Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Well we ended up with 5cm in total. Didn't beat our 2010 total but still more than happy. It was a fantastic day!

Posted

Snowing again here!

Not only that but looked at the netweather snow risk forecast and it is giving me 80% likelihood of snow at some point every day up to wednesday!

Mental!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

NMM12z output is interesting for some of us, the hi-res output shows light to moderate snow pushing up from the South East to affect Wilts, east Dorset & Hampshire...as has been posted earlier, one to watch! smile.png

Could you post the chart please ajpoolshark? I'd like to have a gander at that, my full subscription ran out and i can't renew it just yet.. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

NMM12z output is interesting for some of us, the hi-res output shows light to moderate snow pushing up from the South East to affect Wilts, east Dorset & Hampshire...as has been posted earlier, one to watch! smile.png

Nice westward shift would be good for more of us..good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I would say that the ppn that's gathering along the Bristol Channel is raising my eyebrow !! They don't seem to be extending east much at the minute though. One to watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Could you post the chart please ajpoolshark? I'd like to have a gander at that, my full subscription ran out and i can't renew it just yet.. sad.png

your wish is my command...lol

2 hourly ppn grabs...9am & 11am

note the SE to NW push of the ppn!

post-4149-0-89646300-1358530388_thumb.pn

post-4149-0-01317900-1358530406_thumb.pn

Posted

Heavy hail showers in West Cornwall since darkness, is the colder air now starting to give us a visit, this is the most wintriness we have seen this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Absolutely fantastic day! Just love the snow! All arrived as forecast in fact the forecasting was spot on! Well done to the met men! and many thanks to all the clever and entertaining folk on here who seemed to produce the right charts at the right time and kept the anticipation going. Fingers crossed that the good people of Cornwall get a massive fall before the Winter's out. There is still so much to play (pray) for!

thank you for thinking of us. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just been up Cleeve Hill with my snowboard. Very strong winds have blown most of the snow away - few nice drifts to have a play on though.

What's it like in the rest of the Cotswolds? Anyone got a report...?

13cms at 70 meters up, more on the hills.

Went up the common early this morning (Rodborough) with the dog, 200 meters, blizzard conditions in a strong south easterly, drifts up to my waist in places, and this was at 8.30am. But as the snow was quite powdery it was blowing around a lot, so not a great base for snowboarding I would guess. Although on the west facing side accumulations were more uniform.

Brilliant day overall, have been out for most of it, am knackered now. Glass of red and a catch up on here is nice.

Posted

Ians forecast at 6.50 will be interesting for sunday imho.

I've just gone through the GFS ENS for Sunday Evening concentrating on the french low. Now i thought that the ops and nae had moved alot west. However most of the 20 ENS members go even further west giving snow for dorset and wilts. However totally to my surprise a fair few also bring it as far west as somerset and devon, included is the control run that takes it further west as well to effect us.

18 nae and gfs should take it further west than their ops runs, so tomorrows 00z will be crucial, but looking good, hoping ian can confirm some chances..

Edited by Iceberg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Is there anymore snow due tonight in my area? Or will it all be gone by morning :-(

It is all a matter of cold now. How cold it gets tonight, could lead to lots of snow in the right circumstances meterologicaly speaking, of course, if any percipitation were to occure.

If everything gets influenced from France.... the east Beast thingy....

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Glad everyone in the Bristol area had a great snow day! It's also an experience to be relished if you have snow showers coming off the Bristol Channel - I lived in Bristol half my life and only saw this a few times!

My area (St Ives in Cambridgeshire) only saw a couple of inches of snow this afternoon - but it's powder snow, that's not bad for one of the driest places in the UK. Good luck for Sundays snow, looks like we are going to get alot in the East.

Posted

The wind didn't seem very significant either today, anyone else find that? Or did I have a generally calm spot?

I thought that this morning as I was walking up the sheltered side of the Common, when I got to the exposed top, it was blowing a gale!! I guess the winds were most prevalent on higher ground and with an open southerly/south easterly aspect.

Ians forecast at 6.50 will be interesting for sunday imho.

I've just gone through the GFS ENS for Sunday Evening concentrating on the french low. Now i thought that the ops and nae had moved alot west. However most of the 20 ENS members go even further west giving snow for dorset and wilts. However totally to my surprise a fair few also bring it as far west as somerset and devon, included is the control run that takes it further west as well to effect us.

18 nae and gfs should take it further west than their ops runs, so tomorrows 00z will be crucial, but looking good, hoping ian can confirm some chances..

Good work Ice, I'll have a flick through them now.

Darrent Bett on BBC news said it "may well be further west".

One to watch, or should i say "another" one to watch.

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Heavy shower here at the moment but the flakes are tiny, got that nice orange glow in the sky as well.

Posted

Also to add the Met forecasts/ NAE etc have been spot on with this front, a big well done to those guys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

The wind didn't seem very significant either today, anyone else find that? Or did I have a generally calm spot?

Aye the wind was a key feature of this I was looking forward too but it seemed mostly calm for most of the time, with only a few bursts which caused some swirling of the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Mellow Octobers

Today was a day that will live long in the memory and makes you glad to be walking this earth! 5 inches of perfect powder snow. Went out at 10am with the wife and kids and have just come back. Was like walking in the Chronicles of Narnia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Temp now 0.6c and dp of 0c.

Looking at the official met office figures from early morning it dropped from 4.3c to 0.6c in less than 2 hours!! That's impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It has justed just jus started snowing here meteorically perfect snowflakes. Lovely.

How did I do that ?smiliz39.gif

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I don't wanto raise false hopes hear , but I THINK I'm seeing the beginning the first signs of back building on the radar , the ppn in the Bristol Channel is intense and moving east slowly, and the ppn towards Swindon is showing signs of growth.

Not saying its gonna be anything, but just an observation.