Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days up north...

Link to the previous one here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75619-far-north-of-england-regional-discussion-cold-and-snow-170113/page__st__820

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had a small topup of snow here in Peterlee. Does not look like we had any rain or sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Posted this in the Yorkshire thread but I feel that the following is also relevant to your region:

A large discrepancy in the 850hPa temperatures for our region from the GFS vs. the other models for Monday to Wednesday. GFS has the -5C 850hPa line frequently get as far north as us which would turn precipitation to a wintry mix at low levels by Tuesday, even inland, with mainly rain near the east coast. However the other models all have the -5C 850hPa line confined to the far south of England, which would mean wintry mixes confined to east-facing coastal fringes with snow elsewhere. Worth keeping an eye on, as the GFS is often better than UKMO/ECMWF at handling pools of warmer air in these situations, but it is probably being too progressive in pushing warmer air northwards, so the actual outcome will probably be somewhere in between.

From now through to Sunday evening any precipitation should remain as snow except perhaps along extreme coastal fringes bordering the North Sea.

Posted

I think anyone who gets snow from now on in really should make the most of it, looks like clouds will become stratuscumulus and therefore shower actvity will die out until perhaps tomorrow night when we may get a slighty more Easterly maybe even an ENE'ly tilt to the winds, unless of course the sheet of stratuscumulus clouds start turning cumulus again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I have had texts saying 5 inches, 6 inches, a foot, and half a metre of snow fell is evening in Newcastle. I have a sneaky feeling they weren't very scientific!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Have noticed that the icicles have started to drip

Posted

chucking it down again, looks short lived according to radar, braved the cold 1/2 hour ago with tapemeasure and was 6.1/2" deep on garden table(yes in my jim jams and slippers mad). blowing around quite a bit but no sign of melting yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just as thought it as all over.... Heavy snow here, intensity 8/10. Just measured depth at approx. 8" (I only could find a 6" ruler which got buried). As I mentioned yesterday the cold feed has never been that low, so when the winds turn more E we are in a marginal situation. On the model thread someone mentioned feb 1991 as a comparison, but we are far from that. I recall a very deep cold pool to the east which made the 6'oclock news 2 weeks before it hit the UK. In that feed 'marginal' was replaced with powder snow. We have not had a cold feed as deep as that since...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

temp gone down from 0,8 to 0.7 n there looks a bit more snow coming in for teesside and darlo

Edited by boro snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think anyone who gets snow from now on in really should make the most of it, looks like clouds will become stratuscumulus and therefore shower actvity will die out until perhaps tomorrow night when we may get a slighty more Easterly maybe even an ENE'ly tilt to the winds, unless of course the sheet of stratuscumulus clouds start turning cumulus again.

I don't think this will really be true for NE England/Yorkshire- the GFS precipitation outputs suggest a steady stream of showers heading in off the sea and there's still a fair amount of showery activity out there on the radar- plus the winds are still in the process of backing easterly. From Lincolnshire southwards, though, I can certainly see the easterly being mainly of the dry cloudy type.

On the other hand it probably won't be a full-on "sunshine and snow showers" easterly to the extent that we had in late November/early December 2010. In my opinion we can expect some quiet interludes with a lot of stratocumulus, interspersed with brighter showery interludes where the clouds turn back mainly to cumulus and the occasional cumulonimbus- I've seen quite a number of easterlies see-saw between the two types over the years and this will probably be another one.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Off to bed now. A memorable day here with 6" of snow falling from 2-8pm. Potential for more is high.........I bet the Alnwick area got 12". can anyone confirm?

Posted

3Frcxbj.png

I'm liking this graphic on netweathers homepage :D We are very lucky to be in a position to get thundersnow.

Posted

Just drove home in mates 4x4 and was snowing moderate all the way. About 3 inches in low prudhoe and about 10inches all togeather at home now. Looks like a few more showers merging on the radar for us all. Home tomorrow bring us all more snow and an ice day.

Posted

Looking at the radar, could be a day of heavier snow showers for the north of the region and flurries to the south. Just had a very light snow shower in Boro.

Feels much milder than it has lately as well.

Posted

Just got called into work for a boiler breakdown in Cramlington, roads not the best. Frequent heavy snow showers, radar looking packed....not sure if i'll make it home cray.gif

Posted

Last nights six inches has dropped to around two on the coast at tynemouth! How is it looking a little further inland?

Posted

I'm just off the 'Billy Mill roundabout' and we have lost a few inches too! Although it is now starting to snow once again, thank the heavens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Yes its canny heavy here in consett radar looking good too.

Posted

Are colder uppers coming through later in the day not enjoying this sleet on the coast, hopefully be all sonw at home in cramlington