Cold?
IGNORED

London and South East Regional Discussion - Part 565

Paul Sherman

Posted

Here you go you snow nutters.

Good luck with tomorrows Snow and fun!

Old Thread Below for anyone who wants to catch up

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75646-london-south-east-regional-discussion-january-19th-2013/

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted

east hopefully

Posted

Can I "come out" in the London & South East thread?

I moved here specifically to increase my chances of snow in the winter. I was born and brought up near Portsmouth and rarely saw good snow events but was lucky to live near a lamppost, one of those garish Orange ones that councils loved in the 80s. They were hi-tech, they had a light sensor on top and switched on, initially red, when the light deteriorated.

I lived in central London for years but always got frustrated when cold spells rarely resulted in decent snow, and yet 20 miles to the South East were finding roads blocked and trains cancelled.

I remember an Ian Mcgaskill weather forecast in the early 80s referring to Kent. I was living near Portsmouth, where it was drizzling, and he referred to "snowing like billyho" down in Kent, off a strong easterly. Definition as below:

billyo - an unimaginably large amount; "British say `it rained like billyo' where Americans say `it rained like all get out'"

I need to live near London for my job, but I tried to select the optimum place to increase my snow chances. Persuading my wife to move here was a long-term project that involved descriptions of country walks, dog walking and fresh air. She doesn't know the real reason, and I hope she never will.

Can you snow lovers keep this secret?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Further East I'd guess this system will go for me. Looking at the radar

http://europa.buienradar.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=7&lat=50.4888&lon=4.4192

Although winds are favorable for it too move further west, I think Brighton northwards too East London will be the fine line, and the heaviest of the snow in the North Sea. Maybe East Anglia will end up better from this next lot of snow.

Wouldn't be surprised if snowfall level totals are rather overcooked.

Posted

I moved here specifically to increase my chances of snow in the winter. I was born and brought up near Portsmouth and rarely saw good snow events but was lucky to live near a lamppost, one of those garish Orange ones that councils loved in the 80s. They were hi-tech, they had a light sensor on top and switched on, initially red, when the light deteriorated.

I lived in central London for years but always got frustrated when cold spells rarely resulted in decent snow, and yet 20 miles to the South East were finding roads blocked and trains cancelled.

I remember an Ian Mcgaskill weather forecast in the early 80s referring to Kent. I was living near Portsmouth, where it was drizzling, and he referred to "snowing like billyho" down in Kent, off a strong easterly. Definition as below:

billyo - an unimaginably large amount; "British say `it rained like billyo' where Americans say `it rained like all get out'"

I need to live near London for my job, but I tried to select the optimum place to increase my snow chances. Persuading my wife to move here was a long-term project that involved descriptions of country walks, dog walking and fresh air. She doesn't know the real reason, and I hope she never will.

Brilliant! I have considered Canada in my old age for the snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

lol

Love it mate

I'm the same my Missus keeps saying she wants to move to the south coast

I keep saying if we move to a beach it would take that special weekend trip feeling away

But what I meant to say is noooooooo

Marginality always creeps in sooner in winter lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

TheGate - that is crazy, funny and understandable all at once! Hope u get your life's dream tomorrow!x

Posted

I now live somewhere that is mostly dark, but I have a powerful security lamp that has to be situated by the back door.

I thin you understand why.....?

Posted

I'm sure many of us on here have thought wistfully about moving to snowier climes!..I for one miss being a little nearer to the true suburbs rather than zone 3 in London...just a few miles and I can notice the difference in temps and longevity of lying snow and it annoys me! So I definitely empathise with you!

Posted

I am predicting it will keep going NE into Germany and miss us all completely.

You do know that wont go down well in hereacute.gif

temp -0.3c

Edited by hopeitsnows

Posted

I am predicting it will keep going NE into Germany and miss us all completely.

LOL...im with you mate...didnt dare say that first thoughsmile.png

Posted
Posted

Have a few thoughts myself and one for the ladies!

Snow is like a Mans Genitals

1. Its Measured in Inches

2. Its soft to the touch

3. It comes when you least expect it!

4. It never gets as deep as you would like it!

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

To The Gate-Fantastic piece just now-Tried to convince the wife to move upto Knockholt(not far from you!) which is just over 600ft asl and always has more snow when things are marginal.Ended up in Petts Wood/locksbottom borders which is about 260ft asl!!.Case in point was last Monday when we had sleet, Knockholt had snow.Oh well,win some you lose some!!

Posted

2. Its soft to the touch

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

LOL Only a Mod can get away with thatlaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

2. Its soft to the touch

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

haha, very good Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

http://www.hispanica...lobal RSS Feed)

if you want cold move to mexico cc_confused.gif

Blimey JP not good. I think its safer here.

174248Z_21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_PROG-STANDARD_13012012.GIF

174248Z_21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_PROG-STANDARD_13012018.GIF

Posted

To The Gate-Fantastic piece just now-Tried to convince the wife to move upto Knockholt(not far from you!) which is just over 600ft asl and always has more snow when things are marginal.Ended up in Petts Wood/locksbottom borders which is about 260ft asl!!.Case in point was last Monday when we had sleet, Knockholt had snow.Oh well,win some you lose some!!

Agreed, we end up 2-3c colder than central London all year round but it's worth it. We moved here in June 2010 and then we got hit in December 2010, I could not believe my luck! Having said that, we will probably not see another Dec 2010 for many years, we were really in the sweet spot then.

Posted

2. Its soft to the touch

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

oh I say...(in a dot cotton voice).......... that made me blush...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

2. Its soft to the touch

air_kiss.gifgood.gif

That's naughty...........!!!!!!!!!!!