess the MetO were referring to the stuff in the English Channel which the French appear to have knicked. Nevertheless, this goes to show the difficulties of attempting snowfall predictions.

I remain confident that something may well pop up again during the next few days at short-term notice.

Happy birthday sir!!

Posted

Of course there's potential , Just worrying the GFS and the UKMO had the 10cm + showing for last few days and now the day before there starting to drop it .... Slightly more marginal though will mean more moisture , so hopefully we will have more precipitation to play with .. Either way it will be down to radar watching ... Also wouldn't rule out Bristol channel showers today ,the air looks very unstable ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Tuesdays potential snow is a difficult one, some in our region look at risk of something significant, but where???? A copmlex stalling/pivoting front coming up against some cold air. Likely to have a mild sector wrapped within.

So we have many uncertainties,

Exact track

How far east it makes it into the region

Where the snow line is

And where the milder sectors are

All in all a complex forecast.

Ian has just tweeted this,

That says to me the "pivot" will be important as the cold potentially wraps back around the feature as it pivots.

To be honest we have had loads of snow here, but you still can't help wanting more, especially when the potential is there for something significant. Frustrating stuff,lol.

I get you but we've had nothing here apart from sleet and the same goes for Cornwall, our time hopefully will come on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Posted

Owww. looking a little more interesting now on Wednesday morning:

prectypeuktopo.png

But only for a short while:

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Happy Birthday,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mid life Crisis Beckons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have nice day

Posted

latest high res NAE computer model has increased the snow risk for southern coastal counties this morning

13012300_2106.gif

The high res WRF-NMM model 00 run was looking similar too!!

nmm-1-48-0.png?21-07

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Where's Tuesday's event coming from, is it up from France or does it simply develop overhead?

Any ideas folks. cc_confused.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Happy birthday have a great day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm...well I'm ging to sit on the fence and wait I think....I 've had doubts & then hopes about any snowfall for tomorrow for the past 24 hours, as GFS & NMM (hi-res) haven't really wanted to know, yet NAE and info from our own Ian F say otherwise.....I'm just surprised the model outputs are showing such different outcomes at T24-36.....In fact for tuesday from an IMBY perspective the 06z GFS looks worse....mind you it is the 06z run!.....guess it just goes to show how complex and much uncertainty there is at the moment

Happy Birthday Tony, you're catching me up! drinks.gif

Posted

Happy Birthday,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mid life Crisis Beckons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have nice day

I'm already there. blum.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather