Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Interesting to see that we could be getting up to another 10cm on sunday, could have substantial accumulations by midweek as we have another couple of snow events more or less certain to hit drinks.gif(potential for more before this cold spell ends too, it's ridiculous - no melt either!)

Posted

I was shocked at the 10cm count for Nottingham as well. More like 3-4 centimeters. Giving about 5 or 6 in total on untouched grass. It's still coming down quite a bit though at the moment.

Can't complaint too much!

Posted

Eastern areas of the E Mids in the sweet spot now, further intensification of the band - despite showing worrying signs a little earlier.

Heavy snowfall continues...

Posted

Yes but watnall is north of the city.

Where I teach in bestwood it was thick with snow at 4 pm, prob 7 cm then, with 4 cm from earlier in week.

Goes to show we have done quite well in the end with sunday looking very good at the moment!!

Posted

Yep! Seems to have picked up again, the radar showed a sudden intensification around 6pm. Garden wall index now at 7.5, so 3.5cm today but still carrying on with the same small flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Out in rural areas have got quite a bit more on the roads and pavements than the built up areas, so I could believe somewhere like Watnall could have 10cm when the city centre may have much less.

Still snowing here, tiny flakes but lots of them. And its sticking well too, the A6 is now white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Eastern areas of the E Mids in the sweet spot now, further intensification of the band - despite showing worrying signs a little earlier.

Heavy snowfall continues...

Do you know what this PPN is supposed to do as the evening wears on? From what I can tell, it is going to stick around the East Midlands and as the winds veer back E/SE the PPN that is over Lincolnshire and East Anglia will pivot and move slightly back Westwards again before fizzling out?

Posted

Do you know what this PPN is supposed to do as the evening wears on? From what I can tell, it is going to stick around the East Midlands and as the winds veer back E/SE the PPN that is over Lincolnshire and East Anglia will pivot and move slightly back Westwards again before fizzling out?

That's the general consensus, yes. Midnight onwards as the winds veer Easterly is when convection of the North Sea will begin making significant inroads inland.

Posted

That's the general consensus, yes. Midnight onwards as the winds veer Easterly is when convection of the North Sea will begin making significant inroads inland.

I'm getting very jammy with this band at the moment lol. It keeps looking like it's going to move North of Leicester but keeps building on the bottom edge about 10 miles south of Leicester, so it's keeping us under continuous light snow. If that PPN over Lincolnshire moves back inland a bit we could have snow for most of the night! Sunday is looking increasingly good as well.

Posted

Any idea when? If it moves south west slightly now this 9 and 1/2 hours of snow could continue for a while longer

Posted

Any idea when? If it moves south west slightly now this 9 and 1/2 hours of snow could continue for a while longer

I'm not sure but I would hazard a guess that it will pivot and edge slightly W/SW after 9pm.

Posted

Just took me 3hrs to do a 2.5 mile journery. Wow.

Heard on BBC Leicester that the Middlesborough bus was stuck in traffic on Narborough Road so the players are walking. One player took the train and then ran to the stadium from the station.

Edited by SL7

Posted

still snowing here in West Derbyshire, temps -3.2,

10 to 12cm of fresh powder snow, white when we have strong gusts. Met Office update gives 80% of heavy snow again at 9.00pm.

never mind tommorows potential.

help.gifhelp.gif