Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire...

Link to the previous one here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75624-yorkshire-lincolnshire-regional-discussion-january-18th-2013/page__st__980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The snow skirted around Sandhutton for most of today- indeed I had a capture from the N-W radar about a couple of hours ago which showed a small oval-shaped area centred on my location with less than 1mm of snow. However some of the heavier stuff has hit here in the last couple of hours and I have about 2-3cm of fresh snow on all surfaces, producing an aggregate of 4cm on the grass. Nothing spectacular but of course scope for more top-ups in the upcoming days, with a stream of snow showers likely off the North Sea tomorrow and to a lesser extent on Sunday.

Slightly warmer air is moving in off the North Sea- the temperature was below zero until less than half an hour ago but is now up at 0.1C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Rob if you look between say newcastle and glasgow on the radar you will see convection at its best moving up on a south east wind.the wind orientation is nothing like that over yorkshire ete.The pull over is not pulling in moisure and is thinning out.an easterly with the rite 850s would be direct from the east coast and bring in great heavy snow showers instead of thin light pellet style snow.This is in all purposes drizzle in snow form.If you nip on the met office rainfall radar this will show what i mean,look at the shower diff between us and whats moving in to scotland and the far north east of the uk.

Edited by swfc

Posted

The snow should return any minute now looking at the radarclapping.gif

Should be alright i think. Temp now 1.3C but dew point -0.8C with another decent shower just blown through. I can't see Monday producing anything other than sleet at the best on the coast.

I'd rather it be dry and keep this fantastic snowcover! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just been outside and measured 8 - 9cm on my garden and 3 - 4cm on my path.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Easterley directionish blum.gif

Sounds like a displaced easterly to me

Posted

Should be alright i think. Temp now 1.3C but dew point -0.8C with another decent shower just blown through. I can't see Monday producing anything other than sleet at the best on the coast.

I'd rather it be dry and keep this fantastic snowcover! smile.png

How much snowcover have you currently got and how well did you do from last mondays event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Not due to become a proper easterly till early hours, between midnight and 3am!

Posted

Well after 8 hours plus of snow and more to come tonight and over the weekend into next week

I have hit the magical level of 2" or 5cm or 50mm whichever you prefer

Possibly another hour or two to come

Temps are up to -0.1oc from -0.9oC since it started

As far as I can see the snow is pushing West to North West and not much is coming out of the North Sea to effect us but may continue coming from the South Coast as that spins and continues going North west

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A large discrepancy in the 850hPa temperatures for our region from the GFS vs. the other models for Monday to Wednesday. GFS has the -5C 850hPa line frequently get as far north as us which would turn precipitation to a wintry mix at low levels by Tuesday, even inland, with mainly rain near the east coast. However the other models all have the -5C 850hPa line confined to the far south of England, which would mean wintry mixes confined to east-facing coastal fringes with snow elsewhere. Worth keeping an eye on, as the GFS is often better than UKMO/ECMWF at handling pools of warmer air in these situations, but it is probably being too progressive in pushing warmer air northwards, so the actual outcome will probably be somewhere in between.

From now through to Sunday evening any precipitation should remain as snow except perhaps along extreme coastal fringes bordering the North Sea.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I'd rather it be dry and keep this fantastic snowcover! :)

you guys have had a cracking day with the convection set up never mind these fronts moving in from the south west

Posted

Sat in moortown leeds in my Gritter and cuming down like a good one may be plow on ??? Wot time is it going to stop

Posted

Well after 8 hours plus of snow and more to come tonight and over the weekend into next week

As far as I can see the snow is pushing West to North West and not much is coming out of the North Sea to effect us but may continue coming from the South Coast as that spins and continues going North west

8 hours and 50 mm ?.phew i admire your dedication my friend and tolerance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Absolutely fantastic here tonight!! Deep snow :)

Posted

the only down side is the precipitation moving up from the south coast is that it will have very little moisture left as it is travelling long track across land.If you go on the met office rainfall radar you will see how light it is across our regions.The long fetch is a killer and a good example is how scarboro has got battered with short fetch convective showers

Posted

Final post of the night. Still snowing as we enter the 11th hour.

Of the 18Z GEFS ensembles, only 4 (of 22) do not give West Yorkshire (sorry for the my-back-yard-ish post) a significant snow event Monday-Tuesday. Within the 18 runs, anything from 4/5-14/15cms possible.

Good luck all tonight, maybe we can add a cm or two over this way!

Edited by ITSY

Posted

A large discrepancy in the 850hPa temperatures for our region from the GFS vs. the other models for Monday to Wednesday. GFS has the -5C 850hPa line frequently get as far north as us which would turn precipitation to a wintry mix at low levels by Tuesday, even inland, with mainly rain near the east coast. However the other models all have the -5C 850hPa line confined to the far south of England, which would mean wintry mixes confined to east-facing coastal fringes with snow elsewhere. Worth keeping an eye on, as the GFS is often better than UKMO/ECMWF at handling pools of warmer air in these situations, but it is probably being too progressive in pushing warmer air northwards, so the actual outcome will probably be somewhere in between.

From now through to Sunday evening any precipitation should remain as snow except perhaps along extreme coastal fringes bordering the North Sea.

So your saying the our SSW induced cold spell is ending ?

Edited by allenar

Posted

How much snowcover have you currently got and how well did you do from last mondays event?

Monday was fantastic here. The front stalled over us and gave us continuous snow from 11am to 9pm. We got around 10cm's. Last couple of days we had a slight thaw in places exposed to sun and last night we had about 5-6cm's still on the ground. We've had a further 12cm's today and it's still coming down. We sat under that streamer for the majority of the afternoon.

I'm guilty of winging a bit in the past as coastal marginality has gone against us so this last week has been epic! We've done better for snowfall this week than 2010 when the majority was marginal here on the coast.

I'm just hoping we keep this snowcover tomorrow so i can go get some photos before a thaw kicks in!

How much have you got there?

Posted

Think my heaviest snow is about to push in from just north east of here, then I reckon that will be me lot.

Absolutely fantastic here tonight!! Deep snow smile.png

Hope you have learnt a lesson from this and don't moan like hell next time ya think ya not gunna get any snow ; )

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

as ive been saying all night the wind has now turned more easterly by midnight and now the showers will start :)