Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 10z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

thanks eded. Good to know so I can keep an eye for my parents.. From using this thread and keeping an eye on developments I did do their shopping online for them and bought some gritting salt! So they are prepared.smile.png thank you nw!

Not a problem - Im in the car on the way up to birmingham for my sisters birthday at the moment so can gibe reports the whole way up...actually i'll soon be out of the C S and SW England area so you'll all hate me ;(

Posted

Tuesday looking good! Meto have me for snow all day... Here we go again.. Hopes it becomes less marginal.. and Dorset and Somerset can get init.. As bit to marginal for comfort

Posted

khodds, on 20 January 2013 - 09:42 , said:

I have NW Extra radar ( couldn't be bothered to look at it earlier! ) and there is def more precip around on that than the meto one.... Don't think us Somerset folk will be lucky today somehow. Good luck to all you eastern counties

Doesn't look like we will, no!

Posted

The UKMO continues to suggest the risk of some noticeable snowfall IMO too;

post-12721-0-41211200-1358677657_thumb.jpost-12721-0-27520300-1358677664_thumb.j

Now this could be rain for southern costal counties and the far south west due to an Atlantic influence of less cold air, but its still looking like snow for inland and northern counties of the region;

post-12721-0-43229100-1358677758_thumb.jpost-12721-0-84940200-1358677765_thumb.j

You can see below, the winds back south easterly again;

post-12721-0-99813300-1358677800_thumb.jpost-12721-0-79335400-1358677808_thumb.j

Some interesting signs IMO for the next few days. Don't take each model run literally, as Ian has said on twitter, the models are having a tough time getting detail right on little features. I think some areas could have a surprise or two over the next 72 hours, the signs are there.

Morning mate, appreciate your posts. What do you think the chances are on Tuesdays snow event? i know we'll have a better idea tomorrow night but surely there's a decent chance now.

Posted

And one last repeat from the other thread from me. cold.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.metoffice...ry#?tab=fiveDay

BANK. IMBY. Another 9 hours of light snow to come I guess.

Currently snowing lightly, -1.7c AT, -2.4c DP, 996mb steady barometer trend, winds 10min avg 5mph from the NE.

A very tricky forecast for the week for the MetO this week. The cold pool is going nowhere fast in general and I don't expect much thawing of SNOW cover in my neighbourhood over the next four to five days. good.gif

Try your own location on the above link for your five day forecast from the Pros. acute.gif

So rain and 5C is the order for Tues, let's see shall we?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

well I should see some good sights this week,off to Sussex on Tuesday, then up to Leeds Tuesday afternoon, across to Manchester on Wednesday, I might have to go via Snake Pass, probably my favorite road in the UK, should be stunning if a clear day. Then back down to Poole, via Newton Abbot on Friday.

Posted

been snowing lightly since about 8 ish this morning started as snizzle which coated everything white again and now its snow lightly

Posted

that bristol channel streamer is gaining strength could be good for some parts of somerset locally today.

Light snow here in Swindon for the last 45 mins - You can see a light dusting in places that had no snow (under cars from people who've moved them today, ect) and the road that I live down is slowly turning white again. Temp is still -1.3, so I doubt there will be any melting occuring today.

Looking forward to the oppertunities thast Tuesdays front may bring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Lots of snow grains or freezing drizzle by definition falling here in Radstock making a tinkling sound on the conservatory roof. Can't say I' m at all surprised by the extension of the precipitation to the East towards our way. With pressure so low (996mbs) features can pop up at short notice giving some surprise snowfalls in areas that don't expect it. This is likely to continue for the next 3-4 days. Keep watching the radars they tell a true picture of the here and now. I bet the Met office are...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'll put this to the test then, traveling the country a good trip to Manchester and back will soon see.

Best go in one of these.

flying-car-1024x725.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Moderate to heavy Grauple snow here at the moment.

New layer of snow on the ground / pavements.

Posted

A few flakes in the wind here in n.dorset.

Still -1 so plenty cold enough.

Likewise a dusting in Shaftesbury as we speak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Morning mate, appreciate your posts. What do you think the chances are on Tuesdays snow event? i know we'll have a better idea tomorrow night but surely there's a decent chance now.

Hard to say mate. Tuesday is looking a tad more marginal than the recent snowfall. The further south and south west you are, the higher the likelihood of rain instead of snow.

The GFS and ECM handle it slightly differently too. So its probably best to wait until it gets into the range of the NAE and NMM before looking at it in too much detail.

The Met Office have me down for 9 hours of light snow on Tuesday, so the risk is obviously there. Just have to await further output on it before coming to more definitive observations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

OMG I have just seen a few snowflakes on the wind here, surley it will not snow properly this far SE, I am in shock.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
corrected to save us from misinformation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Ok I'm seeing snowflakes in the wind??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Barometer is falling slowly now at 995.8m from 996mb not many moments ago. This is becoming intriguing to watch. As Gibby suggests above, pay attention to the radars and these regionals as often as you can to check for latest snow reports, latest forecasts etc. I suspect the MetO will also be using these very forums so please make your observations as useful as you can. Any newcomers should be prompted to update their locations in their profile where at all possible. ph34r.png

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

To my eyes the front coming up from the south east is pivoting and now getting mighty close to Bristol. Fingers crossed for maybe a light covering today.

Posted

be interesting if the ppn comes farther west than planned .... As for Tuesday , how do we know it won't go the way of Monday and head into France...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Barometer is falling slowly now at 995.8m from 996mb not many moments ago. This is becoming intriguing to watch. As Gibby suggest above, get on the radars and these regionals as often as you can to check for on the latest snow reports, latest forecasts etc. I suspect the MetO will also be using these very forums so please make your observations as useful as you can. Any newcomers should be prompted to update their locations in their profile where at all possible. ph34r.png

Yes I suppose with pressure low , then ppn can develop out of nothing, ahead or seperate of main bands.

Getting heavier now, mist all around