Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

will this event be a weakish affair like we see on the radar down south just now or is there any scope for intensification while it heads north like the last front that affected the south west that started to intensify as it slowed

It does look pretty light snow over England just now but the stuff moving out of Holland looks heavier. I think that Friday's front intensified as it ran into the cold block to the east although thats not to say it wont intensify but maybe not for the same reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Has that front stalled? Doesn't appear to have moved at all since I looked a while ago.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

It does look pretty light snow over England just now but the stuff moving out of Holland looks heavier. I think that Friday's front intensified as it ran into the cold block to the east although thats not to say it wont intensify but maybe not for the same reason.

kind of hoping it will as it doesnt look very impressive down south hopefully it will as it slows up here or either that it fires up the north sea big time and drags a whole lot of moisture in on the wind

Has that front stalled? Doesn't appear to have moved at all since I looked a while ago.

it is still moving i think just really slowly

Posted

I'm still not convincved that any of the precipitation will arive here before later in the afternoon tomorrow at which stage trhere is a high chance unless you are inland with some elevation it will be anything other than a ciold sleety mess. I a few miles from the coast and further south will do rather well (parts of Angus, Perthshire and the Borders for example). Just my hunch - things are ominously marginal here and based on past experience marginal almost always ends up on the wrong side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I think that they expect it to intensify when it hits Northern England, at least that it is what it showed on weather for the week. It also looked to stay as snow. They also said that they expect warmer air to topple round the top into NI and Scotland by the weekend with cold foggy weather further South. Did not appear too confident with that part of the forecast.

Here today there have been light snow flurries all morning but not really amounting to anything.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

bbc weather just said there expecting very considerable snow amounts here 15-20 cms

Posted

Yes, the Met are being pretty bullish on the snow prospects for tomorrow, and I would be too if it wasn't for the GFS uppers profile. It has been known to be closer to the mark than the NAE/UKMO before so we can't disregard it yet, especially when a difference or only 1C or 2C would make all the difference for the likes of Edinburgh, Dundee, Kirkcaldy, Perth, Aberdeen. GFS is a sleet fest for all those locations except perhaps Perth, NAE gives snow for at least the more inland parts of all.

Yes, the 12z uppers from GFS, NAE etc will be interesting, suspect here i Embra we are right on the bubble, better further south and west into the city

Posted

Uppers getting progressively more marginal for anything other than cold rain/sleet on the coast tomorrow morning.

post-1217-0-31326900-1358684954_thumb.pn

Dew points look good however:

post-1217-0-98035900-1358684970_thumb.pn

But temps above freezing:

post-1217-0-90440100-1358684979_thumb.pn

Only time will tell!

Need Greenland blocking to get snow in the West of Scotland. Scandi blocking is hopeless, as so far has proven right. If we had joined in Friday's fun, which the models had predicted to happen only to be downgraded, then it would probably look less marginal. There isn't any snowcover to hold down the temperatures. Edited by Frozen Britain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The Norwegian website seems to think it will snow in Glasgow

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glasgow/

If it does I think it will just be very light and not amount to much, I am not sure?

Posted

Yes, the 12z uppers from GFS, NAE etc will be interesting, suspect here i Embra we are right on the bubble, better further south and west into the city

The ppn starts late tonight with more favourable conditions near the coast, but yes daytime tomorrow I'm thinking Corstorphine, Oxgangs, Liberton will be having fun. Not ruling out a surprise though!

Posted

hopefully they get it wrong like they always seem to do and it will be more like 30-35 cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

can't speak for all other east coasties but I've been through a few Embra wet snow events that might be similar to this one (stress might, subject to nowcasting)

remember one in particular, walking across north bridge through horizontal driving wet snow, the stuff that sticks to the the sides of walls and lamp-posts and then slides and drips. Never the purest of snow events these kinds but IF that's how it turns out, then I'll take it ! south side of the city would accumulate it regardless.

Posted

The Norwegian website seems to think it will snow in Glasgow

http://www.yr.no/pla...otland/Glasgow/

If it does I think it will just be very light and not amount to much, I am not sure?

Lucky you. My head tells me this is spot on: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Aberdeen/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

absolutely Shuggee, And I never complain about that... even from a Leith IMBY view, basically means If I want to see Embra snaw then I just hope on a local bus to wherever it is.

Case in point, just back in here with the youngster after the 2nd day of sledging on the Braids. Only 10-15 minutes in the car from here and I'm in a bloody natural snowbowl !

The ppn starts late tonight with more favourable conditions near the coast, but yes daytime tomorrow I'm thinking Corstorphine, Oxgangs, Liberton will be having fun. Not ruling out a surprise though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I reckon I'm right on the edge of it at Pollock, although being on the other side of Arthur's Seat probably helps avoid too much marginality!

Posted

Always interesting leading up to an event like this. Some good info on here today too. I'm hoping we'll be fine this end of town but been too many disappointments in the past to get excited yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Temp currently 2.2, but got down to -2.5 last night. Snawshields completely intact....I think they are indestructable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I work at Kilncraigs so may be taking the day off tomorrow!

Kilncraigs? I remember when it used to be a full on working factory! What a place it was and what a change to it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

With the predicted marginality, how do you think we will do in the likes of Lochgelly?

Kilncraigs? I remember when it used to be a full on working factory! What a place it was and what a change to it!

Theres still plenty of the old building in the rear, the old board room ir great with oak cladding on the walls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Ls,tempest or Blitzen..is Kelty considered "inland"? Prob silly question lol

Yep. It always snows in Kelty!biggrin.png