Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do you love snow ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I was trying to explain to my partner why I do. She cant stand it and doesn't understand my fasination. She wants Spring to arrive now and would be happy if all the snow went away now (having her looked at tomorrow friends.gif )

Loved it since I was a kid never grew out of it. e.g Jan 79

Lamp post watched at 4am in my 20s and 30s in the milder 90s 00's

Dont like driving in it but..

I guess as its still fairly 'rare' might have something to do with it, not sure how I would be if we had snow 4 months of the year.

But snow has a blanket calming effect its always fascinated me.

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Snow 4 month of the year would be horrific, but I suppose we would adapt , To be honest even though I take an interest in weather, I get bored of snow quick ,its fun watching a blizzard but I hate in when it sticks around for days, I am bored of the grey and white monotonous scenes already after one day, I want my colours back. I think it be be a week or two yet.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I am a strange fellow - I have always loved the snow and a good fall, especially of the dry powdery stuff still gets me excited, yet at the same time I hate being cold.

I remember when I were't lad in north Lincolnshire when the wind started to increase during the afternoon then after a little while it started to snow and it's intensity increased as the day wore on - so much so, that in the middle of the night I put on my slippers, then my dressing gown over my panjams and went outside so that I could experience it in all its glory and watch the the snow drifts taking shape in the wind. Funny enough I don't recall feeling cold on that occasion but the following morning I was a little disappointed to see it must have abated shortly after I went back to bed, after a fall of say, some 8 or 9 cms.

On the other hand I think the snow of '63 lasted just about long enough and it was great whilst it lasted but come March one's thoughts tend to go towards the anticipation of spring.

If it weren't for the occasional snow fall such as we had today I would happily hibernate through the winter months. I hate dark gloomy weather but the snow makes things lighter.

I don't think that the enjoyment of snow is confined to us humans - when we had dogs I could see that they absolutely loved going for walks in the snow, especially if it was somewhat deep and went 'ape' running through the drifts smile.png

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

I suppose on one level it is purely the visually transformative effect it has but there is certainly more to it....I'll have to mull this over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Snow 4 month of the year would be horrific, but I suppose we would adapt , To be honest even though I take an interest in weather, I get bored of snow quick ,its fun watching a blizzard but I hate in when it sticks around for days, I am bored of the grey and white monotonous scenes already after one day, I want my colours back. I think it be be a week or two yet.

Welcome to my world! in fact 6 months of snow on the ground isnt unusual..it just becomes the norm like rain in the UK is you just take no notice of it anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Welcome to my world! in fact 6 months of snow on the ground isnt unusual..it just becomes the norm like rain in the UK is you just take no notice of it anymore.

Correct me if I am wrong because I have never lived in a climate with cold continental winters but I get the impression that though cold they are much drier most of the time and the human body is able to withstand dry cold and dry heat more easily than damp cold and humid heat.

The only thing I can relate to is when I have been out on a dry calm sunny day with a temperature of -5C it does feel relatively comfortable, whereas going out on a wet day with high humidity, it can feel cold enough to freeze your proverbials off.

Posted

Yep, at high altitudes in France I don't get excited by 10-20cm of snow because it's snow, it just means better skiing. If I were to see this:

6560546619_7e9f2ea258_o.jpg

then this:

6648719841_7072d5d3f1_o.jpg

and then this:

6648719317_78df877015_o.jpg

...in the UK then I would be far more astonished.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

So many factors:

Snow itself...

The magical way in which it falls, fluttering to the ground.

The way it transforms everything around you and hides impurities under a white blanket

The fun you can have in it.

Then secondary factors,

the need to keep yourself warm

The way many people seems so cheerful

and also the perceived lack of it when I was a kid. It seemed to be promised but would hardly materialise, so when it does come it is an event.

As I haven't had any this time makes me want it even more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

The "quietness" of it................

Posted

It takes about a week for me to get like this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

• The way that when it lies, it changes the the way everything looks
  • Associated recreational activities (e.g. building snowmen, snowball fights, sledging)
  • The effects when it is falling (e.g. sharp changes in visibility).
  • It makes many adults feel less of a need to act "grown-up"- it's not unusual to see adults playing in the snow with as much enthusiasm as kids.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It takes about a week for me to get like this.

Already I want snow tomorrow (we have loads here) but not enough to hit the roads too badily re my drive to the station for work on monday.

If we had perfect road travel maybe 2/3 months ? then maybe i would miss the green and weeds ?

Posted

Many reasons -

It covers up grey landscapes and can transform urban landscapes into landscapes of real beauty. Historic buildings in particular can look extra special when coated in snow.

It can be enjoyed in so many ways, sledging, skiing, snowboarding, snowball fights, igloo and snowman building.

It transforms green landscapes into ones of sheer beauty, the fells in particular look extra magnificent in a coating of snow.

It transforms landscapes particularly urban ones into a quiet oasis, muffling the sound of traffic and general noise.

It sparkles and is mesmerising when it falls.

It instills feelings of wonderful childhood days - I think this is one of the key reasons why adults like snow as it makes us feel like children again. It is so cosy...

I could go on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Many reasons -

It covers up grey landscapes and can transform urban landscapes into landscapes of real beauty. Historic buildings in particular can look extra special when coated in snow.

It can be enjoyed in so many ways, sledging, skiing, snowboarding, snowball fights, igloo and snowman building.

It transforms green landscapes into ones of sheer beauty, the fells in particular look extra magnificent in a coating of snow.

It transforms landscapes particularly urban ones into a quiet oasis, muffling the sound of traffic and general noise.

It instills feelings of wonderful childhood days - I think this is one of the key reasons why adults like snow as it makes us feel like children again. It is so cosy...

I could go on...

made me think of this pic i took back in 2010. The Graffiti contrasted against the snow.

gallery_17991_1226_645333.jpg

Posted

snow is awsome!

If it happenned all the time maybe it wouldn't be that special, but as it is instead of january being the worst month of the year it can turn out to be one of the best.

Happy days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

i was born at end of jan it always snowed on my birthday and we all went sledging.then as i got older it was bikes in snow then motorbikes tractors and cars ,fun getting stuck ,love it.if it wasnt for the cold and snow we wouldnt appreciate lovely sunny summer days .all 6 0f them!!!

Posted

I honestly don't think I would get sick of 6 months of snow in winter as the summer months would be snow free so that would be sufficent absense from it.I would like the more contrasting defined seasonal weather of a more continental climate,lovely.With white snow and frost beautifying the landscape this would be ample medicine for the lack of sun and cold unlike the grey dross of 70% of what we get.

Edited by greybing

Posted

Maybe because my first winter was 62/63 it must have entered my subconscious as a baby and programmed me to love it, unfortunately it also means that unless it appears by the metre rather than centimetre I feel let down and bored with it after a couple of days.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

One of the main reasons i love snow is the novelty factor,if i had snow for a few months of the year every year. i probably would not have as much interest in it. I love the way it can turn the most drab of places into something alot more pretty,i suppose its natures version of make up lol. When there is a blanket of snow i almost feel guilty when waliking on snow that is untouched so i rarely for example go outside my back garden when we have a blanket of snow as i like to keep the back garden snow blanket pristine. There is also that certain innocence about snow.

Posted

Many reasons -

I could go on...

Well i suppose you are right from a certain point of view

But

Then it melts and then its my god the floods

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

In the words of my son - 'it's like Christmas isn't it mummy'. It does bring out the inner child :-)

It also lifts my mood to see everything bright white and the roads are quiet as the cars edge along at a sensible speed.

Just lovely :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Extreme conditions.

Disruption I have to say- it's nice to see society adapt to something that is one of Earth's phenomena!

Blanket of it makes anything look good really, even Sunderland!

Activities- snowball fights, sledging of course.

Love the feeling of being inside after all that as well, hot chocolate in front of the falling snow is close to the greatest feel-good feeling :)