Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

This is something I would like to see and is rare on low ground in towns, but the norm to see drifts everywhere if you take a trip up to somewhere like Buxton. Also helps if the temperatures are below freezing making the snow less sticky.

Yes.....I can count the times on one hand where I have seen drifting snow at my location.....I have only ever really experienced blizzard conditions high up,the last time being on the Snake Pass.

Posted

The snow is accumalating so slowly I had not noticed it...I was really quite surprised looking out the window just now.Anyone else still have falling snow?

Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

That's very wierd - I'm only up the road from you on Buckshaw Village and it's exactly the opposite. The gritted paths are wet but largely snow free but the grass and soil has a decent covering. Can still see grass through it but I'm thinking about a cm might have fallen - there's also a fair few corners with "mini drifts"

Tis weird, maybe we are sheltered here near worden park.

Posted

Looks like the end pretty soon though, some nice big flakes still coming down albeit very light.

Can't complain though, earlier on I didn't expect to be saying that we've had over 9 hours straight of snow tonight. Let's hope we do well tomorrow with the main band, fingers crossed!

Posted

Really pepped up here now......continuously the heaviest snow there has been here and ,though still patchy due to gritting ,there is a good covering building up to about 0.5cm in places,1.5cm where wind blown.....it is warmer than anticipated I have to say,1.5c currently,though still bitter with wind chill.

Edited by greybing

Posted

I think there is a chance this could get pushed back westwards as it encounters the block to the east and with the influence of the main band starting to pivot north eastwards.

Good or bad pal?

Posted

Good in the short term, its actually started snowing here again, but also good in the long term because the main band is going to push in from the south not the west, could be on to something here I think!

Sounds promising! Yup snowing here aswell heaviest it's been since it started still nothing to shout home about but as it wasn't expected its good

Sounds promising! Yup snowing here aswell heaviest it's been since it started still nothing to shout home about but as it wasn't expected its good

The occluded front we have now has hit the block to the east and probably the pennines as well to be honest, with strong south easterly winds as well its pushing it back into the north west. Now if the main band was coming straight in off the atlantic I think it would just go over us and give us perhaps a few hours of snowfall before steaming through over the pennines. But because its coming up from the south the chances are it could stall over us tomorrow afternoon and into the night.

Posted

The occluded front we have now has hit the block to the east and probably the pennines as well to be honest, with strong south easterly winds as well its pushing it back into the north west. Now if the main band was coming straight in off the atlantic I think it would just go over us and give us perhaps a few hours of snowfall before steaming through over the pennines. But because its coming up from the south the chances are it could stall over us tomorrow afternoon and into the night.

That would be a result!

Posted

Still refusing to give up here too. Very light though now. Oh well I should really sleep but might as well wait for the 0Z now lol

Posted

This could be the perfect setup, don't take my comments lightly I've seen every setup you can imagine before but this is looking increasingly significant for the North West. Expect Met Office Warnings to be upgraded in the coming hours.

This time yesterday everyone was saying how wrong you were! Oh and look there is snow so look forward to the upgrades

This time yesterday everyone was saying how wrong you were! Oh and look there is snow so look forward to the upgrades

I got totally slated and briefly banned from posting, I had been drinking so I went a little too far so was justified. But I'm passionate and I say what I see not what I want to see if that makes sense.

Posted

I got totally slated and briefly banned from posting, I had been drinking so I went a little too far so was justified. But I'm passionate and I say what I see not what I want to see if that makes sense.

Nothing wrong with passion , although could def tell you had a few lol

Posted

Still snowing here with moderate flakes and that main band is now very close, these 2 areas are going to intersect.

Was just thinking the same looking at the radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Latest BBC forecast "Northwest England escaping the worse of it" rofl.gif