Cold?
IGNORED

" It was Well Forecast "

Neilsouth

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I know for a fact that some of our members don't like other members blowing their own trumpet regarding, well forecasted weather. However every forecast I've seen so far on the beeb since 9am has said " it was well forecast " and " We accuractly forecasted it ". Yet if they EVER get a bad forecast, it's pushed under the carpet as if they did no wrong.

I for one always turn to net weather for my forecasts, atleast you get different view points on the weather!

Posted

I know for a fact that some of our members don't like other members blowing their own trumpet regarding, well forecasted weather. However every forecast I've seen so far on the beeb since 9am has said " it was well forecast " and " We accuractly forecasted it ". Yet if they EVER get a bad forecast, it's pushed under the carpet as if they did no wrong.

I for one always turn to net weather for my forecasts, atleast you get different view points on the weather!

Where they (Met O forecasts) forecasted snow such areas had/have it and on time. Here (I am in south Devon atm) I was dubious about their forecast for sleet early today but this morning it was exactly what we got - there was snow on Dartmoor as forecast as well. It does, though, look like S Wales might not see as much snow as thought.

Edited by Devonian

Posted

I was up about 3am and noted some said it was actually raining at first in parts of Wales, wonder if that had an affect on the 20cm?

Posted

The forecast was very wrong if you look at the fine detail.

Snow was meant to start at 2/3AM but there was heavy rain from 2-4AM and then it snowed heavily for around 7 (11AM/12PM) hours. Whereas forecast said it would heavy snow from 2AM until past midnight. V wrong but in general it was ok.

Not that i'm complaining about the dumping of heavy snow we've had. :D

Edited by ginkrots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Got our forecast wrong was supposed to start snowing from 12 PM onwards and here we are at 17:13 and no sign of a snowflake.

If they new where you lived they would have got it right ?? search.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

They did very well with the main event here, timing were a bit out though,

Yesterday was the problem as I don't think they expected the light snow to be so prolonged.

They did very well last Monday with the 'let down' as well. So the forecasts have been OK for here this week.

Posted

Very close to what was forecast both at home and here in Surrey really - if anything slightly higher totals in Egham than they suggested yesterday.

Anyway I often find it's the other way round i.e people don't remember when they're right but they/the media can sometimes be all over it when they're wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Got our forecast wrong was supposed to start snowing from 12 PM onwards and here we are at 17:13 and no sign of a snowflake.

They have pushed it back 7 hours now here.

Posted

I've been under yellow all day, even Kaddy was harping on about 2cm and our time was still to come tonight.

Yeh what ever, still though they've been accuate and knew this was going to happen *G*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ok, they had my area in the Amber zone but by last night had forecasted 'patchy light snow' so they can't have it both ways.

but what did you forecast? no snow for Staffs and Shrops? been best event here since '96, most of Staffs had around 10cms

Posted

but what did you forecast? no snow for Staffs and Shrops? been best event here since '96, most of Staffs had around 10cms

Yes Mark, but it could have easily gone wrong with that front correction yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

3 inches fell in central Edinburgh and around 6 inches in the Borders in a matter of 2-3 hours (so much so that the airport had to close for it) without an orange warning out. I understand the focus on the frontal snow in the south but clearly there are still major issues with forecasting convective snow off the North Sea.

Posted

3 inches fell in central Edinburgh and around 6 inches in the Borders in a matter of 2-3 hours (so much so that the airport had to close for it) without an orange warning out. I understand the focus on the frontal snow in the south but clearly there are still major issues with forecasting convective snow off the North Sea.

We're either hardy souls expected to just cope, or BBC Scotland ought to invest in a monitor and internet connection to look at the radar occasionally and work out what is actually happening like the rest of us manage to.

Posted

I thought the METO forecast was very good. Many of you lot are so up yourself.

We're either hardy souls expected to just cope, or BBC Scotland ought to invest in a monitor and internet connection to look at the radar occasionally and work out what is actually happening like the rest of us manage to.

Or we could just stick to NW and ignore MisReporting Scotland, problem solved.

The Met-O failed miserably up here today, and not for the first time as many other residents of Scotland will testify.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

And they are all better than senior forecasters with many years of experience, Come back C.S. Lewis all is forgiven.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't worry about it. Whisky, haggis and neeps in six days time. And they were spot on with south wales concerning the red warning.

I agree, absolutely, I do have a lot of time for the Met Office and actually most of their forecasting has been very good, but I still feel there are notable blackspots, notably when they are dealing with frontal in one part of the country and convectional in another. They absolutely nailed the front but in doing so didn't really warn people adequately about another disruptive event this evening, even though there was a fair bit of model support for that outcome (not to mention the radar).

Posted

Thanks for completely missing the point of my post and then throwing that little jab

Posted

I find it hard to be too critical of the Met Office in this instance. Snow depths are notoriously difficult to forecast, even more so in a battleground scenario where a slight change in the positioning of the front can make a big difference in how much you get. This could easily have been a lot worse than it actually was.

If anyone needs shooting it's the BBC radio presenter who said NW England would get nothing. fool.gif