Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the North West...

Link to the previous one here:

Posted

Good evening folks, at work on my last night in bury. Still snowing light in a slight breeze! Roads are clear slight covering on the side roads!

Edited by cfallon

Posted

Yes the current band is now suddenly dying a death as it was always likely too. In my simple understanding it was a large "bubble" of warm air that broke free from the main low out to the west and floated up over the cold air on the strengthening breeze. It will have held a finite amount of moisture and any increased temperature will have now mixed out with the colder block bringing an end to the fun and games for now - it's been a fascinating day of weather and model watching!

Posted

you work late

Nights mate, someone's got to do them, unfortunately that's me!

Posted

Nights mate, someone's got to do them, unfortunately that's me!

aye....................geez,it really is cold out there tonght with that wind chill,snow still lightly falling,really is pretty. Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Well 5 hours of the most extreme lightest snow I have ever witnessed. So light that there is barely any accumulation on the ground - as if there has been a moderate frost.

Can't explain how dissappointed I am right now - for days I read forecasts here in the Lakes of heavy continuous snowfall giving huge depths not seen in years - only to get let down with this cr@p.

But I've been here so many times before, and will do again. I Why I get so bothered I don't know it's so pathetic. All the best to everyone else though...

Edited by Barmada Casten

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

This snows so weird,must be 7 hrs now of snow falling, some large flakes,some heavy bursts all blowing about in the bitter wind but for some reason it likes roads and pavements but doesnt like grass at all !

Well 5 hours of the most extreme snow I have ever witnessed. So light that there is barely any accumulation on the ground - as if there has been a moderate frost.

Can't explain how dissappointed I am right now - for days I read forecasts here in the Lakes of heavy continuous snowfall giving huge depths not seen in years -0 only to get this cr@p.

But I've been here so many times before, and will do again. I Why I get so bothered I don't know it's so pathetic. All the best to everyone else though...

i think many of us feel just like you,a word of advise tho,dont go anywhere near the welsh or irish threads tmorrow that will make you feel rea bad

Posted

This snows so weird,must be 7 hrs now of snow falling, some large flakes,some heavy bursts all blowing about in the bitter wind but for some reason it likes roads and pavements but doesnt like grass at all !

I have noticed this.

Posted

Can't explain how dissappointed I am right now - for days I read forecasts here in the Lakes of heavy continuous snowfall giving huge depths not seen in years - only to get let down with this cr@p.

Tell me about it, i have not got anything done all day ever since I saw the downgrade, it was like a stab to the heart, it's starting to take over my life this snow obsession.

Posted

That's very wierd - I'm only up the road from you on Buckshaw Village and it's exactly the opposite. The gritted paths are wet but largely snow free but the grass and soil has a decent covering. Can still see grass through it but I'm thinking about a cm might have fallen - there's also a fair few corners with "mini drifts"

Posted

Tell me about it, i have not got anything done all day ever since I saw the downgrade, it was like a stab to the heart, it's starting to take over my life this snow obsession.

Same here.Usually I am very cautious but this time I got carried away and I paid for though now i've just give up on any hope and it is such a relief..no hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I have noticed this.

Without meaning to be sarky its "The Wind". It tends not to accumilate well when the snow comes in side ways rather than downwards blum.gif Often you'll only see a dusting unless its massive flakes and persistent. Look near the kerbs and I'm sure there will be a cm or so clumped up against it lol.

Still snowing here with a topup of about 2cm on top of what we already had. Can't really complain.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Without meaning to be sarky its "The Wind". It tends not to accumilate well when the snow comes in side ways rather than downwards blum.gif Often you'll only see a dusting unless its massive flakes and persistent. Look near the kerbs and I'm sure there will be a cm or so clumped up against it lol.

Still snowing here with a topup of about 2cm on top of what we already had. Can't really complain.

Yes,this is what I thought.What is sunusual to see for me though is WIND with snow ...it does not often happen here........it is usually very calm when it snows. Edited by greybing

Yes the current band is now suddenly dying a death as it was always likely too. In my simple understanding it was a large "bubble" of warm air that broke free from the main low out to the west and floated up over the cold air on the strengthening breeze. It will have held a finite amount of moisture and any increased temperature will have now mixed out with the colder block bringing an end to the fun and games for now - it's been a fascinating day of weather and model watching!

It was the remnants of a front that crossed Ireland on Wednesday and became reinvigorated.

Going off the latest 18z high res GFS precipitation - http://91.121.16.5/modeles_gfs/runs/2013011718/42-777.GIF?17-18 - roughly speaking by lunchtime Saturday Liverpool 18mm, Warrington 11mm, Manchester 7mm. which might convert to between say 3 and 7 inches of snow. Of course there is doubt with any model figures, but these have been consistent for the past few days from run to run, sometimes more, sometimes less.

One slight spanner in the works is that temperatures pretty much across the country are higher at the moment than forecast, probably as a result of all the cloud cover this evening. Temperatures may fall later in the night, and there will be evaporative cooling when the front arrives, so it's not a question of being marginal - even on the coast there should be an offshore wind - but in some places the snow may be wetter than hoped.

Interesting the effects of elevation and urban heat island - as usual the snow in south Warrington this evening has left a patchy 1cm wet cover, but go a mile or two out of town and 70+ metres higher and there was more snow back at 7pm, and it was dry with temperatures a degree colder. The golf course will be packed with sledgers this weekend!

Posted

graphics for met office are dreadful, gone from light snow to overcast but everything else says otherwise..

This topic was already covered in the last thread, apparently the MetO are having problems with the symbols for 'some areas', either way we'll know for sure by this time tomorrow.

Edited by SnowObsessor90

Posted

Interesting the effects of elevation and urban heat island - as usual the snow in south Warrington this evening has left a patchy 1cm wet cover, but go a mile or two out of town and 70+ metres higher and there was more snow back at 7pm, and it was dry with temperatures a degree colder. The golf course will be packed with sledgers this weekend!

Yes I think we're seeing that in my area too just now - I'm at around 70M but the members a few miles down the road in Leyland are lower and more urbanised. I'm seeing a cm or so on the grass and good piles (mini-drifts) but down the road it's struggling to stick at all even though they've essentially had the same snowfall. It definitely felt relatively warmer too when the snow started but it's feeling bitterly cold again now.

Edited by wysiwyg

Yes,this is what I thought.What is sunusual to see for me though is WIND with snow ...it does not often happen here........it is usually very calm when it snows.

This is something I would like to see and is rare on low ground in towns, but the norm to see drifts everywhere if you take a trip up to somewhere like Buxton. Also helps if the temperatures are below freezing making the snow less sticky.