Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

If we do get some snow tonight/tomorrow I hope it's not as marginal as last time for us in Llanelli...4 hours of rain beforehand ruined the snow accumulation depths here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

No sign of snow tomorrow AM or PM in the BBC/M.O forecasts for me, yet TV forecasts and models are showing prolonged heavy snow! wacko.png

I was just about to post the same thing.very strange indeed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Temp up to 1c here now, have not been able to get a severe frost due to cloud cover which is disappointing , got to -2c last night but temp up and down due to cloud cover. A thaw should set in properly today.

Posted

I was just about to post the same thing.very strange indeed

Auto-generated website "forecasts" should be ignored. The TV forecasts are compiled by metereologists and are far more reliable (though not of course infallible).

Posted

Yes, it has just started snowing here! Light though

Good to hear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Good to hear

There are some surprisingly big flakes mixed in every now and then! Is that band on the radar to our NW moving SE'ly?

Posted

There are some surprisingly big flakes mixed in every now and then! Is that band on the radar to our NW moving SE'ly?

Looks like its losing intensity as its hitting land

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

BBC National forecast has snow over Cardiff for most of the day tomorrow, but at the same time stressing 'it may not be exactly where it's shown here'. So still lots of uncertainty just a day before.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just to say the standard and content of the Wales thread has been excellent this Winter, most informative, objective and knowledgeable contributors! Marvellous

Posted

A slight NW drift around the low over the north Midlands may help further snow flurries move into west and SW Wales this afternoon. This system has though introduced less cold air as Mike observes, 1.7c dp 0c here currently. As ohters have said the lack of cold nights is speeding up the thaw with the ground not properly frozen.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Someone has just forwarded this email from someone who is a Met Office Advisor (civil contingencies)

Subject: TRIM: Weather Update

Morning All

Here’s the latest re the current cold spell and the snow situation

Today

The light snow falling across parts of North Wales will gradually move away to the north and die out over the next few hours. A few snow showers are possible in other areas, mainly western areas of Wales (the radar is showing some affecting parts of Pembrokeshire at present). Although these may become heavy at times and give a slight covering of snow in places, I’m not expecting these to cause any major issues.

Tonight

Now the more difficult aspect of the forecast.

There’s scope for further snow showers overnight, particularly in western areas of Wales, and these are likely to extend across southern parts of Wales later in the night. These showers are likely to give accumulations of 2 or 3cm in places later in the night and with some mix of rain/sleet in the showers in coastal areas there’s also likely to be some very icy surfaces too.

There’s also the possibility of a more persistent area of snow forming across southern areas of Wales tomorrow morning and persisting into the afternoon with the potential for more significant disruption. However, confidence regarding this aspect is very low. At present the intention is that a Yellow warning (low risk of medium impacts) will be placed on the Met Office website later this morning. This may be updated to AMBER this afternoon if the confidence increases. Hence, I’ll keep you informed through the day.

Apologies for the vagueness re tomorrow but please call if you wish to discuss.

Edited by joo

Posted

They will be waiting for Ensembles and 12z NAE to check that the 06z wasn't anomalous.

I can't see NAE changing significantly this afternoon but who knows? The pros don't seem to right now!

Posted

Issued at: 1212 on Mon 21 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0300 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Outbreaks of sleet or snow may affect parts of southwest England and south Wales during Tuesday. The main risk appears to be in the western portion of the warning area but snow may extend east as far as Wiltshire and Hampshire late on Tuesday. Some 2-5 cm of snow is likely in places with a risk of as much as 5-10 cm, more particularly high ground.

The public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.

As this is very likely to be updated please monitor the website for possible updates.

Posted

They will be waiting for Ensembles and 12z NAE to check that the 06z wasn't anomalous.

I can't see NAE changing significantly this afternoon but who knows? The pros don't seem to right now!

Gareth it can change bigtime, take last friday for instance when the oz thursday came out it was bringing about 20mm to our area then the 6z was suppose to bring 35mm to our area( that was red warning time) and then the later 12z brought it back to around 20mm and that was what we really had.

So i think the 12z will be very intresting because if it still says around 30mm then the game is on. I will be shocked if its that much going what ukmo oz was showing and the dog dinner Gfs 6z.

Edited by snowy36

Posted

Issued at: 1212 on Mon 21 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0300 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Outbreaks of sleet or snow may affect parts of southwest England and south Wales during Tuesday. The main risk appears to be in the western portion of the warning area but snow may extend east as far as Wiltshire and Hampshire late on Tuesday. Some 2-5 cm of snow is likely in places with a risk of as much as 5-10 cm, more particularly high ground.

The public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.

As this is very likely to be updated please monitor the website for possible updates.

Very intresting, i think if its bad on the 12z then i can see them upgrading to amber by 4ish

Posted

Temp is well above freezing here today, got up to 4.1c half an hour ago although has fallen back slightly since. A fairly significant thaw continuing.

Posted

I'm not convinced we'll get as much snow as Friday. It doesn't seem that intense of bbc forecasts but maybe they just haven't gone into much detail yet.

I think this one a tough one because last friday's one was clear for a few days that it was going to snow but this one it's rather a sneaky one because it's only going to afect afew and its get the detail right. Going to be a intresting day for me as ive had afew days of and im in early tomm morning.

I say bring it on. U never know it could be the last we see of snow this winter.

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Powys, Neath Port Talbot, Swansea, Bridgend, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Vale of Glamorgan, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire, Newport & Torfaen valid from 0300 Tue 22 Jan to 2359 Tue 22 Jan