Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted

yeah, that was a good one, and 21st Feb '10

Hmmm, I don't remember that one? Maybe I just missed out here.

Good call re Feb 2007 by the way - that was our first significant snowfall here for about six years.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just been for a walk up into Upper Gornal itself. Some very deep snow where it has drifted..well over a foot on my road in spots. The main road is in a terrible state. Absolute ghost town except the bad karaoke coming from the local pub!

Still snowing lightly.

Just been skyping home to the parents in Quarry Bank. Not much drifting there but home is quite sheltered but they have a good 15cm or so I think. Still snowing there now and the roads are dead however theyve told me the council has done a good job in gritting it. I have to say, im usually impressed by Dudley Council, where home is at least. Much of the time, the road is clear. Only very heavy snow that beats all grit causes problems. They did say it was starting to stick to the road now though.

But here in Cornwall, its BELOW FREEZING, at -1c, DP -2c and precipitation just over the Scilly Isles now. Could we finally see snow here? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hmmm, I don't remember that one? Maybe I just missed out here.

Good call re Feb 2007 by the way - that was our first significant snowfall here for about six years.

Bish

And of course 30th Nov-01 Dec '10, and 22 Dec '10

Posted

And of course 30th Nov-01 Dec '10, and 22 Dec '10

I was a little too south for them...though still got a quick couple of cm out of them!

Snow very light now. Don't think the stuff in London will get here because things are shifting and the trajectory will have changed slightly. East of Birmingham might catch something from it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Just been skyping home to the parents in Quarry Bank. Not much drifting there but home is quite sheltered but they have a good 15cm or so I think. Still snowing there now and the roads are dead however theyve told me the council has done a good job in gritting it. I have to say, im usually impressed by Dudley Council, where home is at least. Much of the time, the road is clear. Only very heavy snow that beats all grit causes problems. They did say it was starting to stick to the road now though.

But here in Cornwall, its BELOW FREEZING, at -1c, DP -2c and precipitation just over the Scilly Isles now. Could we finally see snow here? :D

I popped to the tesco in audnam about an hour and a half ago with a friend, who said they've only seen one gritter all day, which the girl in tesco also said. The main road was getting covered over even at that point, along with brettell lane, and it's still coming down, think there'll be problems in the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Evening chaps!...good to see you getting plenty of the white stuff up in my old stomping grounds! good.gif

How's the roads doing up there?...I'm due to drive up to Tamworth/Atherstone in the morning, or is it not worth getting out of bed?

Posted

But here in Cornwall, its BELOW FREEZING, at -1c, DP -2c and precipitation just over the Scilly Isles now. Could we finally see snow here? biggrin.png

It's possible but you are on the coast. I wish you well - you're in with a chance.

Kind regards.

Mike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I popped to the tesco in audnam about an hour and a half ago with a friend, who said they've only seen one gritter all day, which the girl in tesco also said. The main road was getting covered over even at that point, along with brettell lane, and it's still coming down, think there'll be problems in the morning!

Yeah, im sure everywhere isnt too good. We may do a bit better as home is right one one of the main roads to Merry Hill so may get extra priority but still, its going to be difficult for all tomorrow.

Posted

Evening chaps!...good to see you getting plenty of the white stuff up in my old stomping grounds! good.gif

How's the roads doing up there?...I'm due to drive up to Tamworth/Atherstone in the morning, or is it not worth getting out of bed?

i'm near Nuneaton and we've had around 12cms today, Atherstone might be worse coz it's at the foot of a 600ft ridge, so they may be more??

We have almost 12" level snow here now, but main roads have around 1" of ice on them and I can't hear the motorway, so everyone must be staying at home......still snowing well here, moderately.

Posted

It's possible but you are on the coast. I wish you well - you're in with a chance.

Kind regards.

Mike.

Indeed, the readings in my post are actually from Culdrose, more low lying and a bit further South West. Having said that, the Isles of Scilly Dewpoints are at 1c now but they have even more significant warming from the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Yeah, im sure everywhere isnt too good. We may do a bit better as home is right one one of the main roads to Merry Hill so may get extra priority but still, its going to be difficult for all tomorrow.

Probably, not good here, fingers crossed you see a few flakes!

Posted

the roads should be fine mate if anything like here. Gritters been doing a decent job recently tbh despite 15/20cms of snow we've had

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks chaps.....I'd be coming up the M42 then A5 into Atherstone......I'll play it by ear I think and have a look online first thing in the morning

Posted

Are we expecting anything from the sw later ?

Nope that's our lot now unfortunately, fingers crossed the NAE is correct for Tuesday, it's been pretty consistent lately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Nope that's our lot now unfortunately, fingers crossed the NAE is correct for Tuesday, it's been pretty consistent lately.

Think this is our lot yeah, tuesday looks cold and dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Clearing here now according to radar although we still have snow falling. Was a fun day although wish we had had no thaw in the day and then my children might have got a snow day tomorrow!

Posted

Still snowing! Finally easing, is it about to end after 12 hours???

Since 4pm the roads have a good 2/3 cm on them

The grass, with a little help from Friday must have 10/12 cm easy, maybe pushing 15cm in a few spots

That's alot for here, and most places!!

Depths have other folk got?

Posted

snow finally stopping here now , had a good 4" of fresh snow fall this afternoon , if we had'nt had a slight thaw earlier and a few hours of snow not sticking then we would have some serious totals.

it is also surprising the difference locally , at my work place just 9 miles away there is probably half the depth of snow

Edited by deka