Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

How is the depth looking in Nottingham? We seem to have a bit of a microclimate in among this group of buildings and from what I can see there is only a thin dusting. People in Notts seem to be getting a bit excited so I guess there is more than what I can see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

What i found amazing today, was the temperature actually dropping as the day wore on! When I checked the Braunstone Weather station at 7am this morning it said -0.9c. It now says -1.9c! So even though technically it's supposed to be the warmest part of the day, it's actually dropped a degree since 7am! It's going to be a cold one tonight that's for sure.

Posted

How is the depth looking in Nottingham? We seem to have a bit of a microclimate in among this group of buildings and from what I can see there is only a thin dusting. People in Notts seem to be getting a bit excited so I guess there is more than what I can see.

2cm extra here in Arnold, but still going.

Posted

Where the hell are the gritters, still stuck

They are out because my hubby is driving one!! And he is NOT stuck - just there are a LOT of roads in Northants and not 1000 gritters

Posted

Nottingham has a slight urban heat island effect and its quite noticable in cold weather like this when driving from one side to the other. Its usually 2-3'C warmer in the city centre than on the far outskirts. Plus you're unlikely to see lying snow on roads/paths there due to the sheer amount of traffic and copious amounts of salt the council have spread recently.

Posted

No real ease up in the intensity yet though radar suggests it should do soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A spell of heavier snow over the last couple of hours has meant that the road through the village is now passable only with 4x4s.

Haven't been out to measure the depth but would estimate 15 or 16cm.

Still snowing steadily with a fair amount of drifting in exposed areas.

Posted

Goodness me, I didn't realise how much snow had come down, we've had an extra 2in in top of the lying 4in. Very powdery, some beautiful flakes landed on my black ski gloves whilst collecting my child from school.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 18, 2013 - No reason given

Goodness me, I didn't realise how much snow had come down, we've had an extra 2in in top of the lying 4in. Very powdery, some beautiful flakes landed on my black ski gloves whilst collecting my child from school.

Racist.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 18, 2013 - No reason given

Racist.

Was there really any need for that? Goodness sake, this is a weather forum!

Posted

Was there really any need for that? Goodness sake, this is a weather forum!

It was quite obviously a harmless joke, never mind... I understand a sense of humor is not universal!

Moderate snowfall continues here, approaching 5cm's of fresh snow I believe.

Posted

Still absolutely gunning it down here!

A pic I took of the back garden 10 mins ago...

Looks great Andy. No let up here either, loving it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

It's good to see everyone's getting in on the act :)

Seems like all that worrying about whether the snow would reach us was a tad pointless!

Posted

Hi all , new on here !

Im in kimberley ( nottm) , currently very light tiny flakes , wondering if heavier amounts yet to come ?? Any updates as to the path being taken across the east midlands as met office did suggest heavy snow about this time and light snow for next few days !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

No snow in Belper all day :(

Just kidding lol. Snow in the centre of Belper with even the A6 quite icy. Just got back from the higher parts of the town and its an amazing scene with a good 10cm at least of snow, winds and drifting. Its mighty cold being out in though, the wind just cuts straight through.

Just going to check the charts now to see if I can expect anymore :)

Posted

What i found amazing today, was the temperature actually dropping as the day wore on! When I checked the Braunstone Weather station at 7am this morning it said -0.9c. It now says -1.9c! So even though technically it's supposed to be the warmest part of the day, it's actually dropped a degree since 7am! It's going to be a cold one tonight that's for sure.

I mentioned the same to the guys at work, that the temp is dropping during the day during snow fall.

Leicesters roads are turning into gridlock, managed to get home, but Hinckley road is just one queue of traffic with a icey layer starting to appear.

Was surprised how bad the roads were, but with a temp of -2.9c i can see why they are icing up and any snow fall is not melting even with grit.

Posted

Now stopped completely in Kimberley , if anything odd sleet shower ....... Would love a few hours of heavy snow but doesnt seem likely ???