Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the North West.....

Link to the previous one here:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

We only had 5cm in 2010 Dave, wind was too westerly and the snow showers literally stopped 15 miles north of my house.

Anyway here's the quote from that guy..

''Just been out shovelling snow off my drive and, as much as I hate to be one of "those" people, that is some very deep snow. Cheshire has never seen anything like it, I swear''

Posted

And I thought we did bad for snow! Every winter well always get at least a couple of decent falls.

Maybe on the top of Billinge hill!

Where was that photo taken Brass Monkey.

Over on the 3 sisters, always a nice walk in the snow :)

Posted

In reply to Ian on other thread.....I remember the Nov 2005 event but don't remember depths being as much as this. Dec 28th? 2000 runs it close though

Posted

We only had 5cm in 2010 Dave, wind was too westerly and the snow showers literally stopped 15 miles north of my house.

Anyway here's the quote from that guy..

''Just been out shovelling snow off my drive and, as much as I hate to be one of "those" people, that is some very deep snow. Cheshire has never seen anything like it, I swear''

I well recall the famous 1991 blizzard. I was a van driver at the time & stoke was buried on the Saturday. I remember how amazed I was when I spoke to my sister in the afternoon, who said she was just off from Sandbach to Asda in Crewe to do some shopping! True enough, when we could get back on the road on Tuesday, I was on my normal route around South Cheshire & the snow just disappeared as you got down Kidsgrove bank! Even toward Macc & Congleton there was just a slight amount. The difference between 2 places just 2 miles apart like Goldenhill & Scholar Green is amazing!

Posted

In reply to Ian on other thread.....I remember the Nov 2005 event but don't remember depths being as much as this. Dec 28th? 2000 runs it close though

4 inches or so Dec 2000.

Posted

Check these pics out from nearby Stoke...

Looks to be a foot of snow there. Non event? Don't think so

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

And that's what we wish we got

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snow stopped in Cumbria now, just a dusting.

Edited by Alza

Posted

Apart from when I lived in Germany, Dec December 2010 was by far the largest snowfall I've seen in the northwest. Lived in Cheltenham previously never saw a flake for 5 years.

Posted

Looks to be a foot of snow there. Non event? Don't think so

nice drifts good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Heat & Thunderstorms Winter - Cold & Snowfall!

Lightly snowing in Macclesfield at the moment, Around 6 / 7cm level snow so not too bad!!! Nothing like 1st Dec 2010 though but good enough for our first half decent dumping. I am hopeful of some top-up over the weekend! tease.gifgood.gif

Posted

Lightly snowing in Macclesfield at the moment, Around 6 / 7cm level snow so not too bad!!! Nothing like 1st Dec 2010 though but good enough for our first half decent dumping. I am hopeful of some top-up over the weekend! tease.gifgood.gif

We need a sharpish push west of that precipitation pushing up on Sunday

Posted

1996 and 2010 are by far the best falls of snow for this area in recent years. Today's snow was some way down on those totals. Still, even at around 7cm well in the top ten since '96!

Night all, got to be fit and ready for building Snowmen in the morn :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Heat & Thunderstorms Winter - Cold & Snowfall!

We need a sharpish push west of that precipitation pushing up on Sunday

The GFS 18z PPN chart shows fairly heavy snow from 15.00 on sunday but would be better for a westward shift - looking decent from what I can see! drinks.gif

Posted

The GFS 18z PPN chart shows fairly heavy snow from 15.00 on sunday but would be better for a westward shift - looking decent from what I can see! drinks.gif

I face 2 issues here. Keeping today's snow cover (not easy on low ground, temps of 1 or 2C will melt it) and the second issue is getting accumulating snow on Sun. Even 2cm would be nice on top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Going to have a drive to the beach tomorrow and see the snow on IOM, looks like they got easily 15cm on Snaefell.

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The temperatures are worrying me right now, we're up to -0.2C from the earlier temperature of -2.0C.. day time temps aren't worrying me tomorrow as it'll be cloudy all day with ground temperatures well below freezing... hopefully the temperature will start to drop off a little soon.

1996 and 2010 are by far the best falls of snow for this area in recent years. Today's snow was some way down on those totals. Still, even at around 7cm well in the top ten since '96!

Night all, got to be fit and ready for building Snowmen in the morn smile.png

Over in the west near Chester, we had far greater snow depths in '96 than 2010 (or any other snowfall I can remember). Had to flag down assistance to clear our cul-de-sac of snow.

We had around 4cm today which wasn't too bad considering we weren't 100% sure that we would have any 24 hours ago. Wondering if we will have some more on Monday now.

Posted

The temperatures are worrying me right now, we're up to -0.2C from the earlier temperature of -2.0C.. day time temps aren't worrying me tomorrow as it'll be cloudy all day with ground temperatures well below freezing... hopefully the temperature will start to drop off a little soon.

Yes our temp has gone up too from -2 earlier to -0.6. No idea why.