Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 18/01/13 14z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Just shy of 9cms (c.3.5 inches) here and snizzled out about 2.30pm.

It's about the the same as we had in Dec 10,

Plenty of deeper drifts in the fileds, which the dogs loved, especially the youngest you'd not seen snow before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Don't think the snow on Sunday will make it to the West Midlands well stoke any way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Don't think the snow on Sunday will make it to the West Midlands well stoke any way

needs to be further west than forecast, at the moment we look good for snow, but not a lot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Pub now, ski jacket, hat, moon boots and a walk :-) its only flaming brilliant!

Posted

If you lived where i live and have watched literally 80% of snow events that have hit other parts of the region, miss this one, you'd understand what i mean, just ask Leicester folk biggrin.png

but thats quite IMBY, on a countrywide scale, its been fairly good in areas but i don't know if id class it with one of the greats, certainly not in many parts of the west midlands. we'll see whats to come. im content with today anyway, a good 8cm of snow and very wintry all round.

Posted

dont really wanna look on model thread, will take enjoyment of this away, but GFS been concering, but UKMO stays cold well into thursday with no sign of mild mush

yeah quite grim really, just enjoy the moment i guess. we've had a good snowfall today and ive made full use of it, good walk and a decent snowball fight! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Ended up with around 16 cms here, in excess of 20 on gardens, very heavy snow between 8 and 12 today but tapered off in the afternoon leaving just the odd flake now. Best snow event since feb 09, better than anything in dec 10 which was comparatively poor for this area with never more than 15cms of lying snow at anytime.

Posted

So with the main snow band slowly moving north east, heavy showers moving west off the north sea, what's going to happen next? Do things just fizzle out or do things move west again? Can't tell what's going to happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I have to say this is 'better' than Dec 2010 for brum. An awesome day.

So with the main snow band slowly moving north east, heavy showers moving west off the north sea, what's going to happen next? Do things just fizzle out or do things move west again? Can't tell what's going to happen!

I'd say flurries, some bouts of localised heavier snow now and then - exciting times!!

Posted

I have to say this is 'better' than Dec 2010 for brum. An awesome day.

I'd say flurries, some bouts of localised heavier snow now and then - exciting times!!

So the main band is going to fizzle out to flurries? It seems to have nowhere to go but back here!

Still snowing lightly here by the way. 26 hours of non-stop snow now (unless there was a break in the night last night!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

As far as I can see, ECM and UKMO prolonging the cold at this stage. GFS breaks it down but hasn't it been doing that for the last week? look where we are now. Infact, i read a post on here v.late last night proclaiming 'GFS has it too far west, it's game over for WM' again, look where we are now.

L

Posted

As far as I can see, ECM and UKMO prolonging the cold at this stage. GFS breaks it down but hasn't it been doing that for the last week? look where we are now. Infact, i read a post on here v.late last night proclaiming 'GFS has it too far west, it's game over for WM' again, look where we are now.

L

GFS has been trying to rush the Atlantic back in for the last 8-9 days now. Can't be entirely discounted, but you can see why most doubt it's reliability right now.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

decent 8-10cms over the day, although expected more initially, after last night, was dreading that we may only get 5cms maximum. Not sure quite as much as 2010 but not far off.

Tuesday could be interesting, heavy snow spreading from the southwest during the day to the West Midlands according to UKMO.

Roads are pretty good for the depth of snowfall due to the steady fall. Can imagine tomorrow morning could be abit dicey though!

There seems to be plenty of potential in the next few days as the cold stays with us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

As Dorrie would say. (Slightly diff I kno) just keep snowing, just keep snowing lalala snowing snowing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

About 10 inches here and still coming down. Nice showers bubbling up out west too

Posted

Is it me or is it starting to slip south-eastwards? Still some heavy bursts north west of here...not sure they would reach here even with a change of direction though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

needs to be further west than forecast, at the moment we look good for snow, but not a lot

For your perusal peeps some views of Sundays potential snow coming from a low moving north off the continent within the disrupting trough.

2 HR models at T48hrs-the NMM courtesy of NW Extra.and the UKMO raw.

post-2026-0-13015200-1358531340_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-58531100-1358531353_thumb.gipost-2026-0-47549300-1358531511_thumb.gi

and at T60hrs from GFS and UKMO raw

post-2026-0-02810000-1358531561_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-60057000-1358531541_thumb.gi

all from the 12z runs of course.

At the moment locations further east in our region look more favoured for the highest totals but at this range of course things can change as we all know.

Posted

Looking carefully at the radar, things look like they get interesting again within a few hours. I might be wrong but things seem to be moving towards each other with us in the middle? Am I seeing things that aren't happening? Please shut me up if I am!

What do others think?

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Looking carefully at the radar, things look like they get interesting again within a few hours. I might be wrong but things seem to be moving towards each other with us in the middle? Am I seeing things that aren't happening? Please shut me up if I am!

What do others think?

raintoday knackered! like yesterdays snow kinda did that, very light snow falling now