Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Light snow on and off since 6.30 in aycliffe. lovely covering (perfect snow for snowmen) What's everyone's feelings about how far inland those big showers off the coast might get? All I need is a blizzard to make this event complete!

Posted

Are colder uppers coming through later in the day not enjoying this sleet on the coast, hopefully be all sonw at home in cramlington

It's snow grains here, so it's certainly more marginal... Monday and Tuesday looking like a sleet/rain event in the main I think too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Are colder uppers coming through later in the day not enjoying this sleet on the coast, hopefully be all sonw at home in cramlington

Its +0.4c here. Possible colder air arriving later today.

Posted

The showers out to see look like pushing right through east to west just hoping more develop behind them or it will be dry by mid morning

Posted

What is necessary for these snow grains to start falling as proper snowflakes?? I'm completely clueless on this.

Posted

Feeling really homesick now. Wife has just rang to say she can't get to work as taxis in consett have been taken off roads. Meanwhile I'm lancashire in some really light sleety stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Cant believe how much melt there has been overnight, (in some places anyway) on top of the wall in the back garden is about a 1/4 of what it was when i went to bed, although front wall is just the same as last night there abouts. Current temp 1.4c, dp 1.3c

Posted

From matt hugos blog

Friday 18 January, 3:15pm

Remaining cold this weekend – further wintry precipitation

The cold and wintry conditions are set to continue, as I have been highlighting in previous blogs and whilst there is likely to be a window of quieter weather for most on Saturday there is now a growing risk of yet further wintry precipitation developing later on Sunday and into the new working week.

At this stage there are some uncertainties over which areas are at greatest risk as the weather patterns that are expected to bring this renewed risk of rain, sleet and snow are complex. However, latest forecast model data and thinking is that a weather front, in association with an area of low pressure to the south or southeast of the UK, is forecast to move north and west into central and eastern areas of England in particular later on Sunday and overnight into Monday.

Precipitation is likely to fall as rain or sleet at lower levels (coasts and below 100–150m) in eastern England but further inland and especially above 200m then further snowfall is expected across parts of Eastern England.

I have highlighted, on the forecast map which areas I believe are at greatest risk of snowfall in red and a lower risk across the yellow areas. At the moment snowfall amounts are likely to range between 2cm and 5cm within the red areas, but locally heavier bursts of precipitation cannot be ruled out and this may result in snowfall totals across parts of Yorkshire and the Pennines for example reaching up to 10cm.

The timing of this event may well coincide with the Monday morning rush hour across eastern areas of the UK and as a result some travel disruption may be possible.

Matt Hugo, Meteorologist

The red area goes right up east coast including all of north east.

Heavy snow here now

Posted

Heavy shower in Hexham. Last night was the first real snow we've had.

Posted

Yeah those minus 10 uppers edge there way closer to the east coast throughout the day so hopefully things will turn less marginal on the coast, I'm off to find a hill to gain sledging!

Posted

Light snow again here in Darlington

Air temp - 1.3°C

Dew Point -1.8°C

You've really kept the cold down there! :)

0.3°C DP -0.4°C

Alternating between flakes and grains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think it's the thicknesses which are the problem, and these are even less favourable as the day goes on. The dusting has partly melted here in Keswick, although we are getting flurries again this morning.

Posted

I think it's the thicknesses which are the problem, and these are even less favourable as the day goes on. The dusting has partly melted here in Keswick, although we are getting flurries again this morning.

Over the last few hours the snow has gone from small grainy stuff to small flakes, it looks like its getting better, not worse.