Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

and so, please carry on here...

just a repost of AWD's excellent 12z output summary from the last thread....

UKMO also similiar to the GFS. At 48 hours you have PPN coming out of France into SE England;

post-12721-0-73852900-1358525186_thumb.jpg

Like I said, could affect Hampshire and east Wiltshire. At 60 hours this continues north up the east coast, with a front pushing NE from the SW;

post-12721-0-47829200-1358525243_thumb.jpg

The front from the SW then makes inroads into the West Country and falls as snow as it hits the cold air;

post-12721-0-42860400-1358525305_thumb.jpg post-12721-0-10388700-1358525312_thumb.jpg

Again, not expecting anything too significant like today at this stage, but as we've seen this week, upgrades happen, so stay tuned folks.

....and also a top summary from Iceberg....

Quick round up of the 12z from me of the general themes for the next 72 hrs or so.

Generally keeping light snow for the sw in various places, well spread though for the next 24 hrs.

Saturday night looks a cold one to me, unless some cloud comes over early from french low -5 to -10's maybe under snow fields.

Sunday evening sees the french low move hampshire east wilts, east glos, however this is a signficant shift in the models from earlier, with a bigger system etc i wouldnt be surprised to see i dorset and parts of east somerset included in that for sunday night.

Monday sees the french low pull away northwards, but at the same time a band of precip come into cornwall and devon (could be a mixture of rain/sleet and snow).

Tuesday sees another band possible edge further east across the SW, if it gets to move northwards enough.

Beyond that is nomans land.

....old thread here ----------->

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So the south east is stealing our channel low aggressive.gif and the atlantic low makes no inroads into west country for snow rolleyes.gif

looks like a chilly and frosty week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

So the south east is stealing our channel low aggressive.gif and the atlantic low makes no inroads into west country for snow rolleyes.gif

Looking good for snow Monday/Tuesday currently. How heavy, I don't know. How marginal will need to be looked into over the next 24 hours too. UKMO also offers further snow potential midweek, so definetly a lot going on and a good chance of more of the white stuff for those who still haven't had enough. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yep! Just seen Ian's latest tweet.... Sounds interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Which was the forecast for this week back on Monday and look what happened today so never say never, who knows what could pop up next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Never mind, At least you will have snow on ground for your Birthday tomorrow, Have nice Birthday good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Yep! Just seen Ian's latest tweet.... Sounds interesting!

Link?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Link?

Ian F - Baroclinic feature sliding into SW Mon has all hallmarks of another forecast nightmare, on top of Sunday shenanigans

Posted

AJ & GTLTW

Got to go out soon and recover the mrs from her snow day drinking. There's a real danger I might fail and get dragged into it.

If Ian F pops in later can you pass on a big thank you on our behalf, especially from those of us who were on here last night. While we were being silly, he kept posting updates to keep us all reassured.

He doesn't have to come in here to placate us, but he's always clear, always consise and although this might only be the start we ought to get a thanks in early.

Cheers

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Lets just hope Cornwall may get in on the snow days this time .

Hope you all have enjoyed the snow while I was working in the rain :-(

Posted

Variable amounts of snow on my journeys around the local area today. Frome around 7-10cm, Maiden Bradley and Chapmanslade 15-20cm as you would expect with elevation. Not much drifiting as the wind was not that significant. Driving difficult for non-4x4 this morning but main roads fine by lunch time. No significant melt so far.

Posted

Here's the raw NAE 12z T48 snow accumulation chart with an easier to read scale. 10cm over a significant part of England and Wales.

post-18807-0-68184400-1358527412_thumb.g

Posted

Snow is falling from the heavens as I type. it's coming off the Bristol channel, showing as rain and then as soon as it hits land it becomes snow. Is this the infamous channel streamer? Am I in one of the sweet spots?

Thanks

Posted

Snow is falling from the heavens as I type. it's coming off the Bristol channel, showing as rain and then as soon as it hits land it becomes snow. Is this the infamous channel streamer? Am I in one of the sweet spots?

Thanks

It would seem that they are heading more ESE direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

AJ & GTLTW

Got to go out soon and recover the mrs from her snow day drinking. There's a real danger I might fail and get dragged into it.

If Ian F pops in later can you pass on a big thank you on our behalf, especially from those of us who were on here last night. While we were being silly, he kept posting updates to keep us all reassured.

He doesn't have to come in here to placate us, but he's always clear, always consise and although this might only be the start we ought to get a thanks in early.

Cheers

John

no worries, will do.....good luck with the 'recovery'! wink.png

Posted

Hi guys! Bit of a let down here :p got about 4cm of snow, although quite a bit had now thawed. Even with the on and off light snow through the day. Started snowing again. With some big chunks :D and more light snow expected overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Was surprised how remained all snow event here and temps today peaked at only 0.9c around mid day, Now drooped back to 0.5c, Proves do not need days of sub zero temps to ensure snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Went the Day Well

Posted

Was surprised how remained all snow event here and temps today peaked at only 0.9c around mid day, Now drooped back to 0.5c, Proves do not need days of sub zero temps to ensure snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Went the Day Well

South coast did well because of the Dew points i think very happy you saw some :)

Posted

Just been up Cleeve Hill with my snowboard. Very strong winds have blown most of the snow away - few nice drifts to have a play on though.

What's it like in the rest of the Cotswolds? Anyone got a report...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Sunshine,

Slow thaw here on the south coast of Hampshire..temp up to 2c..any chance of more snow here or will it all be gone by morning?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Great day for us here, around 4 inches has fallen throughout the day, enjoyed watching it fall, sadly too unwell to go out in it!!