Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 10z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Light snow here but the flakes are very small. Looking at the radar, it looks like we are right on the edge of the ppn as it pivots round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Looks like its struggling to get much further west... Cmon.. Would be great if that LP decided to sweep the country. E to W lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but soggy wetness

started with light grains about 90mins ago - steadily getting more dense - Horses well fed up already and want to get back inside. Pattern appears to be drifting westward from the look at the radar. Quite a surprise as wasn't expecting anything of note today

Edited by pug205

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Snow seems to be getting heavier now, larger flake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Sunshine,

Looks like we'll miss out by just a few miles...precipitation stalling and thinning according to rain today over Southampton. ..17 miles from here! Oh well..did get some sledging in yesterday :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Also this copied from the other thread, courtesy of AWD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting;

post-12721-0-46666500-1358676284_thumb.jpg

Now I know thus shows rain for Somerset, Dorset and the South Coast but this is at 48 hours so future runs can improve on this. But that's some moderately heavy snow for Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, plus notice the mass of snow in the Atlantic. Mmmmmm........

I have lost all optimism. Friday a non event: 3cm lying snow. Dry yesterday with melt. Dry today. Dry tomorrow. Tuesday rain, or too far out west. Warm up by weekend and possibility of atlantic driven weather the week after. GP gone quiet on his forecast too. Cars driving through town with 4 inches on their tops while I stare at a concrete drive with nothing on it. If I banked all the model runs from the last few days and looked at them in mid summer I would swear that precipitation amounts would have to be at least 10mm and possibly as much as 20 or 30 mm over the course of a few days. As it is this is the most underwhelming cold winter spell compared to operational charts I can remember. I have dreamed of undercutting lows over a cold block for years: now they come and it is a damp squib so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Snow coming down bt more now, still light but getting better.

Few frames ahead of actual to 1.15 getting closer, thenwhole system seems to have piveted more than tv forecast showed, they showed right up east coast.

post-13809-0-46158500-1358681318_thumb.j

Posted

I have lost all optimism. Friday a non event: 3cm lying snow. Dry yesterday with melt. Dry today. Dry tomorrow. Tuesday rain, or too far out west. Warm up by weekend and possibility of atlantic driven weather the week after. GP gone quiet on his forecast too. Cars driving through town with 4 inches on their tops while I stare at a concrete drive with nothing on it. If I banked all the model runs from the last few days and looked at them in mid summer I would swear that precipitation amounts would have to be at least 10mm and possibly as much as 20 or 30 mm over the course of a few days. As it is this is the most underwhelming cold winter spell compared to operational charts I can remember. I have dreamed of undercutting lows over a cold block for years: now they come and it is a damp squib so far.

Have you got a cold shield where you live Catacol????!!!

Posted

Well, well, well ... we have had light snow for the last hour here. Prob more flurries than anything. but a nice surprise before I hit the toboggan slopes of Painswick Beacon with my daughter. acute.gif

I wonder how much more west this system (over on the east side) will develop ?

Cheers !

John in Gloucester (Quedgeley - low down)

Posted

Have you got a cold shield where you live Catacol????!!!

It seems the area where we are did! I'm much the same, probably due to the fact that he is only a couple of miles from me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well,we had a Temperature and DP of -0.4C about 45 mins ago in Poole, now reading -0.8C and DP of -2.5C, Humidity @88%. Wasn't expecting that, could be an Ice day in Costa Del Poole today! Good Times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

One word sums that up.

DESPERATE.

You could get lucky yet and you would be very unlucky should you not see some more action over the coming days. Go find some elevation, play in the snow up there and watch the latest development come in from the East. clapping.gif

Yours truly, Mr positive gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Bbc changed again now! No snow for devon or Cornwall lol think this is a now cast situation again! Don't lose hope peeps

Talk about a rollercoaster! Hope it switches back soon. Frustrating to have this cold air around no ppn!

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Just below freezing here in Henley on Thames with light flakes falling and settling on cars, ground and snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Anyone know the chances of that front slidng down over devon?? Or is that wishful thinking??!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Still very light grains. -0.7

The radar does make for some interesting viewing http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Indeed.

And then this loop, which I find especially useful.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html