Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 20/01/13 ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Please carry on here

old thread here ---------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Repost of Jackone's post re. met office warnings....

Wales ice-yellow.gifIce

Issued at: 1627 on Sun 20 Jan 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2355 on Tue 22 Jan 2013

As temperatures fall below freezing on Monday night into Tuesday morning icy stretches are likely on untreated surfaces especially in areas where any further sleet, snow or rain has fallen on Monday. In addition, further rain reaching the extreme southwest on Monday night may extend north and east on Tuesday across southern Britain readily turning to sleet and snow, giving further localised snow accumulation. However the extent of any wintry precipitation is very uncertain at this stage, The public should be aware of the risk of travel disruption.

Chief Forecaster's Assessment

Another night with icy surfaces as temperatures fall below freezing. However, a further frontal system may edge into southern Britain on Tuesday increasing the risk of further localised falls of snow. However, computer models are giving mixed signals regarding its extent so things remain very uncertain at this stage.

Posted

Hi all,

It has been snowing here in Northeast Powys since about 10:30am, but it didnt stick until 16:00pm-ish. in fact the snow was thawing all day with temps marginally above zero. The thaw was quite savage here yesterday too!

The snow was really wet, but seems much drier since the temp had dropped below zero, stil not quite as dry and fluffy as fridays snow though.

stil has topped us up another few centimeters since 16:00pm, and stil snowing :)

Looking ahead to next weekend, it seems a case of

UKMO & ECM v GFS & GEM

UKMO & ECM are both progressive in feeding in mild South-westerlies by Friday, with the weather turning milder by Saturday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif

GFS & GEM have much more of a battle with more southerly winds and a battleground over the UK.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1441.png gemnh-0-144.png?12

Given the performance of the models of recent weeks, I would rate them UKMO,GEM, ECM and GFS - entirely my opinion and solely based on last couple of weeks.

It does look like turning milder around next weekend onwards, and possibly a quick affair if UKMO & ECM are right, possibly the more likely option at the moment.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Great pics welshwizard...i hope your in a 4x4 up there! lol

yes and even that failed over the other side as the snow had drifted and filled in between the 2 sides about 14 ft high ha ha.fantastic snow up there as its very high and very windy. never know there maybe more this week and its only 2 mins from my front door.

Posted

Can anyone explain why the snow heading towards south wales up the bristol channel will not actually get here on its current track I make it hitting Swansea at 6 in the morning, nobody seems to be commenting, I admit I am no expert but the track looks pretty clear to me

Posted

lol....not even trying the hills round here...not in my little honda civic...it feels like its on skis when there is snow on the road!

The snow here looks to be fizzling out a bit as it starts to push to the north now....lets see what tuesday brings! :)

Posted

Can anyone explain why the snow heading towards south wales up the bristol channel will not actually get here on its current track I make it hitting Swansea at 6 in the morning, nobody seems to be commenting, I admit I am no expert but the track looks pretty clear to me

Its supose to pull away east from us at around midnight if u go by the fax charts.

Posted

seems like the people on the mad model thread are looking for the prozac again, some charts have come out and they dont like them at all and its doom and gloom again,what i find hard tho is its about 8 or 9 days away so that could change many time from now until then.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Posted

The front moves along the English Channel catching the S East coast giving them another 2cms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

Well its official alex on countryfile said next weeks charts sud be taken with a pinch of salt....also tuesdays snow event looke quite impressive lasting 6 to 8 hours as always subject to change.......

Posted

Well its official alex on countryfile said next weeks charts sud be taken with a pinch of salt....also tuesdays snow event looke quite impressive lasting 6 to 8 hours as always subject to change.......

what do the white shaded areas on his maps mean? is that indicating lying snow?

BTW still snowing steadily here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

what do the white shaded areas on his maps mean? is that indicating lying snow?

BTW still snowing steadily here.

Posted

That generally means that the snow is intense enough to give a covering yes....but u Will have to use the charts to get an idea of depth ...but remember it is what it is a forecast and subject to shifts east or west at this stage

Hi mate, what areas was the snow over Tuesday for the hours you said? Cheers.

Posted

It was showing from id say swansea to chepstow and it seemed the further east the longer the event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

-5.3c here tonight. Very cold. Wonder how cold it'll get?!

Posted

Already fallen to -5.9c since I last posted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Im going to stick my neck out and say -8.3 tonight

Edited by dbaloo

Posted

Wales are u sure its -5.9, mine says it's -0.2 plus that would make llantrisant the coldest place in GB??

Posted

Wales are u sure its -5.9, mine says it's -0.2 plus that would make llantrisant the coldest place in GB??

I'm finally back home now I live fairly high up too. Bout 8inches of snow on ground at home.

I've got an Oregon scientific weather sensor it's hanging off a nail on the wall about 20 meters from house. Made sure there's no snow on it. My car says -3.5c and that usually underestimates it. Certainly well below zero.

I was stuck at my gfs for a few days in Llantrisant