Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

Snow flurries continue for me this morning but not amounting to anything other than a very light covering on the grass and the smallest ever drifts. As for tomorrows snow chances - its still on. After midnight the snow should reach the Scottish Borders and continue moving up the east coast. The main issue on this occasion will be marginality but if it can stay as snow it could get quite interesting as we go though tomorrow with relatively strong winds and some blowing snow especially on high ground. The snow is likely to affect a wider area and the wind direction would indicate that conditions across the Central Belt could get tricky (obviously all the caveats such as luck apply). I would think that the Met Office may extend the warning areas today and an amber may pop up for some.

Posted

Looks like many parts of the coastal strip will get wet rather than white tomorrow, according to the Met Office...

"Strong winds and snow affecting eastern Scotland and northeast England, although rain and sleet near eastern coasts. Rain, sleet and snow also affecting some southwestern parts. Fine elsewhere. Generally cold."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Inland with a bit of elevation could be a different matter though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning - still held onto the snow that fell last night. Hoping that the marginality issues don't affect the coast too much today :).

Sky this morning looks very promising for a wee flurry.

The chickens are refusing to come out - is this a sign? Chicken forecast for today.

Posted

Bit of a snow-pellet whiteout in Stirling just now - bitter cold....

Just seen the forecast on the beeb. It's all about the snow in the SE dontchaknow.

fool.gif

Posted

Morning - still held onto the snow that fell last night. Hoping that the marginality issues don't affect the coast too much today smile.png.

Sky this morning looks very promising for a wee flurry.

The chickens are refusing to come out - is this a sign? Chicken forecast for today.

morning all

after these last few days I'd tend to agree...but I can't help torturing myself and have we my hopes up! how does it compare to.last Monday? I walked to work in pouring rain that day, no hint of sleet or snow. by later on in the day it turned to snow, even down the docks.

edit- apologies snowy owl, was meant to quote the doc.

weather ttoday looks cold. been some wee flurries overnight.

Edited by thebigyin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

0.4c/-3.2c/E. Had a few light graupel? showers this morning falling onto a frozen surface. Something not quite right here so far. We appear to have had plenty falling but not really accumulating? Going to be really interesting overnight/Monday I think as to who gets what and where!

Posted

Just checking the radar as well - the MetO didnt forecast the band coming into the SE until later on today, but checking radar, it's already hitting the shires - clearly moving faster than progged...this I assume, is what we are expecting later on.

edit - interesting as well - the 528dam straddles the central belt tomorrow at 0900...interesting times ahead..

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

morning all

after these last few days I'd tend to agree...but I can't help torturing myself and have we my hopes up! how does it compare to.last Monday? I walked to work in pouring rain that day, no hint of sleet or snow. by later on in the day it turned to snow, even down the docks.

edit- apologies snowy owl, was meant to quote the doc.

weather ttoday looks cold. been some wee flurries overnight.

To be honest tomorrow it is very marginal for some eastern parts, more especially around E Fife for example http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/20/basis06/ukuk/prty/13012106_2006.gif

I am not convinced that we will get the proper precipitation until later, based on the NAE data http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/20/basis06/ukuk/prty/13012112_2006.gif

It looks like once again the Borders and inland areas up here could do well, and quite probable some Central Belt areas which have largely missed out so far. Lots for NE England too.

Overall, I am not holding my breath but would love a pleasant surprise.

Posted

I was very lucky to get a kindle fire for chronic. it's great, does all the iPad stuff too like browsing and apps. I'm used to the iPad tho and kindle in cc comparison is . bit rubbish at the other stuff. does the job tho. I also just had a minor panic after dropping it. repeated turn ons but no joy and blank screen...until I realised I was holding it the wrong way round and looking at the back. ah dear, the years may be catching up with me.

what am I rambling about- apologies off topic nonsense,

edit - chronic? that was meant to say Christmas. hard to type on them to!

Edited by thebigyin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

south of england -14 tomorrow morning at 6am rofl.gif they will grind to a halt... few boiler failures me thinks

13012106_2000.gif

Posted

Just checking the radar as well - the MetO didnt forecast the band coming into the SE until later on today, but checking radar, it's already hitting the shires - clearly moving faster than progged...this I assume, is what we are expecting later on.

edit - interesting as well - the 528dam straddles the central belt tomorrow at 0900...interesting times ahead..

At the rate it's going it will be here early evening. Can only assume that it will slow as it moves North.

Ochils did well last night, as it was a bit patchy yesterday on lower slopes, but all white now. Not a lot here, still just a dusting.

Posted

At the rate it's going it will be here early evening. Can only assume that it will slow as it moves North.

Ochils did well last night, as it was a bit patchy yesterday on lower slopes, but all white now. Not a lot here, still just a dusting.

As long as it hits us "after dark", I aint too fussed :p

I'm going to turn into a vampire at this rate ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

How marginal is it here, as in a Se'ly Embra isn't on the coast as it were, what do the uppers, DPs look like?

dew point ok13012109_2006.gif

13012109_2006.gif

uppers probably ok

13012109_2000.gif

2m temp could be doing with being a degree or so cooler but as long as uppers and dew stay well on the favourable side then hopefully ok

Posted

Morning, hovering around 0c here this morning and no snow lost. Slight flurry has covered the clear path overnight, but nothing to shout about. Will be interesting to see how quickly the band in the SE is moving and how quickly it arrives with us, perhaps I'll see some action tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Most seem happy so far in the South East? Some saying that it is the dry powdery type which is falling. Still showery here as every now and then I here it hitting the conservatory roof and thinking it is rain. No panic tho' it's hail. Must be warmer air aloft then?

That front down south is really motoring is it not?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Very lightest of snow flurries here.

-1.1 C, DP = -2.2 C.

Couple of extra cms from yesterday evening/overnight.

Tomorrow morning could be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Good morning temp currently -0.2/-4.0

I really hope we all get some Snow from this front later today/tommorow, But I wish we could just have a snow event without worrying all time about the temperture :(

Posted

'mon oor snaw

No !!!

Slow Down...slow down....

edit - When's Mondy being reincarnated ?

edit edit - this is becoming a bugbear now - Thomas Shavanananananazkaky has just delivered his latest ponderings, and, at no point in it, did he make use of the word "Scotland". "Northern UK" blah. I may be being overly sensitive, but my "YES" vote is gradually gathering momentum.

Edited by GraemeB