Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

Tomorrow is actually looking like it could be an all day event, and, as long as the uppers stay good, drop a massive amount of snow across most of the country.

As if by magic, and as called by a few of us yesterday, the Meto have put us into Amber Alert.

biggrin.png

edit - been trialling an app in the Android Store called "Rain Alarm" which sends notification of impending ppn and it's intensity, and I've got to say, so far this weekend, it's been bang on the money...

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Tomorrow is actually looking like it could be an all day event, and, as long as the uppers stay good, drop a massive amount of snow across most of the country.

As if by magic, and as called by a few of us yesterday, the Meto have put us into Amber Alert.

biggrin.png

edit - been trialling an app in the Android Store called "Rain Alarm" which sends notification of impending ppn and it's intensity, and I've got to say, so far this weekend, it's been bang on the money...

Our area could be in for a treat tomorrow! Wonder if the buses will be running for school tomorrow? drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Looks like Snaw shields will be failing all over the place tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Our area could be in for a treat tomorrow! Wonder if the buses will be running for school tomorrow? drinks.gif

I work at Kilncraigs so may be taking the day off tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Since I have no snow here I thought I would share some pics I took over the last few years when it did actually snow here wink.png

March 2006

post-13901-0-97047600-1358682593_thumb.j

post-13901-0-03717200-1358682598_thumb.j

Feb 2009

post-13901-0-98083100-1358682601_thumb.j

post-13901-0-57599200-1358682604_thumb.j

post-13901-0-09705200-1358682610_thumb.j

post-13901-0-56393900-1358682614_thumb.j

post-13901-0-62241600-1358682617_thumb.j

post-13901-0-14807300-1358682621_thumb.j

post-13901-0-68820300-1358682627_thumb.j

Dec 2010

post-13901-0-02475600-1358682633_thumb.j

post-13901-0-39627900-1358682653_thumb.j

post-13901-0-22820800-1358682656_thumb.j

post-13901-0-85192000-1358682659_thumb.j

post-13901-0-42837900-1358682662_thumb.j

post-13901-0-69868200-1358682664_thumb.j

I would do anything to get something like what is in these pics again smile.png

Posted

I work at Kilncraigs so may be taking the day off tomorrow!

Just down the road from me then! Not much of a thaw here yet, still 2cm lying from last night's showers.

Posted

Uppers getting progressively more marginal for anything other than cold rain/sleet on the coast tomorrow morning.

post-1217-0-31326900-1358684954_thumb.pn

Dew points look good however:

post-1217-0-98035900-1358684970_thumb.pn

But temps above freezing:

post-1217-0-90440100-1358684979_thumb.pn

Only time will tell!

Posted

currently quite steady #1 - Pishy Snizzle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I was getting a bit excited until I read Shuggee's post! Alas he is right tho' as those -10s sitting tantalizingly off shore just refuse to budge! It would have made things so much easier if they were sitting over us. Watch and wait shift coming up folks!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

really crossing everythin that cumbernauld and central see something. been infuriating to see the snow miss us at just about every turn. bbc tells us we will have light snow tomorrow, but as i was watching raintoday radar and meteoradar yesterday, both were conflicting at times - and neither were correct at all! so im kind of thinking its all going to fizzle out, so much potential but just not materialising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

That uppers forecast is infinitely better than what the GFS was showing yesterday though when it had a pocket of warmer uppers crossing the country around 6am Monday and now looks almost like the NAE. I would expect coastal marginality to be an issue, particularly, with that kind of profile but if it ends up more like the NAE shows then I would imagine most of us would see snow tomorrow.

Posted

I know this is quite a stupid question, but I'm never sure if my area is included under 'low-lying coastal areas'. It is low-lying, but it's not really coastal - more of a flood plain. Any help here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I was getting a bit excited until I read Shuggee's post! Alas he is right tho' as those -10s sitting tantalizingly off shore just refuse to budge! It would have made things so much easier if they were sitting over us. Watch and wait shift coming up folks!

Me too, Really hope the -10 air pushes forward enough to ensure us all Snow, just this once can we have some luck :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Oh dear, I am now seeing white things falling oot the sky but nothing is there! crazy.gif

Posted

I would expect a good dumping but a South Easterly wind isn't that good for us here, the front should however help organise the snow and help make it over the Pentlands. Could be an interesting next 3 rush hours as the snow lasts into Tuesday. SS and CMD will be snowed in!

Met forecast for Lothian, Borders and SW: :D :D

Tonight:

Some clear spells in evening, mostly in west with cloud thickening and winds strengthening through the night to bring outbreaks of snow. Some heavy and prolonged snow later in east, Minimum Temperature -2 °C.

Monday:

Possible disruption with strong easterly winds and outbreaks of snow, these heavy and persistent at times in east. Lighter, more patchy snow in west and mostly sleet over immediate coasts Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Additionally, it does look like a colder easterly will set in through Tuesday into Wednesday:

13012212_2000.gif

13012218_2006.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

As Soaring Hawk said, Helen Willetts on News24 seems confident that Eastern Scotland is in for 24hrs+ of snow. I like having someone to blame when it all goes wrong!laugh.png

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

will this event be a weakish affair like we see on the radar down south just now or is there any scope for intensification while it heads north like the last front that affected the south west that started to intensify as it slowed

Posted

hate to say it. but if you look at edinburgh currently where the snow has been melting on the north side is probably where it will be rain sleet. head to south edinburgh tomorow for snow

Posted

As Soaring Hawk said, Helen Willetts on News24 seems confident that Eastern Scotland is in for 24hrs+ of snow. I like having someone to blame when it all goes wrong!laugh.png

Yes, the Met are being pretty bullish on the snow prospects for tomorrow, and I would be too if it wasn't for the GFS uppers profile. It has been known to be closer to the mark than the NAE/UKMO before so we can't disregard it yet, especially when a difference or only 1C or 2C would make all the difference for the likes of Edinburgh, Dundee, Kirkcaldy, Perth, Aberdeen. GFS is a sleet fest for all those locations except perhaps Perth, NAE gives snow for at least the more inland parts of all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Edo is picking up all the snow showers today - travelling just North of the Tay right up and over Luncarty!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Yes, the Met are being pretty bullish on the snow prospects for tomorrow, and I would be too if it wasn't for the GFS uppers profile. It has been known to be closer to the mark than the NAE/UKMO before so we can't disregard it yet, especially when a difference or only 1C or 2C would make all the difference for the likes of Edinburgh, Dundee, Kirkcaldy, Perth, Aberdeen. GFS is a sleet fest for all those locations except perhaps Perth, NAE gives snow for at least the more inland parts of all.

I really hope we do get some Snow here :( stupid -10 air :p

Edited by Allyw12