Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

really nasty out now, feel sorry for those making way home in these parts, temps here are -3.6, strong gusts and drifting snow.

Looks like another 20cm from now until Monday with no thaw.

Derby v Forest game will be called off ????, could be second time in three years its been cancelled becauce of snow.

Posted

Hi i'm just fown the road from you in Giltbrook smile.png

Hello !

Not much going off our way now :( .............. are we in line for a heavy cloudburst !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just walked down hinckley road! absolute standstill!

Which part did you just walk down? I was just walking along there with my Girlfriend 10 mins ago, walked from the Leisure Centre to the Caravan centre then crossed the railway line, we might have passed you lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just been to measure and 6cm outside my back door, so probably 7-8cm further away from the flat. Theres more over the hills so I think 10cm could be a good estimate.

post-2719-0-23728700-1358528730_thumb.jp

post-2719-0-41874200-1358528760_thumb.jp

post-2719-0-86528100-1358528809_thumb.jp

Posted

I can officialy say leicester has been battered by a blizzard today!!7 hours continuous snow!!oh n its still goin!!red warning anyone??

Not required. MetO have done pretty well with their warnings, and the snowfall totals predicted have verified as true for most areas.

Posted

Not required. MetO have done pretty well with their warnings, and the snowfall totals predicted have verified as true for most areas.

Pushing 10cm fresh snowfall here today, That must be pushing a red warning surely? Especially as it's rush hour now and the traffic is at a standstill on the main road around the corner from me.

Posted

Pushing 10cm fresh snowfall here today, That must be pushing a red warning surely? Especially as it's rush hour now and the traffic is at a standstill on the main road around the corner from me.

Tell me bout it!!i skidded countless amount of times!!red warning should have been issued!!

Posted

Lol - have you read what a red warning stands for?

10cm certainly does not require a red warning - people are just delusional. The amber warnings specified the likelihood for the totals that have fallen. The warnings tell the public accurate totals and warns them of potential travel disruption. From checking all the public transport services - some disruption has occurred, but some remain running. Thus the amber warning sums it up perfectly.

Well done MetO.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

Yeah I know the red warning is for 20cm+ but surely if snow falls for 7 hours and counting with the rush hour at a stand still... That warrants a severe weather warning? My Girlfriend had to leave work at 2pm and even then on the way home from Coalville she skidded in the car at 10mph. Since 2pm we've had quite a bit more snow.

Posted

Got to be honest i have seen a lot heavier snow than this in the leicester area in the 80's /90's i can remember snow drifts higher than our car, now that would of been a red warning good.gif

I think the road's are bad due to it being so cold, we normally have temps just above freezing when we have snow, so the roads are slushy rather than frozen which leads to less problems, temps have been well below freezing all day.

Posted

Unreal - 1hr 30 mins I've been on Londojn Rd and have k

Unreal - 1hr 30 mins I've been on Londojn Rd and have moved around mile in total!

Posted

Which part did you just walk down? I was just walking along there with my Girlfriend 10 mins ago, walked from the Leisure Centre to the Caravan centre then crossed the railway line, we might have passed you lol.

Past BP garage must have missed you by about 200 metres haha!

Posted

Yeah I know the red warning is for 20cm+ but surely if snow falls for 7 hours and counting with the rush hour at a stand still... That warrants a severe weather warning? My Girlfriend had to leave work at 2pm and even then on the way home from Coalville she skidded in the car at 10mph. Since 2pm we've had quite a bit more snow.

The amber warning IS a severe warning. Today has been a perfect definition for it, the warning covers everything that's happened. I'm struggling to see your point.

Posted

Unreal - 1hr 30 mins I've been on Londojn Rd and have k

Unreal - 1hr 30 mins I've been on Londojn Rd and have moved around mile in total!

That's going to cause havoc with the Leicester match tonight, i'm surprised it's still on, a lot of people won't be able to get to the game in time if they are coming from outside of Leicester!

The amber warning IS a severe warning. Today has been a perfect definition for it, the warning covers everything that's happened. I'm struggling to see your point.

Oh, fair enough.

Didn't expect us to get this much though.

Posted

Red is for danger to life. Amber is pretty severe anyhow

In Nottingham, snow seems to be a little bit heavier now.

Was a little surprised to see on the BBC news 24 forecast a snow league table and Nottingham had 10cm, though a few of them are from Mondays event. The Nottingham site is in watnall which is a way out of the city and a bit higher up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Awesome drive home. Took quite a while due to traffic but on the backroads managed to sneak in a few little slow speed drifts when there was nothing about to hit :D

Posted

That's going to cause havoc with the Leicester match tonight, i'm surprised it's still on, a lot of people won't be able to get to the game in time if they are coming from outside Leicester

I can't make it now and I'm furious that it appears to be going ahead. The conditions are appalling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dramatic

That means you walked past my house - traffic's been like that since about 3:30pm.good.gif

Posted

Yep not bad desipte all the worry by everyone on here this morning, yet still i wait for another 81/82 event,7 ft drfits and villages cut off in Northants and Leics, this is good but no cigar.

For all who always ask how much and will it snow imby then only way is really knowing is to open the door look up and have a ruler handy for when it's finished, although i think the Meto did actually nail this one.

Bring on Sunday when we may or may not get a shed load more.

Posted

That means you walked past my house - traffic's been like that since about 3:30pm.good.gif

Haha, it's awesome how many people there is in here that live around Western Park! The park looks beautiful, i'm really not looking forward to work tomorrow though, working this Weekend and I have to cycle around different houses in LE3 as a domiciliary carer. I might just walk but some of the calls are in Glenfield, Rowley Fields, Fosse Road North etc... All spread out and awkwarddoh.gif